Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after several encouraging replies, I decided to remove the carbon fiber slip-on and make my own gp style exhaust that would still be acceptable for my ear drums. Did it by myself, so sorry for the lack of in depth pictures.

Materials:
Steel drain plug from Home Depot ($2)
2x9 turndown exhaust tip ($3)
Steel Wool
2 clamps I had laying around and some header tape

Far as I have gotten for now. Wrapped the pipe with some carbon header tape, then I am painting it all black and putting the clamps on. I'll post more when I have it on.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In my previous exhaust thread, I was looking for feedback on the matter. One of the members suggested that if I went through with it, I should do a write up to show the process, which is what I am now doing. I thought the immediate post showing the illustrations would be more helpful to people contemplating the same modification. If the threads should have been consolidated then I apologize.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Awesome! :eek:ccasion14:

Did you just wrap the steel wool around the drainplug?

Does anyone know how this will affect performance?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just finished the first prototype. I've made several different baffle setups, so I'll upload a few sound clips this evening sometime. I haven't finished painting and properly clamping, but it sounds amazing. Idle is much throatier, but the highway speeds aren't much louder. Powerband seems to be about the same.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Looking good. Cant wait to hear sound improvement.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The black on the wrap will be gone quickly.
I don't think it will be; it's 1300 header wrap with exhaust manifold sealant. I know that motorcycles run hotter than cars do, but this same stuff has stood up to several big blocks for several years. And if it peels, I'll just repaint it or leave the natural fiber look. Either way, it sounds great and I'll try and post some clips tomorrow.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's how it sounds with one baffle; I've made 2 for it, and this one is the louder of the two. Hopefully the sound quality is decent.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Sounds good. This might be worth me tryin out considering it costs around 10 bucks. I hate all of the SV exhausts, even aftermarket ones. I prefer the M4 GP look and this accomplishes just that for hundreds less :eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds good. This might be worth me tryin out considering it costs around 10 bucks. I hate all of the SV exhausts, even aftermarket ones. I prefer the M4 GP look and this accomplishes just that for hundreds less :eek:ccasion14:
Thanks brother, I tried to hit all the RPM ranges to give a thorough example of it. Several of my friends want me to make one for them now too haha...this setup is certainly louder than my slip-on, but at lower rpms and cruising speeds you can't tell much of a difference. It's mainly just at idle and when it's wide open, which is what I was hoping for.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Thanks brother, I tried to hit all the RPM ranges to give a thorough example of it. Several of my friends want me to make one for them now too haha...this setup is certainly louder than my slip-on, but at lower rpms and cruising speeds you can't tell much of a difference. It's mainly just at idle and when it's wide open, which is what I was hoping for.
Precisely. I just hope that the cool sound does not compromise ponnies. Anyone know if this will hurt the power band or anything?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Precisely. I just hope that the cool sound does not compromise ponnies. Anyone know if this will hurt the power band or anything?
The general consensus from the guys that I ride with is that the pipe is long enough to create plenty of back pressure even without the baffle in. With the baffle, it is still louder than my slip-on, but it still gives it enough to where I haven't felt any difference in the power band. If anything, I tend to ride a little slower because I LOVE the low growl this thing has now. Last night I cruised through town at 25 mph and held it right at 3 grand just because of the grumble echoing off of the buildings. Not a loud, offensive growl at all; just a low rumble that turns a few heads:ears:

Yesterday, I dropped the belly pan down to repaint it and wrapped the rest of the exhaust with titanium wrap and sprayed the whole system with black VHT Silicone. I think it looks subtle with a little edge to it, so I've been very happy with the results. Here are some final pics....until I get another DIY exhaust idea:naughty:

·
Registered
513 Posts
Very nice. I must try this out. Did you just stuff the steel wool inside the drain plug, jam the plug down the exhaust tip, wrap it, then slide it on your mid pipe? Easy as pie?

Do you have a link or part # for the steel drain plug? I couldnt find one online for Home Depot. Where did you purchase the exhaust tip from? I cant find one for $3. LOL. You must be much more thrifty than I.

·
Registered
513 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Very nice. I must try this out. Did you just stuff the steel wool inside the drain plug, jam the plug down the exhaust tip, wrap it, then slide it on your mid pipe? Easy as pie?

Do you have a link or part # for the steel drain plug? I couldnt find one online for Home Depot. Where did you purchase the exhaust tip from? I cant find one for $3. LOL. You must be much more thrifty than I.
I bought the tip at Advance Auto (just steel, no chrome), and the drain plug is just over in the plumbing section at any hardware store. After I drilled the holes in the plug, I wrapped the wool around the baffle and secured it with stainless clamps (the thin ones, but hose clamps would work).

·
Registered
513 Posts
I bought the tip at Advance Auto (just steel, no chrome), and the drain plug is just over in the plumbing section at any hardware store. After I drilled the holes in the plug, I wrapped the wool around the baffle and secured it with stainless clamps (the thin ones, but hose clamps would work).
awesome. thanks for the how to. ill keep yall updated

·
Registered
151 Posts
Tagging this for later. I currently run a chopped yosh RS3 that I like but Ive been looking for something smaller. Sound will be a minor issue but my chopped exhaust is already pretty loud so for the $$ this looks like it could be a fun project.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tagging this for later. I currently run a chopped yosh RS3 that I like but Ive been looking for something smaller. Sound will be a minor issue but my chopped exhaust is already pretty loud so for the $$ this looks like it could be a fun project.
Yeah that was my concern at first. However, chopped mufflers can actually make a bike louder than a small straight through one. I know I keep making car references on this site, but that's just what I've grown up working on, so here is another one: my roommate from college got a WRX that we did quite a bit of work to. We removed the muffler and resonators, but left the catalytic converter on. I thought it sounded great, but he ended up going to medical school and wanted to tone it down. So we put a B&B muffler on, and it sounded perfect for about 6 months. Then the baffle and packing rattled loose, and it had somewhat of a megaphone effect on the car. I have no engineering experience and will never claim to, but I think that the packing was smacking back and forth and made it louder than if there were nothing there at all. So the setup I just made might end up sounding closer to what you have.

Like I said, I have no statistics or engineering knowledge to back up anything I've done; I'm just a ******* that likes to mess with any vehicle I can get my hands on:eek:ccasion14:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts