Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a sv650 2001 and i dont know much about the mechanics of a bike and could use some help

recently my low gas light stopped working so before i got on it a few weeks ago i shook it to see how much gas was in it and ever since my bike has had problems

when i accelerate everything is fine but when i hold the throttle steady it sputters and backfires and the speed does not stay constant. When i decelerate the bike backfires. It also takes more throttle to get the bike moving when im stopped.

Any ideas. a co worker said clean the air filter so thats what im doing right now. What else could be causing this?

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Make sure the foam under the tank hasn't pulled off and is being sucked into the airbox. Do you have any signs of rust in the tank? Perhaps you disturbed any sediment at the bottom of the tank and the screen at the end of the petcock inside the tank got partially blocked.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
If you say the bike was fine before you shook it, I would drain the gas, unscrew the petcock from underneath the tank and check the filter. Blow it out with some compressed air ever so gently, then refill with some fresh gas.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts