Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought the hotbodies undertail from a guy on this board but dont have any instructions on how to install it. Is there any sites that show the install step by step?

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I'll give you the best little write up I can do on here. I don't know if it is the same for the 650 as it is for the 1000, or which bike you have for that matter, but here goes:

FYI: I opted to keep the stock undertail in place, and just do minor trimming as necessary. Some people trim the stock undertail off where it meets the Hotbodies, but I personally did not like that idea.

I am starting this also assuming that you already got rid of the rear fender.

Disclaimer: You are going to permanently alter the stock undertail with this procedure, so be warned.

1. Remove seat and side plate covers.
2. remove rear seat or cowl.
3. There are four bolts holding the stock undertail to the frame of the bike. Loosen the front two and remove the rear two.
4. Trim the extended sides of the stock undertail, the sections that have the holes for the plastic rivets that held it to the rear bodywork. The new Hotbodies undertail is going to be rivited in there later.
5. Push the stock undertail up into the frame of the bike, making it so that the plastic supports for the rear of the stock undertail are about 1/2 inch higher than original, and look to see where you need to drill a new hole in the above mentioned plastic rear undertail support, to use the stock mounting point. That is a whole lotta words for saying you are going to relocate the mounting hole for the rear sides of the stock undertail.
6. I wanted my stock undertail to be really held in place, so I drilled two more holes in the underside of the stock undertail, so that it could now be bolted, with the stock bolts, to two of the four open holes from the original rear fender mounting points.
7. Get a rough idea of where the blinker wires for the Hotbodies are going to need to come up through the stock undertail, and drill them through too.
8. I personally liked the stock Suzuki blinker connectors, so I snipped them from the stock blinkers and wired them into the Hotbodies undertails wires. The hotbodies comes with LED blinkers, which wil make them blink too fast. You need to wire in a resistor to overcome this issue. Here is what you need for that:
RadioShack
10 ohm 10W 5% Wirewound Resistor pk/2
$1.69
Catalog #: 271-132
and a link to the site that explains it: http://www.81x.com/WTObjectFrame.aspx?ProjectID=51753&Page=005&RND=683849290

In wiring these in, it is pretty simple. Connect your positives and negative wires for each blinker. Then picture those as being the two vertical sides to the letter "H". The resistor then goes accross, between the postive and negative, making the horizontal section of the "H". Wrap the Resistor with some sort high heat tape, because it will get hot when the blinker is on.

9. Mount up the new undertail with the stock plastic rivets and you are done. I will warn you that I had to push and prod my Hotbodies to get to line up with the rivets holes, but in the end, it saw things my way.

:wink:

Good luck
:lol:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, think i better get some friends involved, im horrible with this junk :eek:P

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Tampa said:
Thanks, think i better get some friends involved, im horrible with this junk :eek:P
LOL, good luck.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
bluecurvy27 said:
just wanted to say thanks, i just got my hotbodies undertail and the directions are quite vague, your step by step will be a great help
Wow, I am glad my almost year old post helped out another. Happy riding.

·
Registered
179 Posts
be prepared to do a lot of dremmeling. i dont' know if it was just me or not, but i thought installation was a nightmare. but once its on there, its looks great!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sorry to bump such an old thread.
But a least I searched first.

I need to replace my rear plastics on the (rider's) left side. I have the platics but not the plastic rivits. And to make this question more germane to the thread, I am planning on installing the hotbodies undertail.

So the question:

Once I pop out the plastic rivits, will I be able to re-use them or do I need to get new ones from a dealer before I start??

Thanks.

Jake D

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Jake D said:
Sorry to bump such an old thread.
But a least I searched first.

I need to replace my rear plastics on the (rider's) left side. I have the platics but not the plastic rivits. And to make this question more germane to the thread, I am planning on installing the hotbodies undertail.

So the question:

Once I pop out the plastic rivits, will I be able to re-use them or do I need to get new ones from a dealer before I start??

Thanks.

Jake D
You can re-use them so long as you don't break them taking them out. If you do happen to break them, Advanced Auto Parts carries a bunch of different varities that will also work.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Once again, thank you!

I'm pretty ham fisted when it comes to removing fasteners. Should be interesting. . .

·
Registered
232 Posts
ok how do i get to these 4 bolts i'm suppseo to take out and loosen......

i see them....but it seems like i have to take hte whole tail off to get to them??????

i got a 03

·
Registered
31 Posts
ok how do i get to these 4 bolts i'm suppseo to take out and loosen......

i see them....but it seems like i have to take hte whole tail off to get to them??????

i got a 03
I'm in the process of figuring out how to do this myself...except the whole tail doesn't seem to want to come off. I'm not going to bother so i'm going to try dremming a line into the bolt so I can take a screwdriver and just screw it off.

How did you end up getting it off?

·
Registered
232 Posts
i used an impact drive to get the main 4 bolts holding the tail on. off (phillips head)

then once the tail was off everything simplified emensely

just make sure you have all the pop rivits out and all other screws holding as well as rear seat latch and passenger bar

cut the "wings" of the undertail off not the mounting part though leave that so you have a whole solid trunk

then snap everythuing back topgtehr

·
Registered
22 Posts
Time to bump the thread again...

I have an 08. I'm looking at installing the hotbodies undertail. The initail reaction is holy cow, there is a lot of stuff to take off to install the tail, and possibly some cutting to get the get it put together.

Does anyone have step by steps instructions on putting a hotbodies on an 08?
The instruction sheet that was shipped with it is for an 05...

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
see the second post, from me, in this thread.

Should be same for 08 as earlier years.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I appreciate that, and read them, however, my main problems still exist...
How the heck do you get the rear bumper off? The bolts are up under the fender/battery box, so it almost seems like it has to come out before you can get the seat fairings off.

Second, it appears that the rear bumper acts as a support piece for the rear seat. Is that piece goice to need to be replaced with a stiffener or some other support?

and finally...

What's the consensus on license plate placement and lighting? I feel that mounting the plate by drilling through the tail will eventually lead to it cracking, so do you need to support the plate internally with some sort of stiffener attached to the underside of the secondary chassis frame?

A lot of questions, I know, but I want to be thorough.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts