Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rear turn signals, must they be a set amount of space apart? If that is the case would integrated signals be out of the question? I was doing a search earlier today and saw something about 6 or 9 inches apart. Never got a chance to finish reading it though.

G

·
I'm pretty sure that DOT specs call out criteria for brightness and distance from the bike's center line or between the signals. The manufacturers aren't putting those long, ugly stalks on just because they like to annoy their customers.

Integrated turn signal/brake lights are a bad idea. Well, unless you like getting rear-ended.

Spazumo

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
hey as long as it passes inspection.. who cares ;D

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Integrated signals look cool - but sacrifice significant function for form. There is minimum width that's legal, but I have yet to see or hear of anyone being ticketed.

I thought about doing it until I followed a few riders and realized that you could barely tell they were signaling. It seems silly considering the added risk.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
First, I'm back home after three weeks of Katrina wandering, and it feels great.

Second, there are DOT requirements, but you've got to check your local laws and how they are enforced. This varies quite a bit. Where I live integrated signals will get you a ticket promptly even if you leave the standard turn signals in place and functioning (alters function of brake light and taillight). The lights have to stay where the manufacturer put them. You can change the lights themselves, but the location can't be changed.

Other problems you would have is that you couldn't get a brake tag = can't get insurance = they take your plate away (or if you're caught riding without insurance the bike would be seized and you would be in for a $500 fine).

On the other hand you're required to have a front fender, but this is almost never enforced unless in conjunction with another infraction. Check locally and make sure you won't have legal problems before you do the mod.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Andy, glad to have you back. Hope everything is going reasonably well, all things considered. Your contributions here are so valuable. Best, Mike.

G

·
There's DOT requirements, but it's the state vehicle code that will dictate whether or not you get a ticket. Try seaching the DMV for your particular state, or check the AMA's website.

:)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Here in MN, it is not required to have turn signals as long as you use hand signals.
Some states do require it and I'd highly advise to keep turnsignals as far away from center and as bright as possible without sacrificing fashion for the main function.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would have to worry about all states requirements. Being in the military I move quite a bit. Didn't know if there was a minimum requirement that all states agreed on. Thanx for the input.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
ronlarimer said:
DOT code is 12 inches bulb to bulb
Yes I was about to say that. Not sure if it varies by state but I know my bike was "illegal" at inspection time, fortunately I'm "hooked" up and with my turn signals being 10 inches apart, its not a big deal anyways.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts