Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently read an article in the Columbus Dispatch about a big Scooter rally Downtown. The events organizer really pissed me off because he said scooters dont have the "noise or menace of motorcycles". I decided to write a letter to the editor, and it got in. I basically am defending the modern motorcycling community from stereotypes that we are all ruff looking Hell's Angels terrorizing the highways. Hope link works.
http://www.columbusdispatch.com/edi...spatch/2005/10/07/20051007-A10-06.html&chck=t

Ed: That last line I threw in because one scooter owner said his scooter can go 65 but "shakes really bad" at 50.

Sorry for the link. Heres the cut'n'pasted article

Some have inaccurate view of cycles, scooters
Friday, October 07, 2005

I respond to the Sept. 18 Dispatch article "Scooter riders buzzed by charm of their vehicles." As a new member of the motorcycling community, I was particularly offended by the comments of the events? organizer, Eric Martineau.

He claimed that scooters "don?t have the menace or noise of motorcycles." His statements display the ignorant and stereotypical views that are rampant among the public. First, I?d like to respond to the "menace" of motorcycles. If Martineau knew anything about the modern motorcycling community, he would know that it is composed of different types of bikes, people and lifestyles.

Not every one of us is a Hell?s Angel.

And to respond to the "noise" of motorcycles, he obviously hasn?t heard a BMW or Honda Gold Wing. Modern motorcycles, including Harleys, are quieter than they?ve ever been.

It was just a typical example of an uneducated person generalizing about motorcycles. Oh, and my bike gets 50 mpg and goes above 50 mph.

JEFF GROOM
Columbus

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
I don't know why you got agitated. The fact is that a large majority of motorcycles (at least where I live) are loud and are ridden "imprudently". How many people on this very sight install louder exhausts as their firs "must-have" modification?

I was at a restaurant one Sunday morning out on a solo ride. I had some coffee and a piece of pie as a snack and was getting ready to leave. I was geared up and went to start my bike. There was a family getting into their car with a baby and two little boys (guessing one 5 and one 3). As I hit the starter one of the little boys jumped back and put his hands over his ears. He really was wide-eyed and frightened. As my bike started the mother said, "That bike sounds nice. (Looking at her husband) I wouldn't mind if you had one like that". True story.

When the first reaction of children is fright it's in their world view that motorcycles are loud and menacing.

·
Hall Monitor
2,762 Posts
andyauger said:
How many people on this very sight install louder exhausts as their firs "must-have" modification?
True. But there's a difference between, say, an SV with a glasspacked slip-on and a Harley with straight pipes. While both make more noise than stock, there's a world of difference in volume and, arguably, perception.

I live across the street from a church that sponsors some sort of "Bikers for Jesus" group. And while I'm sure they do a lot of wonderful stuff (toy runs for orphans, serving dinner at the homeless shelter, etc) they can be, well, really annoying. Because almost every one of them rides a Harely with straight pipes. They fire up their bikes (parked along the curb, pipes facing away from my house) and warm them up by sitting around throttle blipping for a few minutes. The racket that results is loud enough that I can't hear my TV or stereo while sitting in my house with my (dual-paned) windows shut. That, my friends, is loud. Obnoxiously loud.

By way of comparative experiement, one night I parked my SV across the street with the exhaust facing toward my house. With the bike idling I couldn't even hear it when I was sitting on my front porch (I'm running a 2Bros carbon fiber canister). Had my wife go across the street and rev the bike. It didn't sound any worse, volume-wise, than a lawn mower.

I was at a restaurant one Sunday morning out on a solo ride.  I had some coffee and a piece of pie as a snack and was getting ready to leave.  I was geared up and went to start my bike.  There was a family getting into their car with a baby and two little boys (guessing one 5 and one 3).  As I hit the starter one of the little boys jumped back and put his hands over his ears.  He really was wide-eyed and frightened.  As my bike started the mother said, "That bike sounds nice.  (Looking at her husband) I wouldn't mind if you had one like that".  True story.

When the first reaction of children is fright it's in their world view that motorcycles are loud and menacing.
I'm guessing daddy has a straight-piped Harley at home. ;D And mommy is tired of listening to it. I mean, if the kid knows to cover his ears when he hears a starter cranking, there's something Pavlovian going on.

Fortunately, most of the kids I see when I'm riding are apparently fascinated with motorcycles. I make a point of waving to 'em. Might make a few converts, or upset some uptight, prejudiced parents.

Bill

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
bmetz99 said:
...Fortunately, most of the kids I see when I'm riding are apparently fascinated with motorcycles.  I make a point of waving to 'em.  Might make a few converts, or upset some uptight, prejudiced parents.

Bill
That gave me a big smile.  Not sure which part of the last sentance is more true tho.  ;D

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Ever since I put my M4 full system on I always worry that my bike is now too loud for my complex. But after asking several of my neighbors I'm convinced that its not. They all think it sounds good and is not loud. One said that its much less noisy that "those damn Harleys" and another said he didn't even know that I had a bike until I asked him about it. ;)

BTW, I hear far more obnoxiously loud Mustangs, Camaros, and Civics than any kind of motorcycle around here.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
I own both a SV (my second!) and a 150cc scooter... I also owned a Vespa 90 until recently...

I agree with motorcycles being loud and menacing as a stereotype. Not all bikes are loud and not all riders are menacing but many are, just as some scooters are loud and some scooterists menacing ;)
I'm not sure how he meant menacing anyway but it could have been in context of the machine and not the riders, if you've ever ridden a scooter than you'd quickly realize that they're not intimidating at all and a very comfortable. A scooter is the opposite of a motorcycle in regards to the machinery. Where as a motorcycle flaunts it's large, metallic components a scooter is completely housed in curvey plastic/sheet metal and shows *no* signs of any machinery. With there big comfy seats and feet-forward riding style they're about as cozy as you can get. Scooters are usually extremely quiet as well.

G

·
donniej said:
I own both a SV (my second!) and a 150cc scooter... I also owned a Vespa 90 until recently...

I agree with motorcycles being loud and menacing as a stereotype.  Not all bikes are loud and not all riders are menacing but many are, just as some scooters are loud and some scooterists menacing  ;)
Ah yes, the dreaded scooter menace. We had an infestation in Mesa, AZ back in '98. The county sprayed for 'em and aside from seeing one or two buzzing around, they haven't been a problem.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah yes, the dreaded scooter menace. We had an infestation in Mesa, AZ back in '98. The county sprayed for 'em and aside from seeing one or two buzzing around, they haven't been a problem.
LMAO. Yeah even with my Holeshot the bike is fairly quiet. Its only loud when the engine spools quickly.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
toddpnewton said:
Wonder if I could talk the county into spraying for Ricers. It's getting to be epidemic-level in my area. We're over run with Civics, Neons and Acura Integras that sound like leaf blowers

G

·
MagpieTear said:
Wonder if I could talk the county into spraying for Ricers. It's getting to be epidemic-level in my area. We're over run with Civics, Neons and Acura Integras that sound like leaf blowers
They mutate too fast.

·
Hall Monitor
2,762 Posts
donniej said:
  ...Not all bikes are loud and not all riders are menacing but many are, just as some scooters are loud and some scooterists menacing  ;)
I give you.... the Bombardment Society!

Where as a motorcycle flaunts it's large, metallic components a scooter is completely housed in curvey plastic/sheet metal and shows *no* signs of any machinery. 
I love the Goggocycle:

Though I think it may be flaunting its metal bits.

Bill

·
Registered
198 Posts
This is a frightened city. Over these houses, over these streets hangs a pall of fear. Fear of a new kind of violence which is terrorizing the city. ....

·
Hall Monitor
2,762 Posts
toddpnewton said:
Rock on Scooter Gangs!
Uh, sort of.

These guys are mods:

(Note- not the board moderators, but the scooter-riding "Mods" of the U.K.'s early '60s)

And these are rockers:

As you can clearly see, the rockers ride motorcycles, while the mods ride scooters.

So the logical conclusion would be

Mod on Scooter Gangs!

Or not.

Bill

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a few rules when it comes to exhaust. If the vehicle is fast then some of the noise is justified. However, if you weigh 300lbs have an 883 with straight pipes and ride around beating the brains out that air cooled twin, well its just not cool it's super annoying.
Spraying for scooters? TODP you rock.
BH

1 - 20 of 21 Posts