Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:angry1:

Aloha, I'm having some issues with my 02' SV650S. Bike only has around 3k miles so I'm sure at some point at sat for a while.

Issues:
Bike runs like a champ until I try and go over 65 miles an hour or up a hill at 65 or higher. On my way to work at the same place everyday I start to lose a cyclinder while going up a hill on the freeway at 65mph. As long as I'm really carefull with the throttle I can keep the second cylinder alive for a little while, but the minute I slow down below 60MPH I lose a cylinder. It tries to come back to life from time to time making for a very jerky motorcycle ride. Eventually I'm 100% on one cylinder. Then a few hours later when I start it up again, everything works fine again.

What I've done:
Replaced fuel hoses, replaced leaky fuel petcock, seafoamed carbs, removed carbs and soaked in carb solvent. The bike seems much more ferocious from 0-65 since I've done these repairs, but it's still dying on me at high speeds.

Should I?
Should I buy a new carb online and replace mine, hoping that it's the carbs
SHould I take it to a dealership and have them fix it for some ungodly costs
Should I buy a carb rebuild kit and replace all the seals? If so where?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
check to see if the vacuum from the airbox is sucking the foam from the underside of the gas tank and restricting thae intake

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Check carb synch, although that isn't a likely source of the problem, just a possibility.

If it sat up for any length of time (3K miles says yes) you should check the sock filter in the tank. Might be clogged.

When you cleaned the carbs did you wire and blow out every small passage? Could be a problem on a high speed circuit.

Did you verify the float levels? Again, not a big chance of this being the problem, but it could be if one of the floats is too high.

Down to the really simple stuff, have you changed out the plugs?

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Is the bike jetted? Did you jet it? My 02 did this when it was jetted too heavy and it was dumping too much fuel into the cyliders and fouling the plugs

·
Registered
142 Posts
How do the spark plugs look? I bet they are fouled out, get some new ones, gap them and put them in. This will probably clear up your issue.

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
I had a similar issue last summer. It'd start and run fine but once it was warmed up for a while it'd start dropping a cylinder. Turned out it was a bad connection between the coil and wire (which aren't supposed to be seperate). I bought a used coil/plug wire off of ebay and it's been good ever since. Might not be your problem, but it's another thing to look at if the cheaper stuff doesn't help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How do the spark plugs look? I bet they are fouled out, get some new ones, gap them and put them in. This will probably clear up your issue.
Replaced spark plugs twice now in the past two months, so hoping that would fix it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts