Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what say ye? Yay or nay? I can't afford a ktm SMC, this seems like the poor mans version. I have read nothing but praises about the bike and the engine. It's heavy for dirt bike standards, but light as a feather for street bike standards. I know there are a few owners here on this board, any advice?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I was going to convert an older 620sx, but figured I would have 3000-3500 in it by the time I had it converted, and that is without electric start on a 10 year old bike. Thats why I sold that and bought an SMC instead, there is no cheap way to convert, so do yourself a favor and buy one already done up. With the SMC you would get suspension set up for supermoto as well as brakes and gearing. Most fun on 2 wheels you will have, but I would make sure you have 2 bikes, SM's are not well rounded bikes.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
I don't know about where you live, but getting a dirt bike registered for the street can be a pain. XRR's are off-road only bikes until you convert them. Plus being kick only has it's downfalls on the street in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I don't know about where you live, but getting a dirt bike registered for the street can be a pain. XRR's are off-road only bikes until you convert them. Plus being kick only has it's downfalls on the street in my opinion.
See link above.

·
Registered
974 Posts
In Iowa there is no way to convert a dirt only to street. Dual sport is only option. I have tried and very unsuccessful. I changed one of the rules at the courthouse after registering a chinese dual sport. They no longer accept new bikes not sold from a dealer. Point of origination no longer accepted. I was the first and the last. Took me about 2 months.

then I sold it before it crapped out.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the X650L is a totally different bike though, steel frame and different engine.

·
Registered
796 Posts
what say ye? Yay or nay? I can't afford a ktm SMC, this seems like the poor mans version. I have read nothing but praises about the bike and the engine. It's heavy for dirt bike standards, but light as a feather for street bike standards. I know there are a few owners here on this board, any advice?
there are many ktm 625 smc's for $4-5K.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
that price is a little off, I can get the xr650r for about 3500, plus another 1k for sumo rims and brakes. If I bought the SMC I would buy dirt rims and knobbies anyways.

I want the lc4 690 smc, not the older 625. Plus they are kinda rare here so I would have to buy new. Plus maintenance/parts on it would be like owning a ducati.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts