Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My son has an '07 SV650S ABS. The only powertrain mod is a Leo Vince titanium slip-on without the DB Killer. He claims to be regularly getting 60 mpg or better. A few weeks ago, we rode up to Mount Mitchell and hit some of the fun roads in the area. After returning home, he refueled and he said he got 69 mpg on that tank.

The few times I've ridden the bike, it seems to run great. His fuel mileage seems high to me. Does it seem normal to you guys? I'm just worried that it is too lean but I don't feel or hear anything to back that up.

Am I just paranoid? Well, I am paranoid...does it sound like we have anything to be concerned about with the SV?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I've never gotten more than 52mpg on my 03 with a k&n filter and yoshi rs3 slip on. Mid-upper 60's seems too good to be true but if the math adds up and the bike feels good then go with it.

·
Registered
996 Posts
If I baby my 06N, follow highway speed limits, and stay away from curves and in town riding, I've gotten low to mid 60's. But usually I'm getting closer to 30-40mpg :D

Maybe take his bike for a day or two to do your own hypothesis testing. He is doing the math correctly, right?

·
Registered
172 Posts
That seems really high. Average is around 45, great is around 55-60. As long as it's not giving any trouble just go with it. Otherwise I'd check how he's refilling and calculating mpg. Maybe even check the odometer on a road of known distance.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He just finished his junior year in college and made the Dean's List this past semester(a dad has to brag, sorry) so I hope he can do the math.

He was trying not to run off and leave me and my Guzzi that day so I was probably slowing him down some. I was bragging to him about getting 50 mpg that day when he gave me the 69 mpg figure.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I had to throw it out there, one can never be too sure about anything on the internets these days ;)

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Double check his math. 69mpg is pretty high, but who knows his riding style.

Myself, I get low to mid 40's, highest I've gotten was 46ish, but my riding style tends to do that a little bit.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Check the plugs for color. Get up to speed and then pull in the clutch, kill the motor and coast into a parking lot. Pull a plug and see if its a good tan color. If so, he's good to go. If it's white looking, he's lean

Sent from my MB860 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I routinely get in the 60s on my '08. The power train is bone stock, I have close to 30k on the bike, and it has been tuned and valves done with no real change in mileage. I have hot 70 twice, both times in states other than mine, so I believe it was less ethanol that got me there.
The high mileage is at lower speeds, say 60 mph or less. Spirited riding puts me right about at 60 mpg, maybe slightly below. My riding style tends to keep the revs down, I do;t race from every stop sign. An interesting comparison though is that I had a Ninja 250 for commuting, I sold it when I found I was getting better mileage on the SV.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Perhaps a closer inspection of his math skills?

But I don't think that kind of mileage is unheard of with longer trips and highway riding.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
If its a Calculation error, I would guess its a difference between what 'full' is between tanks rather than simple math. Filled on the side stand vs. filled with the bike straight up maybe.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
There's another thread about mileage here and if I remember correctly, peeps with the newer bikes were getting high mileage. I figured it was because they have dual ignition whereas 03-06 is single. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

For my 04, city/hwy i get 43-46 regularly and I like to get up to speed asap most of the time. In the hills/twisties, I normally get about 51-53. How much does your son weigh? If he's light, that might improve the mileage as well. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
IIRC, filling the tank with the bike on either stand makes little difference in how much fuel is in the tank. The most important point is to make sure that the tank is filled to the same point every time. I typically get mid-50s to about 60 mpg on my SV650AK7 and the lower 50s on my DL650K7.

·
Super Moderator
8,913 Posts
The 07+ SVs get better mpg than earlier years. Full fairing, better than naked.

Under conditions like Barry said, all highway, 60 mph or less, 6th gear, wind at your back (headwind kills mpg, even moderate) you can just hit 70 mpg.

There is no way he got 69 mpg on mountain roads working the gears. Might be
- tank to tank fill error as nuc suggested
- a very long mountain, all down hill :p
- or, he is BSing you Dad, lol!

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
It's hard to calculate accurately over a single tank of gas. In early spring and late fall when the weather is cooler I tend to get low-mid 50s for mpg. In the summer, I tend to get low-mid 60s for mpg.

I, too, have calculated 69-70 mpg on a single tank once before. I was riding about 50mph in 6th almost the entire tank in 80 degree weather.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've been getting 60-70mpg no problem. I live at a high altitude.

Sent from my SGH-I777

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
both my SV's [05,08] typically would get high 50's all the time!! most ever on the 05 was 59, least was 22 at Putnam!!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I'd check that the the odometer isn't reading in Kilometers instead of Miles. 40 miles per gallon is roughly equal to 64 kilometers per gallon using this basic check:

60 miles / 1.5 gallons = 40 MPG
95 kilometers / 1.5 gallons = 64 MPG

Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts