Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, Sold my bike a few months back. No problems no worries so I know this shouldn't bother me that much.

I had sold the entire front end in anticipation of doing the gsxr swap, but never got around to it and sold the bike as is.

I just saw that the same guy who bought the bike is now selling it (fully complete with gsxr front end now) but is saying "original owner" which means he is handing over a title with my name on it. AND he is lying in the ad about the mileage by several thousands of miles.

My question, would you call him out on it? Would you post an ad warning buyers that he isnt telling the truth? (mainly about the mileage really) Or would you just let it be and not worry about it because you sold it its not your problem?

(keep in mind before chewing my ass out, I haven't done anything. Just curious what every ones else would do.)

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
If he bought the bike from you, didn't you fill out the back of the orig.(your) title with his and your info and the actual mileage, date and sale price and sign? How can he use that title again to sell to another? Are you saying that you left the title totally blank for the buyer to fill out? Doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Are you sure it's not the same guy selling a different bike?
If it is your old bike, and you think he's representing that he is YOU, that gets personal. In that case, what's gonna happen if the new buyer wants to come after someone about misrepresentation of the bike? Or a stolen deposit, etc? I wouldn't let it lie, personally...but I would make sure there is misrepresentation going on first...perhaps by having a friend inquire about the bike for sale, for example.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Is it possible that he had 2 bikes and used yours for parts? The title is only "attached" to the frame, so it is possible he had an original frame and just used parts from your bike.

Personally I would let it go, if you don't know 100% that it is in fact your old bike (matching vin#) and you go on presumably craigslist and start hanging this man from the gallows, only to find out he used you bike for parts, you would look pretty damn stupid.

·
Registered
569 Posts
If he bought the bike from you, didn't you fill out the back of the orig.(your) title with his and your info and the actual mileage, date and sale price and sign? How can he use that title again to sell to another? Are you saying that you left the title totally blank for the buyer to fill out? Doesn't make sense to me.
+1

I'd definately contact him for a clarification on the title. Regarding lying about the miles, doesn't the odo show the actual miles?

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
I had something similar happen to me. Sold my 04 to someone. Then about a year later I see it back on Craigslist. It had been repainted and they lied about it never being down. I was furious too but in the end let it go as it wasn't anything major (The worst thing for the buyer was that the dent in the tank not being repaired right).

If you filled out the title right? And you notified the DMV that your sold it? If so don't worry, even if he is cheating all signs will point to him. If you didn't do all this, I would contact him and get the needed info to correct the paper work. If nothing else to protect yourself.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
If you are unsure just contact him as a potential buyer and check the vin in person.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Contacted him as a buyer, he is going to send more pictures and I asked for the VIN to run a status check on it. I'll be finding out tonight

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I spoke with the DMV for specific advice, and will be contacting the seller as myself. As the person who sold him the bike, to fill out a proper bill of sale (will never again not get a bill of sale)

All in all I just want to be free and clear. What he is doing is considered illegal but its not my problem, im not getting into his business. I just want to make sure that the next owner doesnt look at the title and go "Hey i'll contact this guy for problems" when its in fact been owned by someone else

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Your fault, you should have made a bill of sale and had him fill out his information right in front of you. I like Florida titles, the second the seller fills out his info and the buyer does the same, you detach a piece of paper to send to the Florida DMV stating "I am not responsible for this bike anymore if no one re-registers it after the date signed by the buyer".

I sold a car to a scumbag who never registered it, a year later I got a call from an impound that I owed them $3k and another call from a building owner that I owed them a few grand in damages, that same idiot buyer crashed the car I sold him INTO A BUILDING and left it. So the last registered owner was... ME. I showed them a copy of the piece of paper I sent the DMV, the DMV in Florida confirmed they received it and I was not liable for anything.

Be careful out there guys...

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
If you signed and dated the title and wrote down the odometer miles, even if he didn't write down his info, he cannot use that title to resale the bike. An extra bill of sale is fine, but not necessary if you sign and date the title. He would have a difficult time convincing someone that he was you. Just how I see it. Good luck and let us know the final outcome.

I do agree with Domiken's situation, that if the buyer doesn't register or re-title the vehicle, then the last person on record would be the seller and responsible for the above situation. Having proof of sale then is very important. But, in the OP's case, since the new buyer is trying to flip the bike, I can't see them being able to reuse the title. They would have to lie about their name and address or say they moved, lie about predating and signing the title and mileage, etc.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Very important to fill out the title and bill of sale completely before handing over the bike. Also to CYA you would want to make sure he fills out his info and the date...kinda most important thing to cover your ass from liability

in flordia it sounds lke they got it handled right. Here in texas you have to get an additional piece of paper that is not on the title if im not mistaken, and send a copy of the bill of sale with it to detach your name from the automobile

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree, completely my fault. I'm not arguing that one haha. Definitely won't be making that mistake again trust me.

Thanks for all the input

Hoping he goes along with signing the bill of sale that way im clear.

So do you guys think I should call him out on it? Advising buyers that he's lying about the mileage by about 6k

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Did he replace the gauges with the GSXR swap? Is that how he can claim the lower mileage? Personally, get your bill of sale and move on.

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
It says there is a vapor guage. Is it even possible to set the odometer with a zapor guage? I always wondered that.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hoping he goes along with signing the bill of sale that way im clear.

So do you guys think I should call him out on it? Advising buyers that he's lying about the mileage by about 6k
I'm guessing title transfers in WI must not require a notary? Get a bill of sale and have it notarized. If he doesn't want to play ball, tell him you have no choice but to report the bike as stolen.

What he's doing is illegal and immoral. But I'm with you're original idea on not getting into the middle of it. You sold it without an odometer (if I understand correctly), and I'm guessing didn't fill in the mileage or check the odometer discrepancy on the title. You could go and make a post about it, but it's your word vs his. Get the bill of sale taken care of and be done with it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts