Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My best friend (and boss of all things!) and I took a 4 day riding trip this past weekend down to visit my Dad near San Antonio TX and ride around in the Hill Country. The trip down to Seguin, TX from Dallas is usually a straight shot down I-35 about 5 hours. Screw that boring crap! ;D We took a whole series of backroads and unmarked map squiggles... which stretched our trip time out to about 8.5 hours down there. We had a rather stressfull start to the trip though.

My buddy has several bikes... 2004 Yamaha R1, 2001 Ducati 748, and a 1998 Ducati Monster 750. He wanted to bring the 748 on the tip, but the crazy thing uses an 11mm hex bit for the oil drain plug and we couldn't find one anywhere in town in time to do a much needed oil change. So that search wasted about 3 hours for riding time. He also needed to change his rear tire and the axle bolt is 46mm! Ouch... not going to find one of those at your average dealership... or autoparts store. The 748 is staying home this trip.

So he dejectedly decides to bring the R1. As we are pulling into the street we hear a big POP! He hit a nail pulling out of the driveway! Unbelievable. Its a small nail right in the tread and is still ridable, so we decide to hit the dealership for a patch. Two more hours pass at the dealership... While we're there, we see a guy on a GSX-R talking about how he got busted the night before for not having his insurance cards. Well we double check ours... and it turns out that my buddy left his insurance papers at home!!! DOH!! A quick phone call to his insurance company and they fax over new insurance cards... whew!

At last we are on the road. A quick stop for some BBQ in a cool little town called Glen Rose, and we only stopped for gas the rest of the way down to Seguin. BTW we passed through Crawford, TX (home of GWB and his silly ranch) We were wondering if there were hidden cameras around running our plates and doing background checks. But that town is so tiny that we were in and out before they could get a line on us. ;) In fact we blazed through a bunch of tiny rural Texas towns, some so small they weren't even on our maps.

Anyway the real fun riding was on Saturday. With all the luggage left behind at Dad's place we set out at around noon and found some amazing roads with very little traffic. We did this loop a couple of times. HWYs 12, 150 and 3237. Whoever thinks that Texas is all flat and straight needs to head down to Hill Country. These roads are great! and the scenery is stunning.

We found this amazing little road that runs between HWY 306 (our route up) and HWY 2722. It was unmarked on the map and had no roadsigns (according to Google its called River Road), but it was full of 20mph and 30mph turns, short steep hills, tiny little concrete bridges over white water rivers and long stretches of straights through arched live oak branches that give the impression of riding down the aisle of a cathedral with light streaming in through stained glass. It was surreal and quite beautiful. And man we didn't see a single vehicle on those roads so we could really enjoy leaning it over.

And we saw plenty of rural charm from a couple of fat ******** fly fishing nude in the river to a big red bait-n-beer shack adorned in Christmas lights and with a Texas flag painted over its entire tin roof. ;D Sadly we were so engrossed in riding (and there were very few safe places to pull over) that I only took a dozen or so photos. I will have the photos up on my Blog this evening and will post the page then.

The only drag was coming home. A cold front had come through and it was about 40-45 degrees... and at 85mph that becomes downright arctic! BRRRRRRRRRR!!!! :eek: We ended up scrapping the backroads at sticking to I-35 so we could get out of the cold before we got hypothermia! Hehehe.

Hopefully, schedule permitting, we can head back down to Kerrville area and ride the "Holy Trinity" HWYs 335, 336 and 377 near Leakey, TX. That should be awesome!

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Great write up!

Love to read thiese when I'm at work wishing I was out riding. Although not today in northwestern PA, its raining and about 40 degrees.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
sounds like alotta fun!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts