Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one who is really good at catching bees with a neck gator? I wouldn't mind, bees are cool and all but they tend to sting when I play with them and lately I haven't even been intending to play. Last Sunday morning was the third time I got one in my neck gator, once I even got one down the collar of my leathers and wound up with 9 hits from whatever got down there and got scared. I've had them in my helmet once or twice too but they usually stay calm in there, I just pop the visor open when I'm stopped and they make their way out.

Is this weird?

I'm glad I'm not allergic because even without swelling up like crazy and needing an epi they still hurt.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm done wearing these. Sunblock alone will have to protect my neck from the dreaded redneck-edness.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The problem seems to be the many rolls on the gator: they're like a fly/mosquito/bee trap, once they hit it they are not able to get out of it.
As suggested by @golden chicken try to wear it the most straightened you can, so that flying insects will just slide over it.

Otherwise i might suggest a tight neck Bandana

tucked under the jacket.

Reactions: thedrewski86

·
Registered
910 Posts
Polo neck/Roll-neck T-shirt or jumper?

I've got a couple and some thermal/Sports compression ones for colder weather here in,"Blighty" :D

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, this guy is cool. :ROFLMAO:

I think I'll just get some balaclavas to serve as helmet liner and neck covering in one. I always wear a doorag to keep my helmet clean anyway and I think I could zip it under my race suit. That's my plan anyway... I'll probably just rock sunblock for the time being though.

·
Super Moderator
8,604 Posts
Just scrunch your neck down a little and smile more. Problem solved. : -)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^ :ROFLMAO: ^^

no lie, I pretty much do ride like that 80% of the time! Although my one-piece is an RST instead of AStars... maybe a new race suit will keep bees out. That will be the line of reasoning I use when I tell my wife I need to spend $1500 on leathers.

I tend to pop up from behind the screen when I'm braking hard and that's when I catch the bees, wasps whatever. I blame the terrain I ride in: lots of citrus groves and agriculture. Pretty much honey bee heaven. It's also motorcycling heaven so it's still worth it.🐝

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Maybe a different windscreen or an add on deflector could help?

Or maybe one of these throat guards?

·
Registered
82 Posts
i use neck gator on cold spring/fall days - no bees around but makes sense it could trap em.
once get warm i use bandana or sometimes not and have my jacket zipped up, gloves over jacket sleeves, gear on, not helmet visor up while riding even in hot summer.....im alergic to bees n carry epipen...and still alive

1 - 11 of 11 Posts