Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the dealership with the intention of buying a Hypermotard, but couldn't quite get comfortable with the idea of a 100HP motocross bike(I still struggle with habits from my motocrossing days when I ride on the pavement and didn't figure that bike would help). Ended up coming home with this....

Now I gotta decide which bike to ride on my first ever track day at NOLA in a couple of weeks, The SV that I am much more familiar with or the Monster. Which would you ride and why? I don't suppose I will be pushing it with either since I will have to ride in the novice/beginner group.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Very nice. Congratulations.

As much as you may want to show off the new bike, my advice is do not ride the new bike in a situation where you are trying to ride quickly until you are thoroughly familiar with how the bike will feel at those speeds and in those conditions. A few weeks is not enough time.

Don't ask me how I know this.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Very nice. Congratulations.

As much as you may want to show off the new bike, my advice is do not ride the new bike in a situation where you are trying to ride quickly until you are thoroughly familiar with how the bike will feel at those speeds and in those conditions. A few weeks is not enough time.

Don't ask me how I know this.
OP, you want the following situation at the track day:
New friend: "Wow, great skills on that bike bro!"

You do not want:
Old friend: "Hey buddy, isn't your new bike missing a fairing?"

:D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bring both to the trackday, and start with the SV. Later in the day, if you feel comfortable with your skills, the track, and especially the other riders in your group, take the duc out for a session or two. Keith Code says the most improvement in rider skill comes when riding at not more than 80%. While it's true that wont be up to your full potential on the new bike in a few weeks, it's also true that if you ride within your limits on the track it is an excellent opportunity to learn what the bike can do, without binning it...
That said, don't take it on the track if you're not willing to live with the possibility that you could go down for one reason or another

·
Registered
443 Posts
You will not likely utilize half the potential the SV has at the track as it will be your first track day. You are familiar with it and replacement parts (knock on wood) are much cheaper and more readily available versus the duc. There's a reason the sv650 is such a popular track/race bike. I've had 2 track-only SVs. You will have a blast on the SV, but make sure you've got good tires with lots of grip left. I'll bet you can get some help setting up your suspension while there too. Good luck!

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Old friend: "Hey buddy, isn't your new bike missing a fairing?"

:D
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the imput gents! The SV has almost new Pilot Power Pures, Race Tech fork spring setup for my weight and a ZX10 shock. It also has sliders should I do something stupid....I like the idea of riding the SV and later in the day maybe taking the Monster out for a session, but if I like the track day as much as I think I will, I may end up converting the SV to a track only bike anyway. The biggest problem I have with the SV(and maybe the Duc) is that I have had a total knee replacement on my right knee and I have trouble getting the ball of my foot up on the peg. Sometimes I have to lift my right foot off the peg to prevent dragging my boot in right handers....I guess I'll have to see how that works out on the track.

·
Registered
443 Posts
how'd the track day go? Pics?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts