Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Im a new rider and just got my bike. I accedently left the parking light on and the battery went dead causing it not to start anymore. I charged the battery and its still not starting. The kill switch is in the on position, the safety switch is connected. Ive tried starting it with the kickstand down and up while holding in the clutch. The bike it on (lights, horn, odo etc) but its not starting up. The makes no clicking noise when I press the starter button.

Help please!!!!

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
In this situation it's almost always one of the safety switches. My first check would be the clutch safety switch. Look at the connection, make sure it's secure, wiggle it, etc. If that doesn't work, jump it with a short wire or a paperclip. That's my first guess.

Next check the sidestand safety switch, and then the kill switch.

My money says one of those three isn't working properly.

·
Super Moderator
9,148 Posts
Hello Im a new rider and just got my bike. I accedently left the parking light on and the battery went dead causing it not to start anymore. I charged the battery and its still not starting. The kill switch is in the on position, the safety switch is connected. Ive tried starting it with the kickstand down and up while holding in the clutch. The bike it on (lights, horn, odo etc) but its not starting up. The makes no clicking noise when I press the starter button.

Help please!!!!
Since the only thing that happened between working/not working was leaving the lights on, and you've check the obvious switches, then I would still suspect the battery.

How old is the battery? If it was on it's last leg, then prolonged deep discharge may have put it over the edge. How and how long did you charge the battery for. A long gentle charge might bring it back. Nominal battery voltage should be 12.6 volts with the key off.

·
Registered
799 Posts
it clicks when you push button, which means all switches are good and power is getting to starter relay. only thing you missing is voltage to turn starter motor. so, get new battery.
assuming you have tight connection on battery.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
One thing to realize is that an almost "dead" battery can still put out 12 volts. So taking a reading when the battery is not under load is usually useless. The real test is when the battery is asked to perform, such as turning over a starter. Just because the battery was "charged" and is now reading 12 volts is not enough. Just like someone above mentioned, its probably a weak battery. I recently had a battery in a car that could run the lights and start the car, but it was still unreliable. When put under a battery test load, it failed..and after 4 years was ready to be replaced. Hope that helps

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
did you try to push it in second gear down a hill? even if the battery is completely dead it will start, just have someone there to push it back up if you don't get it started.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm having a similar but not identical problem. I low-sided the bike on the left side, breaking the clutch lever, shift lever, and bar end. Full gear = walked away with a small bruise on my hip.

I rode the bike home and it ran just fine. I put it up and stands for three weeks until I could get the parts. I replaced the clutch lever and shifter.

I am making it into a track bike and did the following while it was parked:
1. Removed the seat to clear out junk that had worked down from under the rear seat.
2. Lifted the gas tank and installed velocity stacks, a K&N filter, and an SV1000 snorkle.
3. Installed frame and swing arm sliders.
4. Put in riser plates and race pegs.

After putting everything back together, the engine doesn't turn -- no clicking.

When I turn on the key I see the neutral light, speedo backlight, and oil light. The fuel pump ticks, but there is no response when I push the starter button.

The battery is good (load tested). The kill switch disables/enables the fuel pump. The kickstand only kills the engine if in gear, I think. When I shift, the neutral responds as it should.

I suspect the clutch switch, but don't know where it is. Secondarily it could be a wire/fuse under the seat, except I didn't even move any of them.

Can anyone tell me where the clutch switch is? How would I go about testing them? I am good with a multimeter.

Any other ideas?

TIA,

Michael

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I bought a new battery and found that I was using the wrong battery before, but replacing the battery didnt fix the issue. When I press the starter button I just hear clicking from the starter sylinoid. The starter is not turning at all.

·
Super Moderator
9,148 Posts
A clicking solenoid is the classic symptom of a weak battery. Are you sure your new battery is fully charged? Also make sure that the battery terminal bolts are tight.

If you have a voltmeter, check the voltage across the batter while hitting the starter button. If the drops down much below 10 volts, then the battery needs charging.

Did I understand correctly that all was OK before you battery had died? If so, then the starter motor and solenoid are probably OK.

Double check the batter and post back.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts