Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past Six months I have been trying to bring this bike back to life and for some reason it keeps wanting to break down on me. I haven’t had any good rides without wondering when it will break down on me again...
Anyways the bike was dropped on the left side stationary and once I picked it up and started to restart the engine the bike was cranking but not starting... now I found out the issue was one of the wires from the ignition coil came off when it dropped... unfortunately after trying to crank the bike it didn’t start and then it stopped cranking and now it won’t crank at all...

Things I’ve tried...
1) Checked Battery .... sitting at 12.8V
2) Arc’d the wires to check if motor works... this is okay
3) Checked continuity of the Y/G wire all the way to the starter... This is Okay
- As well the continuity from the starter to the ignition coils since the Y/W wire has a connection there
4) Replaced the Relay... no difference

By the way the headlights do not dim when the starter button is pushed but there is a drop in the batteries voltage
If I hold the starter too long Fuse#3 blows for the ignition...

Anything is helpful... thank you

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it’s good to mention that the clutch lever snapped when the bike fell... a small spring was found nearby the lever and since I replaced the lever but I do not know what the spring is from. Looking at a diagram the starting procedure goes from; starter switch to the clutch switch and then hits the clutch diode and then the starter relay

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am no guru on electricals but would suggest you get one for it all looks to me that the circuit is not complete at some point. Otherwise do not think the bike is cursed, it shall be fixed even here in the forum.

·
Registered
118 Posts
theres a safety switch on the clutch lever. connect the two wires together and see if it turns over, they may have come loose or the switch broke.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
theres a safety switch on the clutch lever. connect the two wires together and see if it turns over, they may have come loose or the switch broke.
there are two prongs with wiring behind them connected to the clutch similar to how the brake lever has it... but the clutch side was never connected to anything before and it ran fine...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looking at the clutch switch wiring it has been bypassed already similar to how the side stand switch was bypassed

·
Registered
118 Posts
when it fell over the carbs flooded or something like that. when you put the coil wire the bike turned over but the battery ran down. charge the battery.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Sounds like you're the one who's cursed and the bike is just the victim. As nick-sv stated, sounds like you just drained the battery trying to start it after flooding the carbs or you damaged the safety switch on the clutch when it fell or you're just doing a horrible job trying to put it back together and things are falling apart due to that. There is no way the coil should have come off from just a drop unless it wasn't put on properly in the first place. either way the bike is not starting because of something you did to it. If you're working on this thing, you have to be precise with your work and stop all of this jerry rigs and fix the thing right. Jerry rigs usually do not last and cause other headaches. Get rid of that negative energy toward it breaking down and bring positive energy into your work. Positive energy towards something usually leads to positive results... Good luck...

·
Registered
118 Posts
you need a volt ohm meter, and figure how the bike works with a wiring diagram. you can google how the charging system works, not much to them.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Just curious if the tip over sensor working correctly? IDK What Gen
SV you have. First gen doesn't have a tip over sensor.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Another unpopular answer. Get a schematic and a VOM or test light and troubleshoot the problem. If you don’t know how to do that find someone that does to either do it or help you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts