Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the stock windscreen on my naked SV. It offers minimal wind protection at highway speed. I get hit well on my chest area.

Can you guys recommend some aftermarket windshields? Pics will help a lot. I do not even know what options are available for the naked SV. Please chime in. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Try Givi and Puig. They both make some nice stuff for the second gen SV.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Try Givi and Puig. They both make some nice stuff for the second gen SV.
I bought a Givi A750 right here on SVR. The brackets that came with it are not well suited to the 2nd gen; the only holes that are usable are the slots for the headlight bolts, there's no other hole that lines up to anchor it down properly. I'm reluctant to drill my headlight bracket since the Givi might not be permanent. Maybe Givi has a mounting kit better suited to the 2nd gen, I'll have to check.

The 755 looks a lot better, but I would still be interested in mounting a National Cycle F16, but it's listed for 1st gen only.

I need to give Puig another look. Last time I checked, there was page after page of windscreens for sport bikes with fairings.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your input guys.
With help from google I found this (laminar lip)
http://www.laminarlip.com/sv.php

Scroll to the bottom of page, they have a decent looking windscreen for the naked. With shipping comes under 100 bucks. From the picture looks like it mounts on existing slots.
Anyone tried this?

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
I poked around and found some input from some one on the forum that used the Laminar:
That person is me..I order the Laminar Lip for the naked and it doesn't do anything for wind protection. I'll be sending it back. As for the product Loco is getting I think you will find the same issue. The screens need to be higher, wider and with a "flair out" for wind protection function. These will look good, just like the Laminar, but they won't function. For me, I wanted wind protection for chest and helment area, but no results.

Check out the pictures on this page of a windscreen that was/is(?) being offered here on SVR. I think that this is a cool design.

http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=74382&highlight=importer&page=10

·
Registered
253 Posts
ironguy,
i mounted up the national cycle F16 sport (the shorter one) on my 2008 naked. no fit problems, altho swapping in the NC F16 requires removing the bracket that holds the mini-fairing - it has a flange on the outside that prevents snugging the screen down. u need to source up some nuts and washers to re-secure the headlamp bracket (the bolts originally screw directly into the fairing bracket). the screen fits best OVER the headlamp bracket, not under. i added some plumbing washers to the mix to 'soften' the fit between the mounting bolts and the screen.
looks good (personal opinion, of course, but i've had a couple positive comments too). the screen only lifts the wind to mid chest, but it 'smoothes' the windblast so that it's a good deal less tiring. my typical riding speed is 120kph to 150kph (75-90mph), and i'm fully content for many hours - above that, it starts to seem like i'm having to try pretty hard... but i didn't buy a naked bike to hide behind a big screen anyway...
p.s. do a search and surf the threads. there are lots of posts on this subject, and plenty of photos if you dig.
good luck.
cheers,

·
Registered
253 Posts
...and as rock dodger points out, you need to decide how much protection you're after. if the answer is 'lots', you're looking for a bigger givi or puig, not the national or laminar lip.
cheers,

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
I called National Cycle and talked to a guy that says they are working on some sporty windscreens to fit the 2nd gen SV's right now. He said to keep an eye on their web site.
Last summer I installed a NC F-16 (the larger, touring model) on my '07 naked and it fits perfectly, but as someone else said on the last page of this thread, it mounts better outside the headlight bracket and use some rubber washers under stainless steel fender washers to soften the contact point. You have to remove the existing bug screen but the good news is that the slot cut into the F-16 for adjusting the tilt just happens to line up perfectly with one of the threaded holes that used to hold your bug screen on. It's really a perfect fit and I took pix of the installations and sent them to National Cycle, along with an email explaining how well it fit on a 2nd gen SV so they could now advertise it as fitting both gens, but a year later, they apparently still haven't caught on and are driving away prospective customers. :eek:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Last summer I installed a NC F-16 (the larger, touring model) on my '07 naked and it fits perfectly, but as someone else said on the last page of this thread, it mounts better outside the headlight bracket and use some rubber washers under stainless steel fender washers to soften the contact point. You have to remove the existing bug screen but the good news is that the slot cut into the F-16 for adjusting the tilt just happens to line up perfectly with one of the threaded holes that used to hold your bug screen on. It's really a perfect fit and I took pix of the installations and sent them to National Cycle, along with an email explaining how well it fit on a 2nd gen SV so they could now advertise it as fitting both gens, but a year later, they apparently still haven't caught on and are driving away prospective customers. :eek:
I installed it on my 2006 Naked. It does its job well. Here is a pic of the bracket on my 2006 Naked.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
How about a nice picture from the side????? Where does the windscreen send the air turbulence?

·
Registered
465 Posts
did the fseries on the second gen as well might be easier to see here

the stock mount is kind a cheap looking - I haven't missed it

1 - 20 of 28 Posts