Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping someone on the board will be willing and able to help me out here. I'd like to get a measurement from handle to handle from someone who has a spool stand and a triple tree stand. I'd like to be able to keep the bike up on both stands during the winter. I realize all stands are going to have different dimensions, but I'd like to try and get a general Idea before I get a triple tree stand. I have very limited space (8ftx8ft shed), so I don't know if it's going to be doable.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I measured mine a few weeks ago. I want to say 13' from center of spool to center. Unfortunately, my bike is 800 miles away, So I cant confirm that for ya.

·
Registered
59 Posts
To save space in front you could use jackstands under your frame sliders. If you don't have sliders, most here would agree that you should get some.

I'll put my bike up on the rear stand (pitbull) before I ride to work today and give you a quick measurement.

Not sure it exists, but a rear stand with a removable handle would be a clever solution to getting back whatever length it takes up behind the bike.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
Not sure it exists, but a rear stand with a removable handle would be a clever solution to getting back whatever length it takes up behind the bike.
they do. trex front stands have quick release handles and their rear stand handle is bolted on with one bolt.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't use the frame sliders as long term supports. They're made of a soft, ductile plastic. Under load like that, they'll start to deform.
I've got the vortex sliders with the aluminum spools. I realize that's still not ideal but it seems like it would hold up for a few months.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Aluminum is also ductile, especially if not designed to be a load bearing part.

(edit)

Aluminum spools? As in the sliders are aluminum? If that's the case, dump that sh!t and get plastic sliders.
They're these style. http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/VORTEX-MOTORCYCLE-FRAME-SLIDER-KIT I suppose the idea is if you dump the bike you can just replace the plastic piece. IF the aluminum piece stays intact. I'm planning on going with motosliders anyway. These were on the bike when I bought it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Measured the bike on the stands this morning, end of handle to end of handle is 8' 3 1/2" using a standard Pitbull rear stand, and I can't remember the brand of the front stand but it appears to be identical to this one aside from the color.

Mattman - yeah, I figured I couldn't have been the first one to think of detachable handles, just didn't check the internets before I spoke.

While on Pitbull's site I ran across this:

much more support for the slider than a jackstand would provide, but a short galvanized pipe over the slider before putting it down on the stand seems like it would achieve the same result.

Also forgot about people flipping their pegs upside down to hold the bike up for shock swaps and the like:

This is getting out of control, but here are some more ideas to get the weight of your bike off the tires, some safe, some not so safe:

Link for that one because WTF.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Measured the bike on the stands this morning, end of handle to end of handle is 8' 3 1/2" using a standard Pitbull rear stand, and I can't remember the brand of the front stand but it appears to be identical to this one aside from the color.

Mattman - yeah, I figured I couldn't have been the first one to think of detachable handles, just didn't check the internets before I spoke.

While on Pitbull's site I ran across this:

much more support for the slider than a jackstand would provide, but a short galvanized pipe over the slider before putting it down on the stand seems like it would achieve the same result.

Also forgot about people flipping their pegs upside down to hold the bike up for shock swaps and the like:

This is getting out of control, but here are some more ideas to get the weight of your bike off the tires, some safe, some not so safe:

Link for that one because WTF.
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions. I saw those side stands by pitubll after looking around a bit more today. They're priced really well too. But given the measurements of your stands, I'm thinking I should be able to squeeze it in there with a triple tree stand. Might be a bit tricky to get it angled correctly. I should have about 11 ft diagonally inside, so that should be plenty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts