Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to take the plastics off a SV650S?? I love the naked/streetfighter look, but don't want too much of a headache with the mirrors/headlights/dash... Couldn't find anything, has anyone done this, any ideas? Thanks,
Ed

·
Registered
103 Posts
im doing it right now. the stock mirrors im keeping, just bolting them directly into the fairing stay. gonna mock up something custom for headlight and signals.

oh yeah, im planning to do the full cowl in the future.

·
Registered
105 Posts
there is not really a quick and easy way, that looks good. if you want to do it properly, then it will cost $$ and time. I just put together everything I need to convert to naked, and it cost me over $700.

now the issue is time... I don't think I will have time to do it, as I won't sacrifice ride time.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
$700? You can do it for MUCH less!

If you don't mind keeping the clip ons, all you need is a headlight, gauge mount, and mirrors. Aztec8 sells lights and a gauge mount. Any Bar-end mirrors will work - Motrax are popular.

I'm selling my 'streetfighter' headlight setup as seen in the picture below. It looks killer and functions great - I just want a change. Here is the thread.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What are the options for the wiring? Gotta get a big headlight and stash it in there? I really like the looks of the smaller headlights. Will the gauges seperate from the plastics? I don't want to find out the hard way and just start tearing it apart...yet.

·
Registered
467 Posts
$700? You can do it for MUCH less!

If you don't mind keeping the clip ons, all you need is a headlight, gauge mount, and mirrors. Aztec8 sells lights and a gauge mount. Any Bar-end mirrors will work - Motrax are popular.

I'm selling my 'streetfighter' headlight setup as seen in the picture below. It looks killer and functions great - I just want a change. Here is the thread.

where are you getting $700? wherever that is, it is a complete ripoff! the stock light and all the hardware from oneida are like 350! i have one i would sell for 150 maybe less or trade towards unrashed SVs headlights with all tabs intact.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The S gauges and naked gauges are different in several ways. They mount different, they use different plugs, the main wiring harness is different between the bikes.

The S gauges need the fairing stay to attach to unless you come up with something creative. It would be next to impossible to hide the wiring harness from an S model inside a headlight housing. The S model uses a separate 'sub-harness' that is quite bulky. In addition, the harnesses are different between the '01 and '02 model years. The '02 year is actually a simpler design that would be easier to hide. Either way, its not an easy convert unless you want to ditch the stock gauges and go with an aftermarket gauges (like Vapor).

Bottom line, if you want naked, buy a naked bike. I think the only compelling reason to convert a bike is if you wrecked an S-bike and didn't want to replace all the parts. In that case, you are going to spend money one way or another.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My bike isn't wrecked, but the plastics are cracked and scratched and just plain ugly... Was thinking of trying to make it naked or buy all new plastics, trying to decide still. Thanks for input though

·
Registered
367 Posts
My bike isn't wrecked, but the plastics are cracked and scratched and just plain ugly... Was thinking of trying to make it naked or buy all new plastics, trying to decide still. Thanks for input though
Depending on how bad the cracks are, you might be able to have the fairings repaired, and refinished for less than your other options.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah a buddy of mine has a plastic welder, its just that neither of us have ever used one before... there are a couple pretty bad ones, and a lot of small ones. Soo.. just trying to weigh out my options.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ill put some pictures up this week.. I'd get some now but I got it taken apart waiting for a clutch cover O-Ring. Take it easy on me when I do its in rough condition. Got it for a good price though. Any ideas on pulling a pretty bad ding out of the tank...? Thanks for all the help.

-Ed

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've been working on a S to streetfighter also. I chose to go with dominators from flyncycle.com and a vapor digital tach/speedo.

It's been a work in progress for a month or so now I have a complaints so far that I'm slowly sorting out.

There isn't a convenient way to make a simple but smooth looking mount for the S triple. I think the naked triple looks much better than the S triple once the fairings are gone so I'm looking for some clip-ons that will clear the naked triple.

There are grommets on the S model radiator that help hold the fairings in place. They don't look great up close. I'm either going to look for a better looking radiator or get a shroud and cut off the side tabs that hold the grommets.

Also I'm replacing brake reservoir with one of the sleeker ones from a naked model. In the end it would have been much easier to start with a naked to get to where I am now. Live and learn I guess.

Does anyone know if the SWATT clip-ons will clear the naked triple? That was my reason for hopping on SVrider this morning.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I recently wrecked my 2006 SV650s, on monday actually, and was wondering if it would just be easier to turn it into the naked/streetfighter version? I broke most of the front right fairing and bent the gauge assembly (the metal bar under there). Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do? I love the sport version but I also dont mind the naked veresion. I'll try and get some pics up as soon as I can. Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here's a thought: I have the poly26 cafe racer half fairing with all the mounting hardware (looks similar to the Paul Smart SC1000). I've currently going from N to full-up cafe racer. I ordered from Matt's Twin-Shack (twinshack.co.uk) and got it lickety-split.

The main reason I did it is because I'm stationed over here and had a ton of little things to do w/my SV and decided it was just going to be easier to make it into the bike I want instead of buying the one I want. I'm still sourcing the clip-ons and guage cluster (most likely Vapor--not Veypor)

http://www.twinshack.co.uk/prods/295.html

·
Registered
603 Posts
What are the options for the wiring? Gotta get a big headlight and stash it in there? I really like the looks of the smaller headlights. Will the gauges separate from the plastics? I don't want to find out the hard way and just start tearing it apart...yet.
Hi, I didn't see a answer to this question and I think I have the dominators/custom bracket mount. The prior owner basically bundled the wires together and stashed them under the headlight with black tape.

What are our choices in terms of hiding the wire harnesses?

thx.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts