Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my little SV project that Ive been working on for a while now. I think some of you probably know about it / have seen it come up on my facebook page, but I uploaded it to another forum so I thought I'd also show you guys.

I've been at it for a while now, but its at a stage where it looks like a proper bike and it was wheeled out of the workshop for a few photos earlier today.

So the general idea is take a SV650 as a donor bike, use the great little engine and some of its components, and re-style it into a much more compact, desirable sports bike. Along the way, make some improvements to the performance and handling to make the bike as complete and enjoyable to ride as possible.

First stage, get some ideas down on paper. Quite a lot of sketches later and there was a clear direction to take the design forward.

With the sketch stage in process, it was time to get hold of an SV and take some of the critical dimensions. From this, a mock-up of the chassis design could be worked on using CAD. Note the design of a rear swingarm at this stage, something that has since been dropped.

With the chassis designed, a mock-up needed to be made to fit the engine.

The next stage was to build up the rolling chassis with the new frame and subframe, ready to prepare the bike for clay modeling.

Some months later, the bike finally emerges from the workshop for a few photos.

With the clay modeling process finished, the majority of the design work is complete and its time to start taking some fibreglass molds to make the bodywork.

Its still a long way from completion, but its now possible to get a good idea of what the finished bike will look like.

Theres a lot more detail about the project to date and other stuff Im working on, on my blog http://moto-rdesign.blogspot.com

Arron

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Good lord, that will look stellar once it's done.
I will definitely stay tuned to this one.

Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How does the weight/stiffness of your frame compare to the stock Suzuki?
Thanks for all the comments guys! Im happy to see the SV faithful approve of the re-working.

The weight of the final chassis should be around 7-8 kg mark. Ill be using Reynolds 631 tubing which is 18swg (around 1.2mm thick). Very strong yet very light. Stiffness will have to wait until its taken out on track, though I expect it will be considerably stiffer due to the steel trellis design.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Wow.. that's pretty epic. Its honestly all the more awesome to see the soul of a bike that is so well loved by many go into something so radically designed.

·
Registered
496 Posts
That is *amazing*. I *really* hope you post a *very* detailed how-to on how to do some of that stuff. I'd love to be able to know how to fabricate custom frames and bodywork like that.

Where are you located?

That bike is *exactly* what I want- a lightweight 650 twin engine that actually looks like a rockin' bike instead of a cheap budget wanna-be.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
Really beautiful creation. I'm assuming you work in the automotive / motorcycle industry designing and such.

Is this going to be a one-off or is there future plans to sell them?

Also I would bet if you built that body work around the SV mounting points you could sell it as a kit.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
From your nicely executed drawing I thought I was looking at a Triumph Sprint with the "triple" motif lenses. You obvioulsy know what you're doing and like the others, I await the final product. Alittle naive of some to think that you could enuciate the process here in a single posting.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Awesome work, and yes, so much nicer than a Hyosung..ahem..I mean Fischer!:D

Also with the almost certain nominations this bike will recieve, it will be interesting to test the administrative borders of SV of the Year competition, how much of the SV has to be used to constitute an SV?

1 - 20 of 165 Posts