Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

· Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.....started horribly.

Went to the dealer last tuesday, looked at a SICK SV650S. Had an M4 exhaust, LED undertail, Race-Tech emulators in the forks, and adjustable rearsets on it. A bad-ass bike.

Was to be delivered today.

So, I go to my buddy's house where I'm gonna store the bike until April when the weather gets warm enough to ride here in Michigan.

Guy shows up with my bike. Opens the trailer, fires it up. Instantly, I know something is WAY wrong. This isn't the bike I looked at, it's WAY too quiet.

He rolls it out, parks it in the garage. I look it over, sure enough, it's not the one I looked at, this is completely bone stock.

I tell the guy to not go anywhere, we have a big problem here.

I jump on the horn to the sales chick at the dealer and tell her what's going on. She realizes she showed me a 2007, and not the one that just rolled off the trailer.

So, we talk for a few minutes, and agree upon her getting me the parts I need to make it like the one I saw last week when I made the purchase, AT COST, free labor to install the parts, and deliver the bike back to me free. So, $742 later, I have an M4 full system exhaust and Race-Tech emulators going on the bike. I'd have gotten the HotBodies undertail, but the only one they could get was un-painted white, so I told her don't worry about it, I'd get one elsewhere, and the rearsets weren't an issue either since the stockers are fine.

Bike went back in the trailer, and was taken back to the dealer for the exhaust and emulators.

I ordered a fender eliminator from 1tail.com when I got home.

Might look into rearsets at some point, but that isn't really a big deal to me. The position of the stock ones is ok.

I was hella ****** for a minute and almost blew up on the delivery guy, but didn't. I didn't even blow up on the sales girl over it. We just calmly worked it out like adults.

· Premium Member
3,797 Posts
It depends on if the 2007 was used and abused or not.... if it was brand new you could come out ahead.... but yeah I'd be soooo p1ss3d off if I bought something and they switched it on me...

How many miles were on the bike you looked at... and how many were on the one they wanted to deliver?

and you shouldn't have had to pay anything for the parts... they should have eaten it.... they sold you a bike and then got rid of it and gave you something else... that is illegal... it was their mistake.. they can take it in the @ss on the screw up

· Registered
1,089 Posts
Wait, so let me get this straight. You didn't get the bike you PAID for, and you had to PAY for the parts that the bike you wanted had? So does that mean that you paid more overall with the upgrades that were built into the price of the bike you actually wanted? You got ripped. I would have sent that chit back if it wasn't what I expected to get, no matter how bad I wanted it.

Oh, and if it had emulators, it probably also had different springs/oil. Did you add that to the cost? Expect to pay about 90-100 for the springs. I'm sure they'll do you the favor and eat the cost of the oil.

· Registered
342 Posts
Someone got a fat comission check off you. I would tell them to deliver the bike you bought, not charge you to make another bike similar to the one you paid for.

· Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bike I looked at was delivered this past saturday.

The one I looked at had almost 20K on the odometer, the one I am getting has 11K on it.

The one I looked at would have been about $1000 more than the one I got, so even after the parts I paid for, I'm still under the price of the other one.

From the mileage on the '07, I'm gonna assume it was ridden hard, as opposed to the one I am getting with low miles on it that was well taken care of.

· Premium Member
3,797 Posts
The bike I looked at was delivered this past saturday.

The one I looked at had almost 20K on the odometer, the one I am getting has 11K on it.

The one I looked at would have been about $1000 more than the one I got, so even after the parts I paid for, I'm still under the price of the other one.

From the mileage on the '07, I'm gonna assume it was ridden hard, as opposed to the one I am getting with low miles on it that was well taken care of.
Well then I think you came out ahead.... plus 750 is a hell of a price for an m4 (as long as it is a system and not a slipon) as well as that price including upgrades to suspension... and the labour to do it all is pretty good.... if they throw in rearsets and a tail then you're doing well.... those clear alternatives integrated turn signal/tail lights are close to 100 and most eliminators are about 100 too... and then adjustable rearsets... those can get pricey....

I'd get them to toss those in too.... then you'll have raped them good ;D

now, do you know if the original had a power commander on it or not? because if it is a full system you will need some remapping to get it to work well.... I can sort of drive mine for now with the full m4 I got, but it certainly needs a remap to fix the lean issue...and get it working right...

I'm guessing with all that stuff on the bike they had some sort of remap or power commander/tekka/etc.. on the bike...

· Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well then I think you came out ahead.... plus 750 is a hell of a price for an m4 (as long as it is a system and not a slipon) as well as that price including upgrades to suspension... and the labour to do it all is pretty good....

now, do you know if the original had a power commander on it or not? because if it is a full system you will need some remapping to get it to work well.... I can sort of drive mine for now with the full m4 I got, but it certainly needs a remap to fix the lean issue...and get it working right...

I'm guessing with all that stuff on the bike they had some sort of remap or power commander/tekka/etc.. on the bike...
It's $750 for the M4 full system, they didn't make anything but full systems for the '02 model, AND the Race-Tech emulators.

The bike is carbed, so I'm gonna buy the DynoJet jet kit for it. I get a discount on stuff from DynoJet thru my school since we are registered with them as a tuning center with a full dyno room. I'm gonna take the bike, put it on the roller and get it jetted properly and running right.

· Premium Member
3,797 Posts
It's $750 for the M4 full system, they didn't make anything but full systems for the '02 model, AND the Race-Tech emulators.

The bike is carbed, so I'm gonna buy the DynoJet jet kit for it. I get a discount on stuff from DynoJet thru my school since we are registered with them as a tuning center with a full dyno room. I'm gonna take the bike, put it on the roller and get it jetted properly and running right.

hmmm.... they gave you a 2002 in place of a 2007?

or did you look at a first gen too??

because they should give you a hell of a lot more if it is a 2002

· Registered
541 Posts
heres the math i have gathered from your posts

2002 with 11k miles. stock, but $1000 less

vs

2007 with 20k miles. pimped out, but $1000 more

on top of the purchase price, you paid $742 for emulators and exhaust which is not a very good deal. Like the other guy said, you will probably need springs and oil. brings it to 850. plus the fender eliminator. ~950, which might as well be $1000. and you still dont have the adjustable rearsets, and you have a 7 year old bike. for basically the same price as a 2 year old bike. 20k miles is just getting broken in.

if this is the raw deal you got, take it back to the dealer and demand satisfaction.

· Premium Member
3,797 Posts
Yeah they should give you $2000 on top of fixing the 02 to meet the same specs as the 07 you bought...

here generally 1st gens are 1000-3000 less than the 05+ bikes depending on toys on it..

heres the math i have gathered from your posts

2002 with 11k miles. stock, but $1000 less

vs

2007 with 20k miles. pimped out, but $1000 more

on top of the purchase price, you paid $742 for emulators and exhaust which is not a very good deal. Like the other guy said, you will probably need springs and oil. brings it to 850. plus the fender eliminator. ~950, which might as well be $1000. and you still dont have the adjustable rearsets, and you have a 7 year old bike. for basically the same price as a 2 year old bike. 20k miles is just getting broken in.

if this is the raw deal you got, take it back to the dealer and demand satisfaction.

· Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Upon further thought, I sent the dealer an email, and will be calling them tomorrow to speak to the manager regarding this issue.

I was down at your dealer last tuesday, and purchased a 2002 Suzuki SV650S. The bike was delivered today. Sort of.

Turns out, the bike I was shown was not the bike that was attempted to be delivered to me today.

The bike I looked at when I was in the dealer, turns out was a 2007. It had an M4 exhaust, Race-Tech emulators in the forks, LED undertail, and adjustable rearsets on it.

I spoke with Lacey today about it, and we came to an agreement on the issue of me purchasing the parts at a reduced price, and free labor to install them, THEN, have the bike delivered to me again.

After getting home and doing some serious thinking on it, I think I am entitled to everything that the bike that I was shown, had on it. The exhaust, LED undertail, emulators, and adjustable rearsets. And the bike will also need to be jetted and tuned with the exhaust system added to a carbuerated bike.

I feel I was misled, albeit not intentionally. Still, the blame does not lie with me on this. I was shown a bike, signed paperwork based on what I saw, and was attempted to have passed off on me, something completely different.

After thinking on this, I feel I should have ALL these parts on my bike I paid for, as the bike I was under the assumption I WAS paying for, was the bike with these modifications to it. No extra charge to me for parts or labor on this.

So, the bike should have on it:

M4 exhaust(and jet kit)
Race-tech emulators in the forks
Adjustable rearsets
LED undertail

All done at no charge to me due to the screw-up on the part of the dealer on this matter.

I would expect the $742 I was charged today for parts to be refunded to my debit card, and to have my bike to me as quick as possible with the listed modifcations to it installed.

I can be reached on wednesday from 8am to 4pm at (phone number edited out), that's my work number. After 4pm I am in class, and cannot be reached via phone.

Respectfully,
James Caldwell

· Premium Member
3,797 Posts
If they do all that, then it will still be a good deal... I had a 99 and they are good bikes... and actually handle a little better than the 06 I have now (but that could be the evil dunflop stock tires)... if I liked working on carbs then I would have probably got another 1st gen bike... but I hate it... nor have a shop to work on them anyway... and with the 06 it is nicer running when touring... the FI adjusts a bit for the pressure and temps so it runs a bit better when going from sealevel to 4000 feet or vise versa...

but otherwise... they are close to the same bike... I actually kind of like the 1st gen look a bit more...

the only thing is with a 1st gen bike, aftermarket parts arent as easily accessable as the 2nd gen.. and you might want to rig something to prevent water off the tire from funnling into the spark plug... 03+ have a flap that blocks it... with 02 and earlier you will need to slather it up with dielectric grease and make sure the drain is clear or in a heavy rain you could have firing issues with the front plug..

· Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If they do all that, then it will still be a good deal... I had a 99 and they are good bikes... and actually handle a little better than the 06 I have now (but that could be the evil dunflop stock tires)... if I liked working on carbs then I would have probably got another 1st gen bike... but I hate it... nor have a shop to work on them anyway... and with the 06 it is nicer running when touring... the FI adjusts a bit for the pressure and temps so it runs a bit better when going from sealevel to 4000 feet or vise versa...

but otherwise... they are close to the same bike... I actually kind of like the 1st gen look a bit more...

the only thing is with a 1st gen bike, aftermarket parts arent as easily accessable as the 2nd gen.. and you might want to rig something to prevent water off the tire from funnling into the spark plug... 03+ have a flap that blocks it... with 02 and earlier you will need to slather it up with dielectric grease and make sure the drain is clear or in a heavy rain you could have firing issues with the front plug..
I don't plan on riding in heavy rain if at all possible.

· Premium Member
3,797 Posts
I don't plan on riding in heavy rain if at all possible.

I never noticed a problem myself... but only ever got to ride in heavy rain a couple times..... but some here do have issues with the SV losing the front in heavy rain.... a tight cap and maybe a little electrical grease (dielectric) on the base of the plugs helps block moisture anyway... teh fender extender or flap rigged up under the rad to block it is good too..

I'd push the issue of the bait and switch with them... threaten to return it if they don't want to play ball..... you are well within your rights as they sold you the 07 but swapped it with an 02... if they want to keep the sale they should do it....perhaps if they made other arrangements like lifetime oil changes or maybe yearly basic tuneups for the next 5 years and such....

· Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I never noticed a problem myself... but only ever got to ride in heavy rain a couple times..... but some here do have issues with the SV losing the front in heavy rain.... a tight cap and maybe a little electrical grease (dielectric) on the base of the plugs helps block moisture anyway... teh fender extender or flap rigged up under the rad to block it is good too..

I'd push the issue of the bait and switch with them... threaten to return it if they don't want to play ball..... you are well within your rights as they sold you the 07 but swapped it with an 02... if they want to keep the sale they should do it....perhaps if they made other arrangements like lifetime oil changes or maybe yearly basic tuneups for the next 5 years and such....
Well, I'm gonna call and speak to the manager, not the sales manager, the dealership manager, the man who runs the joint.

I will definitely threaten to return it if they don't take care of me.

· Registered
4,885 Posts
if you were set on a 2nd gen, why not just ask for a refund in full? Will you really be happy riding around on a completely different body/frame style? It's not like they gave you an 06 instead of an 07. They gave you a bike that is 5 years older. Even if they make up all the upgraded parts, it still doesn't seem worth it to me. Your 02 just isn't worth as much with depreciation.

· Registered
408 Posts
You may want to reconsider this deal. Personally I would take the bike back, should still be an option. There are plenty of used SVs out there to pick from and buy even if you have to wait a few months to get what you want.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.