Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which would be more aptly titled, what I am doing to my sv since nobody loves it or wants it but me. Long story short I lowsided into the gravel at a trackday last year. The bike got some decent gravel rash on the paintjob, and I listed it for dirt cheap in the classifieds try to get rid of it and buy a supermoto or a liter bike. Unfortunately, all that succeeded in doing was attracting dirt bags who would low ball me to ridiculous amounts, even though the only damage was cosmetic.

Anywho I plan to convert this bike into a race bike, but also have an easy system in place where I can swap it back to street trim.

Goals:
-fix up the body work and repaint
-acquire parts necessary for racing and prep the bike
-come up with some quick change type system to go from track to street trim easily
-shave any unnessary weight
-quiet down my noisy ass exhaust

This is how it looked right before being put away for winter: (duct tape kept the rashed tank from rusting..every biker stopped to ask me about this)

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So first things first, taking care of maintenance stuff. I had a really bad front brake system, spongy lever, bad feel, bad stopping power. I had no confidence on the brakes at all, my track time was mostly squeeze hard with all 4 fingers and pray. I ordered a brembo master, stainless lines, and some vesrah pads. Meanwhile...

Rebuilding the calipers:

Next I needed some new street rubber, and a set of spare rims with race rubber. A phone call to a local racer scored me some rims with rotors and hardware. I ordered some roadsmarts last week and they came this morning.

So here's a word of advice, don't ever mount your own sport touring tires, unless you are a masochist. My wrists and back are sore, and my hands and knees are raw. I don't think I'll be able to get out of bed tomorrow morning. It took me all day to get these tires fitted, and it was a day not well spent.

Initially I tried breaking the bead by using c-clamps. Those didn't work very well, so I tried sticking the tire under my truck and jacking it on the bead. That didn't work either. Finally after an hour of failure, I came up with this elegant and safe solution:

Basically I would jump on the pick axe with both feet like a pogo stick until the bead broke. And finally, after literally hours of muscleing these around with tire spoons and c-clamps, they are mounted. I am never doing this again, a local racer charges $20/wheel to swap rubber, and it's a bargain. The only reason I didn't go that route is because I am dirt poor and part jewish.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quieting the loud ass exhaust

Well some time ago I thought it would be a fun project to chop my m4 slip on. I thought it would lose a lot of weight (which it did) and also make the exhaust note a little beefier. I was not too happy with the m4 sound, because it was too similar to a debaffled stock muffler. I regretted it immediately after I fired it up, I didn't realize just how much the volume would go up. This is what it sounds like (when the doves cry): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8kBVQdYTJA

So I thought about adding some kinda baffle in the tip. I welded a big ass washer to a threaded rod, and bolted it to the tip. The result was a lot of bass cut out, and really weird sounding, like a wet fart. It is still incredibly loud when you get on the throttle hard. It is also made so you can poke your finger in there and turn the washer sideways to open up the flow. Although my biggest concern is failing tech inspection at the track for noise levels.

and there she sits at the end of today:

·
Registered
827 Posts
-come up with some quick change type system to go from track to street trim easily
[/IMG]
this was my plan too, i was well on my way to that point until she got totaled. good plan IMO, most would agree not to have a 'transformer' bike (street-->track & vice versa) but i would anyway. i would have made a custom plug or harness that everything (license plate light, signals, etc) connects to just to make it easier. good luck with the build!

what bodywork do you have?

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well not much progress so far, I took off all my rotors and brought them to a machine shop to get bead blasted. Still waiting on them before I can get my bike out for a test ride. Also waiting on my new brakes (brembo MC, vesrah pads) to come in the mail.

Here's a shot of the bike as it sits now, with the spare tank I bought off a racer. Just wanted your guys opinion on how the white looks with the silver frame, I was debating painting all my street bodywork white. Other color suggestions are welcome. The track bodywork is going to be copper btw.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
so your poor and jewish...something doesn't fit well lol

It looks nice with the silver frame....gonna look way better with all of the plastics white

·
Registered
606 Posts
I like the white with silver frame. The black with white has been done.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what do you guys think of flat white instead of gloss? It would be easier to hide painting imperfections, plus I could shoot it with the duplicolor sparkly clear coat to get sort of a white 848 look.

·
Super Moderator
7,091 Posts
Flat white with the sparkle clear would look hot.

Actually, the clear will have to be flat, the gloss of the base (or lack of it) doesn't matter once it's cleared.

Do it!

Jay

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
what do you guys think of flat white instead of gloss? It would be easier to hide painting imperfections, plus I could shoot it with the duplicolor sparkly clear coat to get sort of a white 848 look.
I know exactly what you should do! Try a base coat clear coat, but put pearl in the clear. (base/clear is a two stage paint, the base is dull and the clear brings out the color, but don't use too much pearl and make sure to mix it good before spraying)!

If your want to be different/creative you can try different colors of pearl.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know exactly what you should do! Try a base coat clear coat, but put pearl in the clear. (base/clear is a two stage paint, the base is dull and the clear brings out the color, but don't use too much pearl and make sure to mix it good before spraying)!

If your want to be different/creative you can try different colors of pearl.
I have no paint guns or a proper booth... I was going to spray these with spray cans out in the garden shed. :(

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
interesting..but where would you fill it up? I do have a compressor and an inline air drier thingymabobber. I guess it wouldn't be too much extra to pick up a cheap harbor freight HVLP gun. But I have no idea where I would find the paint or the pearl. I would consider doing it if I could get the whole bike painted for under $50 bucks in paint (what I would pay in spray cans)

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Go to your local Napa or paint store and get a pint of paint and clear. pearl should come in a powder form you can mix into the clear. You'll need reducer and hardner and solvents. A small investment for an above avrage paint job! ;)

if they don't have it try ordering it online through a paint brand like color-rite.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
I'm just scared it will turn out like your clear coat ;)
Make sure it's not Urethane clear coat. In that case I would (and I should have) test the color and clear coat on a test peice before spraying all your parts. Thought beer and painkillers would help the situation. ;)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts