Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone switched to something a little more narrow but around same height as stock?

Thought about cutting stock bars down slightly but I don't think you can take much if anything off without the controls mounting points becoming a issue. (bar starts to curve)

Looking to take about around 1-1.5 inch per side if anyone has done something similar. Not looking for clip-ons as I want to still be more upright. (I'm short)

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
6,870 Posts
I have BikeMaster Daytona bars, which are higher that stock, and cut them down as narrow as possible. BikeMaster Superbike bars are closer to stock height.

The issue you need to watch out for when cutting them down is the amount of straight bar needed for the controls. If you cut too much the controls will ride-up to where the bar starts to bend - and the controls won't sit right or tighten down properly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will have to see if I can find dimensions for them to compare to stock. Thanks.

The issue you need to watch out for when cutting them down is the amount of straight bar needed for the controls. If you cut too much the controls will ride-up to where the bar starts to bend - and the controls won't sit right or tighten down properly.
Ya I looked at cutting stock bars but I don't think you could take off more than .25inch or so without having that issue. I've already moved controls in as far as I can and they are already wanting to bent/point a funky angle from being on edge of curved part of bar.

·
Super Moderator
6,870 Posts
Will have to see if I can find dimensions for them to compare to stock. Thanks.
Ya I looked at cutting stock bars but I don't think you could take off more than .25inch or so without having that issue. I've already moved controls in as far as I can and they are already wanting to bent/point a funky angle from being on edge of curved part of bar.
I also found the Bikemaster bars had a more comfortable pullback and angle than the stock bars, which I never cared for. They are not expensive, and the quality is very good. I've had mine on since about 2007, and they haven't chalked, chipped or faded. They may be a black chrome or similar finish.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've run several different chinesium bars to see what I like; I've settled on a drag bar cut down 1.5 inches each side but on risers. Pretty slim and I split lanes without issue. This gave me more straight bar to shove stuff inward. Without the risers, it's very "drag", (cool looking, not cool riding) and therefore uncomfortable. I needed the risers to get me more upright. You could do the same with a motorcross bar I'd imagine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got a photo? Sounds interesting.

Trying cheap bars first sounds like a good idea other than swapping all the parts over and over.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts