Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pair of Sidi Strada boots, and this is my first riding season with them so they're still pretty new but definatley broken in. They fit fine until last weekend when I rode over to my father in laws place to help him build a deck. I took off all my gear and just left it next to the bike in the driveway, high was about 90 and sunny and it was in the sun for about 2 hours, before I moved it in the house. When I went to leave my boots fit very tightly in the toe area. I figured that my feet were just swollen, but nope...they fit the same way the next time I put them on.

They are only really tight in the toe area where the hard plastic is. It's almost like the plastic in the toe melted and sagged a little bit. How do these things survive in AZ if they do this in MN? It doesn't really feel like that piece is easily replacable, so I'm not sure what to do now. Has anyone else had this happen? Any ideas on how to fix it? Put it back out in the hot sun upside down so it melts back the normal way??? I'm stumped... :-\

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Put the boots on, and then proceed to heat up the toe area with a heat gun. Not to the point of melting it further, but just enough to soften it up a little. Work your toes around in the boot until it feels comfy again.

Will it work? I have no idea, but I might try it if I was in your, umm, shoes. ;D

I've never heard of this happening, but you can be sure I won't leave my Sidis out in the sun for a long period of time now!

·
Registered
26 Posts
WTF? If I buy a pair of boots any time soon, I'm definitely not buying SIDI. That's ridiculous! There's no reason they should do that! You should call SIDI and tell them about this. I doubt they'll do anything, but who knows, maybe they'll replace your boots.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hmmm not too sure about that.. I left my sidi stradas out side the other day when I was replacing my brake fluid and they were fine... Do they look melted or anything stretched in the plastic (i.e. logo or what not)

·
Registered
101 Posts
there's no way they should melt like that. If that were the case, a get off and sliding them on the ground would result in massive meltdown of the shell. I've got more faith in Sidi's than that. Not that I have any other explaniation, but something else has to be going on...

·
Registered
359 Posts
ebbtide said:
there's no way they should melt like that. If that were the case, a get off and sliding them on the ground would result in massive meltdown of the shell. I've got more faith in Sidi's than that.  Not that I have any other explaniation, but something else has to be going on...
Random out of place growth spirt!! - I love my sidi MC boots as well as my many sidi bicycle shoes!!

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
What kind of driveway? It it's asphalt then the surface temperatures can rise much higher in the sun than would be the case with cement. New asphalt is the worst. Could it get hot enough to melt boots? Don't know. I'd report it to Sidi.

Footwear on your feet in sunlight won't heat up like footwear left in the sun. Your foot provides cooling by the circulation of blood. Moving your foot and ankle pump air in and out. Different thermodynamic case.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It isn't the outer shell of the boot that appears to have melted. Its the hard toe shield on the inside of the boot. It was left on a cement driveway (not blacktop), and unless this growth spurt happened in less than 6 hours something happened to the boot. I still think it's a good boot, don't think I'm knocking Sidi (because I'm not). I'm sure it's just one of those weird one in a million things.

I called Sidi (well Motonation since they are the US distributor). They said to send in the boot and they will look at them, but they estimate it's a 3 week turnaround from when I send them the boots until I have them back. I don't have anyother pair or riding boots (just Doc Martens), so I'll probably just deal with it until winter and send them in to have them look at them then. The only thing I'm unsure of is that I don't know if the boot has changed enough for them to be able to notice that theres anything wrong. We'll see...

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
If there is anything wrong with them they should replace them... I do believe that SIDI has a lifetime warranty on their boots. That is if it is anything they can find.

Woody

·
Registered
283 Posts
Definitely get ahold of Sidi on this or take them to where you bought them and explain the problem.

I've never heard of this and it sounds like no one else has either, but, as one said, if it can't take some sun how could it take a getoff?

·
Registered
167 Posts
UPDATE - Well I finally sent the boots into Motonation/Sidi after wearing them for the rest of the riding season. They say that there was a defect in the toe cup, and they WILL be covered under warranty, and replaced with a new pair of boots. They are on backorder, but no biggie since it's winter anyway. So I have to give a big thumbs up to Sidi for standing behind their product. Oh, and since I bought them used off ebay it was nice that they didn't ask for a receipt, sale date...nothing.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
haseltonk said:
UPDATE - Well I finally sent the boots into Motonation/Sidi after wearing them for the rest of the riding season. They say that there was a defect in the toe cup, and they WILL be covered under warranty, and replaced with a new pair of boots. They are on backorder, but no biggie since it's winter anyway. So I have to give a big thumbs up to Sidi for standing behind their product. Oh, and since I bought them used off ebay it was nice that they didn't ask for a receipt, sale date...nothing.

:eek:. That's customer service... With a warranty and service like that, seems like the Sidi's really are worth a little extra cost...

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Heck, maybe someone in the neihborhood swapped them out (for size), heat should make plastic expand, not shrink, glad you got them covered either way.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts