Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My SV650 race exhaust woes (UPDATED 5/12)

ok i am getting kinda aggravated at the exhaust on my sv race bike. here is my problem.

originally, i had a full MICRON high-mount system with a carbon-fiber can. this was from when my sv was a street bike. once i started racing with that exhaust, within 3 race weekends, the carbon fiber can split in half. ok so carbon fiber is too flimsy for racing. whatever. this happened in june 2007.

so in june 2007, i bought a new stainless hindle can from street & comp at the track so i could keep racing that weekend when my carbon fiber micron can snapped in half. the hindle can worked good for about a year (8 race weekends). but then suddenly i noticed that all the packing material had been lost and the can was empty. this was in june 2008.

i just kept racing with the empty hindle can for the rest of 2008 (it sounded awful and harsh). during the 2008-2009 winter, i figured i'd repack the hindle can. so i drilled out the rivets on the end caps of the hindle can, but when i tried to separate the sleeve, the whole can basically got destroyed because it simply would not come apart. so the hindle can was trashed during the attempt to repack.

so it is still the winter between 2008 and 2009 season. and now i figured i'd go back to a micron can (which are repackable since it is held together with an allen bolt). but this time i would get a stainless micron can so the flimsy carbon fiber wouldn't snap in half again. so i bought a brand new stainless micron can and put it on my bike in preparation for the 2009 racing season.

during the first race weekend of 2009 (last weekend), the stainless micron can ruptured at the end cap (on the engine side) during a race. the rubber seal completely came off the can, and the exhaust was blowing out the seam between the sleeve and engine-side end cap.

SO PLEASE.... WTF CAN IS A DECENT ONE TO RACE WITH??????? all I want is for the **** thing to work (not rupture or lose all it's packing). and if it loses the packing, it would even be fine if the **** thing can be repacked.

can you give me your experience with whatever manufacturer you would recommend?

TIA...

---------- UPDATE -------------

ok so the micron distributor took the exhaust back and "fixed" it, then shipped it back to me. i used it last weekend in the may 9-10 race at LRRS. after 5 races, the same seal blew apart again and exhaust gas was blowing out between the sleeve and engine-side end cap.

lol this micron thing is a piece of sh!t.

so i called up the USA micron distributor and told them i wanted my money back because the exhaust doesn't work under race conditions. the guy said he can't take it back because now "it is a used exhaust". so i asked him "how many times would i be able to ship it back for repair under warranty?" he said that "micron just went out of business, so there is no warranty at all." lol, what a ripoff this has been-- i guess i should have researched before getting this can.

anyways i argued with this guy some more telling him the exhaust can was a piece of garbage and threatened to do a stop-payment on my credit card. he goes on and on about how people use micron exhausts in 200 HP bikes, blah blah blah. so i tell him my bike makes like 68 HP and his stories are a crock of sh!t.

eventually he asks me what kind of bike i have. i tell him it is an sv650 and all of a sudden he says "OHHHHHH NOW I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOUR PROBLEM IS....." so i'm thinking please enlighten me mr. douchebag what is my problem. "YOUR MOTOR IS A V-TWIN AND THE BACK-PRESSURE PULSES ARE TOO GREAT. MICRON HAS A SPECIAL CANNISTER FOR V-TWINS."

so i'm thinking the guy is just full of sh!t, but i tell him "well i told you when i ordered the exhaust that it was for an sv650." whatever. the guy agrees to fix the exhaust again and this time use the "new and improved seal for v-twins". lol. i'm pretty skeptical.

i'm pretty sure my $300 is out the window at this point, buy i'll ship the thing back to him and see what they do for an improved seal. if it looks like it will work, maybe i'll try it, otherwise i'll just sell the thing on ebay and get an M4 exhaust.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah my 2nd race bike has an M4 on it and haven't had a problem with it. The thing is, the M4 uses a different diameter mid-pipe than the one I have, so I can't just buy the M4 can and put it on my existing pipes-- I'd need to buy the full system. Maybe that's the way to go-- just bite the bullet and lay out the cash to do it.

What about Yosh? They look like they would come apart no problem to repack. Both end caps of a Yosh can go on the _outside_ of the sleeve, so it seems like it should come apart easy. I wonder what diameter is the inlet to the can?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know what you're doing wrong but I've re-packed a Hindle can many times without any problems.
lol then educate me, please! after you drilled the rivets, what was your secret method of getting the end caps separated from the sleeve?

i beat on mine with rubber mallets in all different directions. it never budged. eventually the end caps were starting to get destroyed from the hammering. so i got out my plasma cutter and cut a few notches right at the seam between the end caps and sleeve. still no dice. as i continued to slowly destroy it, basically i found that the sleeve was seized to the end caps. even after i totally gave up and just cut the whole can in half with the plasma cutter (for sh!ts and giggles), it still didn't just "come apart"-- i had to pick the seam apart bit by bit.

at the end, my conclusion was that i had no chance in hell of ever getting it apart without destroying the can.

·
Registered
785 Posts
have a full Micron on my racebike for that last 3 years....no issues.

BTW...I have a Hindle can that is in great condition for sale.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Interesting to me is how these supposed "race" cans don't stand up to actual race conditions. If it was me, each one of those cans would have gone back to the manufacturer, with a detailed note of the problems and a demand for a full refund or replacement.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have had all 4 systems, hindle, micron, M4 and Yosh. I found that sometimes the end cap could get fused by carbon and make it very hard to take apart. Did you try and heat the pipe while tapping it with a rubber mallett? Quality wise I like the M4 the best and the Micron the least by the way.

·
Registered
85 Posts
This is interesting. My Micron did the same thing with the seal. I raced it all last year with the exhaust blowing out the on the motorside. I was going to repack but can't really find a US distributor that sells a kit. I would like to know if there is a shorty Yosh can that would work. Heck I would love a GP style exhaust with no can!

Just edited...What about a Akro can? is it the same diameter?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok so the micron distributor took the exhaust back and "fixed" it, then shipped it back to me. i used it last weekend in the may 9-10 race at LRRS. after 5 races, the same seal blew apart again and exhaust gas was blowing out between the sleeve and engine-side end cap.

lol this micron thing is a piece of sh!t.

so i called up the USA micron distributor and told them i wanted my money back because the exhaust doesn't work under race conditions. the guy said he can't take it back because now "it is a used exhaust". so i asked him "how many times would i be able to ship it back for repair under warranty?" he said that "micron just went out of business, so there is no warranty at all." lol, what a ripoff this has been-- i guess i should have researched before getting this can.

anyways i argued with this guy some more telling him the exhaust can was a piece of garbage and threatened to do a stop-payment on my credit card. he goes on and on about how people use micron exhausts in 200 HP bikes, blah blah blah. so i tell him my bike makes like 68 HP and his stories are a crock of sh!t.

eventually he asks me what kind of bike i have. i tell him it is an sv650 and all of a sudden he says "OHHHHHH NOW I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOUR PROBLEM IS....." so i'm thinking please enlighten me mr. douchebag what is my problem. "YOUR MOTOR IS A V-TWIN AND THE BACK-PRESSURE PULSES ARE TOO GREAT. MICRON HAS A SPECIAL CANNISTER FOR V-TWINS."

so i'm thinking the guy is just full of sh!t, but i tell him "well i told you when i ordered the exhaust that it was for an sv650." whatever. the guy agrees to fix the exhaust again and this time use the "new and improved seal for v-twins". lol. i'm pretty skeptical.

i'm pretty sure my $300 is out the window at this point, buy i'll ship the thing back to him and see what they do for an improved seal. if it looks like it will work, maybe i'll try it, otherwise i'll just sell the thing on ebay and get an M4 exhaust.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
If they need a "special" seal for the mighty ;) power of an SV, then the regular seal was a piece of crap to begin with.

Just my .02

·
Registered
30 Posts
I can't help but think if all your cans are vibrating apart so easily that you have it mounted too rigidly???? Maybe look at how you are mounting the can to the frame and releive some of the vibration that is getting too it. Just a thought. I've had a Hindle for several years now and it is still in great shape!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can't help but think if all your cans are vibrating apart so easily that you have it mounted too rigidly???? Maybe look at how you are mounting the can to the frame and releive some of the vibration that is getting too it. Just a thought. I've had a Hindle for several years now and it is still in great shape!
they aren't really "vibrating apart". what happens is that the rubber seal is getting hot (and gooey) and so it comes loose from the seam between the sleeve and end cap. it is just a bad design-- it probably holds up on the street but not in a racing application (although the can does say "for race use only" on it, lol).

your hindle is riveted together so it doesn't have these problems.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Yeah, Micron is JUNK. My buddy Brian Oxx (LRRS #110) went through 3 of them on his 1st gen SV before he jumped ship & went to Holeshot & so far that's been workin out for him.

I've got a Leo Vince shorty pipe w/ a "custom" high mount mid-pipe that was rigged up by the previous owner (Ryan Hobbs, if you know him). Works just fine. If it ever craps out on me I think I'd like to go to an M4 full system... and maybe some other end pipe just for aesthetics ;)

You always race LRRS? Expert? What's your number, can't tell by the avatar. I'm 187, just bumped to Expert at the beginning of the year. Havin a blast tryin to follow Babcock & Doucette for the first lap & 1/2 :p

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You always race LRRS? Expert? What's your number, can't tell by the avatar. I'm 187, just bumped to Expert at the beginning of the year. Havin a blast tryin to follow Babcock & Doucette for the first lap & 1/2 :p
No I just started racing a little over a year ago so I am NV, will probably be bumped to AM this year. I was running 1:26 last weekend. I'm # 106, you can't miss my bike-- it is painted with rhino-liner.

Doucette is on a MW this year isn't he (after retiring for the 3rd or 4th time or something...)? Babcock has that bike sorted pretty well.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts