Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I was pulling out of a parking lot and right as I was about to take off, one of my carbs popped off. Luckily, I was in the cycle gear parking lot and I had a friend who was waiting for me near by. So I pulled out my trusty sv tools, lifted the tank, pulled off the airbox, and reseated the (front) carb and tightened the screw down. When I got home that day, I noticed that I had a lot of oil splattered on the left side of my bike. Next thing I noticed was that I had overfilled the oil when I last changed the oil (a few days previously). So I drained some of the excess oil and tightened everything back down and took it for a spin around the neighborhood. When I got back I looked around for oil and although there was much less than before, there were still some oil splatters here and there, mainly on the left side of the engine and inbetween the two cyliders. I just looked over the bike and I can't find anything that looks obvious. The only 2 hoses I had to reattach on the airbox were the two on the left hand side. Any ideas of something I might have missed? I'd like to have a leak free bike before I bring it back to college. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Those 2 hoses are crankcase vents. If your oil is over full, oil will be pushed up those tubes to the air box. That sure sounds like what happened. Take your air filter out and check and clean any oil from inside the air box. Clean any oil from bike. Check oil level. Make sure carbs are mounted properly and tight. Done. :)

·
Registered
737 Posts
Those venting hoses are not specifically for when you fill the oil over the full mark.

When you run your engine, there is a mist of oil floating around inside your engine. Without venting, you'd be building a lot of pressure. Thus the vents to ease pressure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts