Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on converting my 00 N to a track-only S, actually all I'm doing is changing the handlebars to clip-ons.

When I went to install the S upper clamp, I discovered the boss around the steer tube is about 3/16" thicker than on the N upper clamp. This prevents the fork tubes from coming all the way through the upper clamp, and I can't get more than 2 threads on the steer tube nut.

My first inclination was to simply mill the boss on the upper clamp 3/16", but I'm wondering if it would be smarter to simply lower the fork in the lower clamp until both sides extend through the upper clamp.

I can't seem to find much on conversions going this way, in all my searching I only see S to N conversions.

The boss in question is circled in red in the picture. (this is the S upper clamp)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yes, adjust the forks to match the upper.

From the factory, the naked bikes are supposed to have the fork tubes extend about 3mm above the upper clamp. For the S model, the tube is supposed to be flush. If you had your naked bike with the tubes flush, you were running them too high.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm working on converting my 00 N to a track-only S, actually all I'm doing is changing the handlebars to clip-ons.

When I went to install the S upper clamp, I discovered the boss around the steer tube is about 3/16" thicker than on the N upper clamp. This prevents the fork tubes from coming all the way through the upper clamp, and I can't get more than 2 threads on the steer tube nut.
this is good info bc I'm about to do the same. What about the steering nut then? How would we get around that? Just clamp down on the two threads?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dropped the forks, everything fit together nicely. I don't know if it's me or not, but it seemed like there were even more threads coming through the steer tube.

Does anyone know the torque specs on the upper clamp and clip-on bolts?

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
wantahertzdonut,
I'm considering doing the same. Wondering how the bike worked for you at the track. I have an N too and did 2 trackdays with a slightly lower standard handlebar. Not bad, but I still don't like the riding position or front end feel and guess the clipons are the way to go.
Just curious what you did about the headlight/wiring harness. Did you leave that all in tact or remove it and put race plastics on?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts