Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an '05 sv650s. I'm looking to upgrade in two main areas, comfort and performance. I would like to have liter bike power, but I just can't seem to find anything that is very comfortable. Low bars don't really bother me, but I need a decent seat and a fairly relaxed seat to peg distance. I'm open for any suggestions, I prefer a full-faired sport bike but it is not a requirement. I would even consider some of the bikes over 1000cc if they fit the bill, but I haven't seen any of them in dealerships to tell how comfy they are. The other bike I'm kinda looking at is the yzf600r, I know it fits the comfort bill perfectly, but I'm not sure it will be the kind of performance upgrade that I'm looking for. Any opinions and suggestions are much appreciated.

·
Registered
93 Posts
sargent seat... but if you're looking to get liter bike performance out of your 650... you might be dissapointed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bster13 said:
Vstrom 1000 baby!  ;D

I have an SV and a YZF600r.  The straightline is no comparison.  At the track my buddies with YZF's go right by me on the back straight.  Test ride one.  I'm in Norwalk, CT and my Street bike, my YZF600r will go for sale shortly.

That sounds promising to me. Since you have both bikes I think you can be very helpful to me. How about in the twisties, which do you think is better? What about acceleration from a stop, and passing acceleration? Do you have to keep shifting the yzf to keep it in the power? Does the yzf have enough power to make the front wheel hover under hard acceleration? By your previous answer, I'm not sure if you meant the yzf is just better for high speed or for actual acceleration.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bster13 said:
How much riding experience do u have?  Is there a reason u want the liter?  This might help us come up with some suggestions for you.

On the street, I only have a couple years experience. But I've grown up on dirt bikes and I had a couple of 500 two strokes, so I know a little about throttle control ;). Basically the only reason I want the bigger bikes is that I love that instant get up and go factor. I'm a power junkie in every sense of the word, I love hard acceleration. The SV just doesn't do it for me, it never really did. I know that the yzf600 is plenty fast enough for me, I just don't know if it'll give me that instant kick in the pants that'll put a grin on my face.

·
Registered
213 Posts
based off your last response, though probably the best/most comfortable street sportbike every made, it probably won't fit the bill for you:

SV650S 7/03
HP-> 69.0
TQ-> 45.1
Wet weight-> 433
Avg MPG-> 47.8
top speed-> 128
0-60-> 3.61
0-100-> 9.07
1/4 mile-> 11.63
60-0 braking-> 119.04

YZF600R 5/97

HP-> 85.6
TQ-> 44.3
Wet weight-> 486
Avg MPG-> 42.9
top speed-> 149
0-60-> 3.42
0-100-> 7.70
1/4 mile-> 11.17
60-0 braking-> 108.2

·
Registered
899 Posts
The yzf600r is a dog man! Old carburated engine and heavy frame with little more power than the SV! If your friends are smoking you on a 600r, then there is something wrong with your bike!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hmmm...the only place the liter bike can really flex its muscles over and above a 600 is the track...and that is in the straights only...reference Cycleworld (couple months ago)...superbike shootout in Spain...the 636 carried as good even slightly better corner times and speeds than the zx-10.  Lap time differences came from the front and back straight speeds.....something like 140 vs. 160.   Have fun but stay alive.  

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
StinkWhistle said:
Hmmm...the only place the liter bike can really flex its muscles over and above a 600 is the track...and that is in the straights only...reference Cycleworld (couple months ago)...superbike shootout in Spain...the 636 carried as good even slightly better corner times and speeds than the zx-10.  Lap time differences came from the front and back straight speeds.....something like 140 vs. 160.   Have fun but stay alive.  

I disagree with this opinion, first I will state that I do not plan to stretch the legs on any of these bikes. I know that I have nowhere near the skill to ride any of these bikes to their full potential, especially in the twisties. My SV has plenty of top speed for me. That is not a concern of mine at all, but I do care very much about how quickly the bike can get from say 0-60 or from 60-80. When I twist that throttle for even just a split second, I want the bike to accelerate like a missile. I could care less about whether a bikes top speed is 130 or 200. I also like to have that power on tap that enables me to rapidly pass vehicles at highway speeds without clicking down three gears. And it's also not what I need, the SV is fine in this category, but what I want. I want that adrenaline rush that comes with amazing acceleration.

After looking further, I think the FZ1 would be a good candidate for me. I'm not too interested in the big SV mainly because I don't think it is as comfy as what I want. Two other bikes on my short list are the new Triumph Sprint and the Kaw. ZZR1200. I am a little concerned that these bikes won't handle quite that well though.

This problem would be 100% solved if Yamaha made the yzf600r with an r1 engine in it. I love the comfort of that bike.

Another thing to consider is that I'm a pretty big (read "fat") guy. I'm 5'10, 250lbs.

·
Registered
213 Posts
That is not a concern of mine at all, but I do care very much about how quickly the bike can get from say 0-60 or from 60-80. When I twist that throttle for even just a split second, I want the bike to accelerate like a missile. I could care less about whether a bikes top speed is 130 or 200.
Play with your gearing first. It's cheap.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you are looking for comfort and power look at the

FJR 1300
ST1200

and the BMW k1200s or even an r1100s, both are relatively tame, very smooth riding with very ample power.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OKcommuter said:
If you are looking for comfort and power look at the

FJR 1300
ST1200

and the BMW k1200s or even an r1100s, both are relatively tame, very smooth riding with very ample power. 

What is the ST1200? who makes that bike?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts