Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

81 - 100 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
BF,

Sorry I missed your questions before.

The CAD software I used for that model was Alias Studiotools, but I now use Solidworks to do all the engineering elements of the design work.

Inspiration from the frame came from whats already out there and been proven and whats best fits around the SV package. I have a fair bit of experience with steel frame manufacture of bicycle frames and vintage Norton motorcycles and would like to think I've developed a sound knowledge of good practice. If you study the chassis design carefully you should be able to clearly see elements of Ducati and KTM RC8. There has been no structural analysis performed. If i knew how, then maybe I would have. Its just a case of build it well and see how it goes out on track.

Arron

·
Registered
150 Posts
The frame looks very similar to a guy from the UK who had it built by Tigcraft, but instead of having fairing like you he has replica rs250 fairings from when Pedrosa was racing in the 250 gps. So impressed with this build, its perfect!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Hello everyone, thanks for all the positive comments.

I have a few technical questions Id like to know the answers too before I finally commit to making the first prototype frame.

My intentions are to have the frame compatible with both the Curvy and Pointy engines and as such I would like to make it compatible with either swingarm setup, though I do intend on making my own at some point.

My questions are as follows:

1, What size is the thread in the swingarm boss on the frame which the swingarm pivot threads into? I've read it as M28x?, but M27x1.5 seems to be the standard size tap to buy?

2, I know the pointy swingarm pivot is slightly wider then the curvy, but could someone provide me with an accurate measurement between a, swingarm bosses either side on the frame and b, the width of the swingarm pivot on the swingarm (with any dust seals etc) and I am also presuming the swingarm axles on the pointy and curvy and both the same diameter and thread sizes?

Thanks everyone for your help!

Arron

·
The Well-Leathered Mod
4,614 Posts
Hello everyone, thanks for all the positive comments.

I have a few technical questions Id like to know the answers too before I finally commit to making the first prototype frame.

My intentions are to have the frame compatible with both the Curvy and Pointy engines and as such I would like to make it compatible with either swingarm setup, though I do intend on making my own at some point.

My questions are as follows:

1, What size is the thread in the swingarm boss on the frame which the swingarm pivot threads into? I've read it as M28x?, but M27x1.5 seems to be the standard size tap to buy?

2, I know the pointy swingarm pivot is slightly wider then the curvy, but could someone provide me with an accurate measurement between a, swingarm bosses either side on the frame and b, the width of the swingarm pivot on the swingarm (with any dust seals etc) and I am also presuming the swingarm axles on the pointy and curvy and both the same diameter and thread sizes?

Thanks everyone for your help!

Arron
I dont have measurements either, but my personal opinion is skip the SV swingarm and put something on there from a GSXR, R6, etc.
The SV swingarm is not only visually disappointing, but in need of additional braces and stuff to keep them from flexing as well (usually only done by racers and places like TWF cause we mortals dont know the difference).

I say a standard R6 swingarm would be cheap and plentiful, as well as look 100x better.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Interesting, I see you mentioned the CAD programs you had used to design the frame, did you use any programs to analyze the rigidity and whatnot?

·
Registered
731 Posts
I believe that solidworks has a plugin for that, IIRC
I know, but from what I understand it's pretty limited. I've been doing FEA in Abaqus and NX lately, so I was just curious.

But now that I've gone back and reread the last page, I see it's mentioned that no structural analysis was done. It'll be interesting to read how the bike's handling compares to a SV framed bike.. Is the new one lighter?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Todge,

I just want to say that I really respect what you are doing. I especially respect the fact that you have resisted the urge to respond to everyone's opinions about what they would like to see you do. I think it's great that you are going to stick true to your own vision on this project. I am excited to see the final results and updates along the way.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
I have the answers to the questions I needed now, so thanks go out to Graham for that (dont know if he is on here?). Im sure there will be more to come.

With regard to CAD and FEA, Solidworks does have a simulator which I do use to get a general idea of how stuff performs, but dont rely on it too much. There is no FEA performed on the frame design because I prefere to use my expereince and knowledge of what is good design practice/been tried before. In my opinion even a half-decent frame design will only be as strong as the weakest welded joint so its more important to ensure the final product is to the highest standard.

As for the weight of the frame, I know the mock-up was about 2kg lighter then standard and the frame Im now building has thinner gauge material, so should come in even lighter then that. Id also imagine it would be considerably stiffer due to the steel trellis structure.

Any more questions/thoughts, let me know!

Arron

81 - 100 of 165 Posts