Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What years did they have the small flyscreen on the nakeds? 2005-2009? Were they on the SV1000, too?
I want one for my 03 naked and I am trying to figure out what years to look at in parts ads, etc.
Thanks!

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
I'm pretty sure 2005 was the first year. If you go to Ron Ayers and look at the microfiche, just pick 2007 or 08, to be sure. The part number will be the same as all the other years.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
Maybe it should more properly be called a gauge hood? They can break a little wind, but I think they are more of a styling exercise. I think that many look better than nothing, but just like anything else, some can be butt-ugly.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
It doesn't.

imho naked without any flyscreen looks better.
Agreed. I took the flyscreen off my Monster and I think it looks a lot better without it. Didn't notice any difference when riding it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I took mine off, put it back on, took it off, put it back on again. All it really does is keep the bugs off of your speedometer housing. If I could find a good looking one that was a little bigger, and didn't cost a small fortune I would definitely buy it.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
Well, maybe if you left the Samsonite in the hotel room, there would be. ;D

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
I felt like there was a very slight difference between 65mph and 80mph without the little fairing, but nothing I didn't get used to within 50 miles of riding.

Then again, it could very well have been placebo effect.

·
Registered
594 Posts
What years did they have the small flyscreen on the nakeds? 2005-2009? Were they on the SV1000, too?
I want one for my 03 naked and I am trying to figure out what years to look at in parts ads, etc.
Thanks!
Hi April,

I put one on my '04. You should know that in addition to all the obvious flyscreen parts, the fork tube brackets (black ones) are different (or you can simply grind down the upper nut welded onto the bracket), and the headlight adjustment bracket is different (again, you can grind down the...)

If you buy all the parts brand new, it adds up to a fortune. Trouble is, when they show up for sale here, they get sold pretty fast, so you have to be quick. I guess you can always post a "wanted" ad. Good luck!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Even this big thing does nothing until about 80mph...and even then you have to duck under all the wind.

I like the look of it at first, because i think the factory gauge cluster looks weird... but now i'm not really feelin' it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi April,

I put one on my '04. You should know that in addition to all the obvious flyscreen parts, the fork tube brackets (black ones) are different (or you can simply grind down the upper nut welded onto the bracket), and the headlight adjustment bracket is different (again, you can grind down the...)

If you buy all the parts brand new, it adds up to a fortune. Trouble is, when they show up for sale here, they get sold pretty fast, so you have to be quick. I guess you can always post a "wanted" ad. Good luck!
Thanks for all the info. I looked at them on Ron Ayers...Wow! You're not kidding about costing a fortune!
I did put up a wanted ad and I am lurking the sales ads...LOL! Thanks!
I have a Givi on there now and it works great on the wind, but I wanted something smaller for looks. After reading all these comments, something smaller may not give any wind protection, so now I am not so sure :dizzy:

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
flyscreens were available as an optional accessory from the getgo in '99 when the 650 came out, may even have been available in Japan in '97 on the SV400

effective depends on yer definition

ride in sleet, even at 40mph, there is a very evident difference, it at least deflects rain from hitting your chest and dribbling down to your crotch and preventing the "I just peed my pants" look

·
Registered
920 Posts
isnt there also a slightly different fly-screen for the yellow 03 (05?) year model bikes? It's just slightly bigger, and covers the lower portion of the headlight as well?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts