Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that it is warming up, I am starting to use the SV to commute to work again. I have a huge tailbag and cortech saddlebags but I just use those for long trips. I mainly just throw my laptop (work requirement) in my backpack and wear that in. I also take my lunch now which doesn't fit in the backpack so I strap my lunchbox to the back seat. I just flip the carry handle around and pass it through the locking mechanism under the seat pan. So far it has worked out fairly well except for once when it slid out (before i started passing it through the latch) and landed on the exhaust - I didn't notice until I got home - hence the duct tape. I am considering sewing something on the back that will let me loop it around the grab rail just to keep it a little more secure.

Any of you guys that commute with a bunch of crap - how do you carry everything?

-Nuc

·
Registered
457 Posts
backpack PLUS cortech tailbag. gotta have dress shoes and pants since i ride in wearing jeans and a* boots. plus i gotta have room for foodage

·
Registered
52 Posts
I also have the Cortech saddlebags (which I won't be able to use anymore due to my fender eliminator), and I used to strap down my lunchbox on the back with one of the bungee nets. Not the best looking thing, but it worked out.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a tankbag (recon 19) but my lunch doesn't fit in there very well. I like the cortech tailbags - maybe i'll reconsider them.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My girlfriend got me a backpack from The North Face for Christmas and it works well. It has straps that go around your waist and it stays put at all times, I never even notice it's there. When commuting to work I carry my extra shoes and clothes. Depending on what time I am working til I'll throw an extra shield in there if it's going to be dark out when I leave.

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
A decent tankbag and tail bag can carry a lot of stuff. I used a Cortech tank bag and tail bag on my SV. Now I used a JC Whitney locking top box and Givi hard side cases on my F650GS. It's nice being able to lock everything up, you just have to get used to the look, LOL.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have a tankbag (recon 19) but my lunch doesn't fit in there very well. I like the cortech tailbags - maybe i'll reconsider them.
I would give the "wedge style" one that I have 2 thumbs up. A buddy of mine had one and he said to give it a shot so i did. honestly have to say its been really nice to have and i can pop it off easy (using the bungees) if necessary. Not too terribly priced, but last riding season i noticed ALOT of shops around me had trouble keeping them stocked. I am looking for a tank bag now and i think i will give a good look to the 14L cortech bag with removable map pouch...

·
Registered
984 Posts
I use a magnetic tank bag. stays put and pops off when I get there.
Yup. I have an expanding one that can fit an amazing amount of stuff in there. This year, I'm leaving a pair of shoes at my desk, so I just carry lunch and my tech-geek stuff in the tank bag. Works pretty well overall.

·
Registered
333 Posts
A decent tankbag and tail bag can carry a lot of stuff. I used a Cortech tank bag and tail bag on my SV. Now I used a JC Whitney locking top box and Givi hard side cases on my F650GS. It's nice being able to lock everything up, you just have to get used to the look, LOL.
I use the coretech tail and tank bag. They suit my needs.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[snip] Not too terribly priced, but last riding season i noticed ALOT of shops around me had trouble keeping them stocked. I [more snip]
I had a heck of a time getting the saddlebags - noone carried them in black. Finally found a lone pair at my dealer so I paid the dealer price.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Tank bag or tail bag for daily and larger stuff. I have 3 different tail bags based on how much/what I need to carry. Tank bag is most convenient.

Backpacks are OK but I'd rather not have something on my body if I crash, especially if my laptop's in it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have an Icon Urban tankbag/backpack/helmet carrier. A little cheezy as far as stitching quality, but overall, I'm happy with it. 4 strong magnets hold it to the tank, padded straps covert it into a backpack, and it has a thick pad to cover and carry your helmet when you are just walking around. I love it... Just don't expect the interior detail stitching to hold up to much.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Not sure why you just don't use your tailbag. Personally, I dislike riding with a backpack. (I'll wear my camelback on longer trips, but I don't even like how that feels.)

As for tankbags, I can recommend the Cortech Super 14 (14-liter) bag. Not sure if it will fit your laptop, but they also make an 18-liter model that's about 3" wider.

My review, here: http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=76363&highlight=cortech+super&page=6

Actually, I have the full Cortech Sport set-up (tankbag/tailbag/saddlebags), and can recommend any or all of these products.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My tailbag is enormous - I generally don't use it unless I have the saddlebags on because it has quick release latches that attach to the bags - and I don't normally leave the saddlebags on just because I don't want to expose them to the elements unecessarily or have them rubbing against the bike all the time.

Has anyone ever put a laptop in a tank bag w/ the magnets? Does it cause any harm?

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Lots of folks on here carry their laptops in there tankbags without issue.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Lots of folks on here carry their laptops in there tankbags without issue.
Yeah, but not all magnets are equal and I'm still careful with them.

My problem is that my laptop is too big for my tank bag, hence the tail bag. Also, you don't want a huge amount of weight in your tank bag, they're meant for lighter loads so keep that in mind.

Most hard drive failures are when people suspend their laptop instead of shutting it down and the drive heads aren't parked. Or the laptop wakes up while en route and the drives spin up. Normal hard drives don't like vibration when in use.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts