Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, fellow SV riders, i am having a problem with my 2000 sv650. After only 8 months of owning the bike, i have faced trials which make me more familiar with this bike.
1 week before - i washed my motorcycle very well, and did not turn it on for a week. I did have a battery charger connected to it, to maintain it. I also left it with minimal gas in the tank(light was blinking for about 10 miles, 89 octane)

3 days ago - i changed the oil on my motorcycle, still had not turned it on until later. When i went to turn on motorcycle, was a bit difficult, so i went and bought 2 gallons of gas and i put it in the tank. Still had trouble turning it on, but it eventually idled perfectly. After about 3 minutes, i tried to rev the motorcycle, but i felt lack of power, and a quick twist of throttle would turn it off. The revs would also not pass 2k, and if i tried twisting the throttle more, it would shut. I put some seafoam in the tank hoping it would help. After a second shot, there was a sudden and loud noise that came from the motor? I immediately stopped.

yesterday- i changed the front spark plug, thinking it was extremely oxidized, which it kinda was. checked fluid levels. When i tried to turn it on without choke, it just keeps trying to start and start, but never does. With a full choke it does the same for a bit, but sometimes turns on for a couple seconds but then turns off. Battery is at a full charge

-i am quite new to motorcycles, so any help or suggestions would be deeply appreciated. My father, familiar with cars and semi's, suggested checking distributor, electrical,carbs, while i think maybe bad gas, carb, fuel etc.

Thank You, Jose

·
Registered
78 Posts
My guess is an electrical problem, see if you have good spark on both plugs. Try to start it and check the exhaust pipe which one is getting warm. Sometimes water gets in to the spark plug cup so check that as well. Than if the spark is good check the carbs just to see if they are dirty. You can also check the airbox and inlet pipes where the carbs connect to the cylinder head if they tight so that there is no air leak.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i dont know if this is normal, but the air filter had gas, and there was some in that compartment as well. Also, bike seems to idle at 900 rpm for like 5 sec then dies, giving throttle shuts it off. I had the carbs cleaned late january too...

·
Registered
604 Posts
i dont know if this is normal, but the air filter had gas, and there was some in that compartment as well. Also, bike seems to idle at 900 rpm for like 5 sec then dies, giving throttle shuts it off. I had the carbs cleaned late january too...
How did it run before the carb clean? Did it run better after the clean until now?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honestly, i only noticed a difference in the first couple of days. After that it ran a bit better, a little more noticeable power. The mechanic was very clever working with a noob like me. I later figured it was just water in the spark plug, which i could have done, but he diagnosed carbs and cleaned them. These recent days of riding, it hasnt really had any more power than when i first got the bike.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Just a thought but was it running ok before you washed it? You could be only running on one cylinder. Check the front cylinder drain hole...may be plugged and not allowing spark.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I checked the spark plugs, and i replaced one that was oxidized. Only thought is maybe water was sitting there after the wash and other damage is unknown. It can barely start and idle at about 800 for a second and then it shuts off. Similiar to water in plug except it wont stay on at all... Should seafoam be added to look for outcome?

*As i still havent figured the problem, could an oil change or wash affect my motorcycle in such a way, the sudden defect makes no sense to me as i continue to research the problem. Thanks for the insight as well!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Maybe it's time to check the valves, if the valves clearance is to tight you won't be able to start the engine. Excuse my english but i try to help.

Mike

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
As a diversion, did you change the oil with the engine cold? This has nothing to do with your running problem, but you should let the engine warm up and then cool down for a few minutes and then change the oil. You will get more of the old oil out that way.

Did you clean out the drainage hole for the front spark plug well? Do you know if the front plug well is dry? How does the front plug cap look inside, any corrosion? You should buy some dielectric grease and put a small amount into the plug cap. Have you tested the spark for both plugs? Your dad could show you how. By the way, your SV does not have a distributor.

An oil change would not cause the running issues; washing the bike could if you really got the front plug or other wires really wet. I know that you can ride the bike in the rain, but using a hose is different than water splashing onto the bike from the road. I only use a hose on wheels, not on the bike.

You can also drain the carb float bowls to make sure there is no water in the carbs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah, i used some starter fluid on the bike, and i have finally ended on the conclusion that it is, in fact, an electrical problem. Because the bike rev'ed up high, but would not stay, and would then shut off. I dinstinctly remember washing every single part of the bike, with direct hose contact, which i know is no good for the bike, and i will never do again.

I would like a well-judged opinion on what i should do. Either A: Hire a mechanic to trace and solve the problem, bike will not move and i dont have a trailer. B: quarrel with the problem myself, but with a very limited knowledge with electrics and the bikes system. Thanks to the guys who have given input already, i really appreciate the help.

Well then gentlemen, any suggestions?

p.s. - i also remember washing the bottom of the tail of the motorcycle...inm case there are any important eletronics in that general region.

·
Registered
199 Posts
i had issues after wasking my bike too, and i had an isue that sounds kinda of like yours when i accednetly unpluged something. on the clutch side of your bike under you take you should see your air filter running into 2 hoses, make sure nothing electrical is loose around there, i acidently unplugged a wire and had a lot of the same problems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I have finally committed to finding this problem as soon as possible and discovered that, Neither of the Plugs wires are giving a spark. Trying to start the bike, there was no discharge of electricity. I checked the battery, the small box with one '30' fuse, which had electricity, and the two wires entering the coil, which also had electricity, i checked the other coil and it was also recieving electricity. Could the coils be the problem, or is it simply time to change both plug wires. I would also like to give thanks to those contributions done throughout this thread. Certainly a caring vibe around here, diggin' it!

edit: i used a mere lightbulb, voltmeter instrument

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
I don't think that you can change out the plug leads without changing the coils. The leads, wires, are integral to the coils, permanent. There is one possibility.You mentioned that you washed the bottom of the tail. The plastic sub fender is solid, but perhaps you got water up into the area where the ignitor box is located. That black box is the electronic ignition for your spark plugs. It has a large multiwire connector which may been soaked. The ignitor box is located above the taillight. You have to remove all the rear body work to access, The source of the signal to the ignitor box for sparking the plugs is called the signal or pulse generator. That is located adjacent to the generator stator behind the left engine side cover. That's another possible culprit, but I would look at the connector to the ignitor box first. The signal generator rarely conks out.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I think the manual also says to check the ignition switch, signal/side stand relay(less likely as it turns over) and your engine stop switch. May not be any of those but since it seems to of happened after you washed...maybe you washed some dirt into one of the switches? The relay however may have gotten shorted??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I will check the ignition box, which fortunately is under the cowel. And i dont know if i goofed, but i pulled the plug lead/wire from the coil's designated reception, and then i slipped it back on. I saw the wiring and decided it was not meant to take off. Although it wasnt difficult to remove, just a snug hose.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It is with great embarassment that i give the reason for a no start...the carbs have no gas in them. So what i did was pour some gas into a carburetor and Voila! it started to go, but turned off.

So i will follow gas leads because a lot of gas was on the floor which i have to check.

But i will ask for a little more input on the situation. The gas seems to be leaking from those pipes attached to the muffler, (not through the muffler) it might be a leak above these pipes. Any particular apparatus or important line i could make sure of, or look into? Thank you SVRider community.

Sincerely, TheMayan

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Lift the tank and start from the vacuum petcock on the tank. Check the hose from the petcock to the fuel pump, then from the other end of the pump to the space in between the two carbs, then to each carb. Check the petcock gasket itself and the vacuum line from the nipple on the rear carb to the petcock.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I checked the lines running from the petcock to the fuel pump and into the carbs, which were secure. I pulled the hose from the petcock to the pump and there was fuel flowing.

I think there might be something with the carbs, since the discharge near the muffler is somewhat rare for me.

I ordered a repair manual so ill check out the carbs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts