Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdee all, I just xported my '00 sv650 to new home in Portland, OR. I came from Guam (Pacific island). I had drained fuel and oil for the xport. After replacing oil and a new gas tank (due to rust) the bike has NO TORQUE. It takes a few seconds to red line with full throttle in NEUTRAL! I have little mechanical experience and don't know a good shop around here, yet. What are some things I can read about or check to troubleshoot this problem?

Thank you!
Ken

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
no.

I have now drained the float bowls, thanks for the tip though not sure why I would need to do that. The rear drained heavily but the front did not. The front only drained a couple of drops.

She has been sitting about 3 months in a container crossing the ocean.

What about cleaning the carbs? Is that something I can do without disassembling the carbs from the bike? If so, where do I spray the carb cleaner?

Ken

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aha, now what.

After further testing...

It seems the problem is this: the front cylinder is not getting gas. When I drained the float bowls the front bowl did not have any gas in it. When I sprayed carb cleaner into the front carb the engine ran normally until it consumbed the carb cleaner. I detached the fuel line from the front cylinder and tried blowing into the carb with the float bowl drain valve open. I was unable to force any air through the carb. Looks like a blockage in the carb. Know a good place online for a carb rebuild kit?

·
Registered
430 Posts
carb rebuild? not sure where or why or what is blocking fuel but couldn't you just take er apart and clean it up not to many places there could be blockage. 3 months is not much time...not sure....

maybe the float got out of alignment and is not letting the bowl fill fully? that'd be my first guess... :?

btw welcome to portland! let me know if you wana go for a ride. I'll show ya some roads.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rebuild.

If I understand correctly...

A rebuild kit consists of a float, needle, and O-rings. Shouldn't I replace the O-rings at least if I'm gonna take it apart to clean it?

:idea: Oh cool! Thanks for the welcome. That would be groovy, once the sv is no longer on the blink. She's my only ride. I live in SW with my wife near OHSU. eMail is [email protected]

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
carb clean

You don't need to do all that. You just need to clean the carbs, and I think three months actually is long enough for you to get blockages in the small passages. I'll go basic cause it seems like you're not an experienced mechanic, but when gas sits it dries and turns to varnish, which can seriously clog your carbs. When I bought my '00 SV from a friend it had been sitting about three months -- the carbs weren't blocked, but when I pulled them and opened them up they were starting to varnish up in the float bowls.

An easy way to get friendly with your bike for the first time is to pull the carbs off. Look on the tips and tricks board for the article about rejectting your carbs yourself of under $10 and you'll find instructions on how to pull the carbs off. Tank off, airbox off (this requires disconnecting a number of vent hoses, be sure to reconnect them when you're done), throttle cables and choke cable and idle adjuster off, loosen carb boots and pull the carbs. Then you need to be judicious about getting the bowls off because if you're not careful you'll strip the screws, I'd take the opportunity not for o rings, but to get allen head bolts to replace the phillips head screws. Along the way you will have drained the bowls, now with the bowls off spray your carb cleaner in all the passages, pull the jets out and spray them out, used compressed air to clean the passages. You can put an inline filter on the line from the tank if you want, make sure there are no blockages in any of the fuel lines.

Have fun, I love this stuff.

ari

·
Registered
82 Posts
Where did you buy the bike? If it came from Guam or that area it may be jetted for that climate / altitude. You may just need to re-jet to your new altitude.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
dhuze said:
Where did you buy the bike? If it came from Guam or that area it may be jetted for that climate / altitude. You may just need to re-jet to your new altitude.
it wouldn't be off that far..

check front plug syndrome, is drain hole clear, is water trapped under plug boot, might just be running on 1 cylinder

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
a set of good used carbs sell on ebay for $50-$100. Check with the seller that they're decent before you bid! When you get them drop the float bowls and have a quick look to make sure they're clean. Swapping them out is simple, just check the manual (free PDF download).

This will be much cheaper than a rebuild.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds like a stuck float. Take the air box off, get it running with the carb cleaner and then tap on the float bowl with the butt end of a screw driver. You may dislodge the float and it will pull gas into the float bowl. Its wort a try you may not need to do any thing else, good luck.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
donniej said:
a set of good used carbs sell on ebay for $50-$100. Check with the seller that they're decent before you bid! When you get them drop the float bowls and have a quick look to make sure they're clean. Swapping them out is simple, just check the manual (free PDF download).

This will be much cheaper than a rebuild.
Where do I get a hold of this PDF manual that you speak of?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts