Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After selling my beater of a GS500 back to the previous owner, I couldn't resist the urge. Say hello to my pre-owned 2004 Ninja 250.

So far in 23 miles I have

- popped 0 wheelies
- gotten a thumbs-up from some random cager
- dropped it zero times
- laughed out loud inside my helmet 1 time (for dubious reasons)
- tucked in like Joe Racer 0 times
- taken 1 set of SEXAY pics. Enjoy!

For those who care, don't worry, I'll stick around SVRider (uh, at least until I decide whether or not to keep it when I finally buy a CBR600RR...)

For those who don't, suck my Ninja!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not just a parody, I did pick it up just two days ago. I figure it's got TWO exhaust pipes so it should have twice the power of the SV, right? :oops:

Seriously though, since my next major bike purchase will be a fully faired supersport, I thought it would be nice to get comfortable with a cheapie faired bike. (It was a little disorienting at first to turn and not have the headlight, gauges, mirrors turn with me.) Plus it gets good mileage and it's liquid cooled (and has a radiator fan) so it shouldn't have a problem with overheating... Plus it's so anemic that it will keep me out of trouble. I can save the SV for weekends and trackdays.

AND unlike the GS, converting it to the GP shift pattern was just as easy as with the SV.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I were at a rally / trackday it would be nice to have as a spare bike. Of course, I'd have to buy and install another chock on my trailer... But I ain't going to any rally anytime soon. My co-worker is gonna drop a baby any minute now, leaving me the only IT person in the office so time off is kinda off the table for the next couple months.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Go gump!! 8) Wring it's little neck! :lol:

·
Registered
283 Posts
I agree. By all accounts you should be able to go ape-shix on that thing.

How's the comparison between the rideability of the Ninja vs. the SV?

what does each do well?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"Wring it's neck!"

LOL... How does it compare? I'll have to take it out to the hill country this weekend to see how it fares in the twisties. The bike surprised me on the way to work today. I was pulling away from a light, ran it up to redline in first gear, then put it 2nd with the throttle WFO and the front end actually got a little light for a split second. I understand that gearing changes are a popular way to give this bike a little more power off the line. Top end loss isn't a big deal to me, since I don't see myself needing to push it to 105...

·
Registered
836 Posts
I love ninja250's. I'd love to own one...they're so light and non threatening and fun.

I think it's great too just how cheap parts are for them and readily available as well.

I wouldn't mind having a 250ninja as well...I'd love a redisign of them too...but then, parts and availability would go down.

Just needs another rotor.

·
Hall Monitor
2,738 Posts
+1 on the neck wringing. I had a 250 Ninja when they first came out, they'll teach you (and a lot of guys on bigger, more powerful bikes) a few good lessons in cornering speed.

Really a clean bike you've got there. But a perverse part of me says "Paint the whole thing silver (including the windshield) and put Ducati Paso stickers on it!"

Bill

·
Registered
130 Posts
Congrats! Those are really sweet, underestimated bikes. I still wish I had mine. If I had known what stiffer springs and good tires would have done to that bike I wouldn't have sold it. Seriously upgrade the suspension. It is worse than the SV's. The springs are like .45 when most people probably need .75 or higher. Throw an EX500 shock on the rear to give you preload adjustment and a little stiffer ride. Some sticker tires are a must, and then you have a great light bike.

I'd also recommend a +1 front sprocket. You won't notice a decrease in acceleration, but it does lower the cruising RPMs a tad so you aren't sitting at 9 grand getting your hands vibrated off the bars on the highway.

Here are my babies:

Here's Jim Race racing the 250:

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the bike, I use the same name on The Ninja 250 Board

·
Registered
266 Posts
Oh man you're screwed,... now you bought a 250 and won't ever look at those heavy ssad big bikes the same way again :twisted:

Have fun on it, it's almost impossible not to :twisted:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ben_JamminVFCC said:
:lol: :lol:

It took two looks to realize that Gump had parodied my pictures as well!

Ha!

:D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:)

·
Registered
313 Posts
gumpish said:
Seriously though, since my next major bike purchase will be a fully faired supersport, I thought it would be nice to get comfortable with a cheapie faired bike. (It was a little disorienting at first to turn and not have the headlight, gauges, mirrors turn with me.)
Was helping a friend (noob rider, 1st bike) fix up a ninja 500 that he had bought for next to nothing, having never owned a bike with a fairing or done slow speed manuvers with those i've ridden, it was downright unnerving riding without everything moving in front :shock: The standard pattern shifter had me a couple times as well :oops: insanely easy and fun bike to ride.

Congrats :p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts