Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got started tearing my bike apart for the winter. I've got a set of convertibars, SRAD triples, SRAD axle, srad rotors, srad wheel, and hopefully a set of R1 calipers and 04/05 750 forks being shipped to me.

Also yet to be puchased is an XB9R front cowl with DB smoked screen, 55 watt DIGITAL HID kit, stainless lines, spacers for rotors and/or calipers, twf top bearing, gas tank, naked gauges, rear sets and tires. I'm on the lookout though, even though some of it will wait until christmas since I am hoping for my family members to chip in!

Now, on to the pictures.

To start off with, here is the before picture:

First things first, I bought bike stands. Crappy phone picture but you get the idea.

I started with removing the rear sets. Mismatched and rigged by previous owner. Anyone ever heard of Pro-tek?

Next, I gt the battery on the float charger.

Next, off came the rear plastics and brake light.

Then I removed the rear subframe and tank.

Thus far, I'm down to this.

Next up is the front plastics.

Then the gauges and headlight were removed.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Then I decided to start working on removing the front end so I can get it parted out and gone. I need more room and more money for the project!

Those look a little tight don't they? Previous owner bout em, not me.

Clipons almost clear.

Now, something kinda challenging arose. Those **** security torx on the ignition decided to slow me down... So, I flipped the triple over to hold it still and drilled em out. I don't plan on using those bolts ever again.

That must've done the trick, cuz the front end is gone.

Now, I had it supported like this.

Then I removed the carbs.

Last thing I did before having to shower and head to work was the rear wheel and swing arm.

I did everything seen here yesterday, and I hope to work on it some more tomorrow. I want to have everything apart, cleaned, prepped for paint and ready for assembly by Christmas. Christmas day I will be ordering whatever parts I have left to round up that the family doesn't get me and hopefully have everything done before school starts again on the 15th.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
color is to be announced but I will be painting the XB9R cowl, stock rear bodywork, fender, hugger and belly pan. Frame and rear swinger will have black bed liner and wheels are going to be painted as well. im unsure of color on wheels though. I'm thing about a WRX STi theme for the whole bike, but I dont know.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
well done, should be good once it's done.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice. Keep up the hard work.

I see the Hawaii DoD sticker... you still there?
It's from the previous owner. He was in the navy. Bike started in jersey, then went to california, hung out in hawaii for a little while and ended up here in texas. He said the navy shipped it for him with his interior pieces so that's why he had he. He was never out transportation upon arrival to new places.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Tonight, I figured that since I had about 2 hours to spare before going out for my brother's b-day, I'd get some work in on the bike.

To start I drained all the fluids. With Oil and coolant outta the way, I removed the radiator, coolant reservoir and began stripping the engine of sensors and such. Lastly, out came the engine mounting bolts and motor. I probably won't get around to working on it any until sunday night, at which time i'm hoping my brother can make it over and help me do a compression/leakdown test on the motor. If all goes well, the motor will be getting a good cleaning monday and be bagged up until time to go back in.

Here's what I got to come home to tonight:

Oh, and incase you were wondering, everything went incredibly smooth, with the exception of these:

I plan on having the right tools when time for re-installation rolls around, but for now a hammer and slotted screw driver did the trick for removal.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Small update. Just FYI, the build is going to progress at a really slow pace from here until early to mid January when I expect to have all of my parts.

However, Today, I did make some progress. I dropped the frame off at Metal Rehab Inc. It is a local company that specializes in completely stripping everything off of metal objects, inside and out, through the use of chemical baths and controlled heating.

They charge more than sandblasting shops but the end result is MUCH better. If you plan on keeping a project for a long time, this is the only way to go IMO. Also, I don't have to worry about any bearing seats or anything being chewed up my some guy that gets a little too close while blasting it.

They have nothing but praise locally and agreed to do my frame for $110 and have it back to me by next wednesday. I'm looking forward to starting off with a brand new bike basically!

Check out their site: www.metalrehabinc.com

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
calm down. The process takes a week on the frame and it has barely been with them for 24 hours. When the frame shows (december 24th), then the good part will begin.

I told ya'll not to expect a whole lot until then.

However, today I did break out the pressure washer and give my rims, swingarm, cush drive, rotors, sprocket and SRAD triples a good cleaning.

All came out well after a can of oops, a can of degreaser and two bottles of simple green. The swingarm was pretty bad.

Oh, and here is a teaser on the wheel color. I sanded down my stock fuel cap until smooth and applied the paint of choice to test it. I like it.

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
calm down. The process takes a week on the frame and it has barely been with them for 24 hours. When the frame shows (december 24th), then the good part will begin.

I told ya'll not to expect a whole lot until then.

However, today I did break out the pressure washer and give my rims, swingarm, cush drive, rotors, sprocket and SRAD triples a good cleaning.

All came out well after a can of oops, a can of degreaser and two bottles of simple green. The swingarm was pretty bad.

Oh, and here is a teaser on the wheel color. I sanded down my stock fuel cap until smooth and applied the paint of choice to test it. I like it.

I like that color a lot. I think this will be a sweet project when you're all done.

1 - 20 of 236 Posts