Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Comment thread: http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=362849

Hey everyone! I love SVs and this is my 5th one. Maybe my initials, SV, are my destiny...

Before I bought this one, I had a 2003 with a bunch of mods, but cosmetically wasn't that great and the new one has a black frame which I prefer as well as lower miles (this one has 15,000).

Here's how it looked when I bought it:

So the parts I was gonna take off my other bike, (which can be spied in some of the pictures) include: GSXR front end, upgraded front master cylinder with Galfer stainless lines, ZX14R rear shock, GSXR rear wheel, Vortex rearsets, frame sliders, Ohlins steering damper, Eastern Beaver upgraded headlight relay/wiring, Vortex racing fuel cap, and a 520 chain conversion (I used a new chain).

After front end conversion, before rear wheel swap:

Getting a new rear tire ready for installation:

Here's where I am now:

After these pictures, I flipped the license plate mount and made it look a bit cleaner. Will post pictures next time I bust out my good camera. I brought over the stock turn signals since I like to be seen... maybe I'm getting old haha!

So my mods as of now are as follows (including other stuff I have done):
  • GSXR front end
  • 2FastMoto Radial master cylinder
  • Galfer brake lines
  • M4 slip-on exhaust (came with the bike)
  • Power Commander 3 (came with the bike)
  • ZX14R rear shock
  • GSXR rear wheel
  • 520 chain conversion with DID gold chain and Vortex sprockets with 16-43 gearing
  • Vortex rearsets
  • clutch switch override relay
  • Ohlins steering damper
  • Eastern Beaver upgraded headlight relay/wiring with Philips Vision Plus bulbs
  • STV plates removed
  • charcoal canister removal
  • PAIR removal (took the block-off plates I machined off the other bike)
  • Vortex Racing fuel cap
  • Zero Gravity double bubble windscreen (came with bike)
  • Iridium spark plugs
  • oil/filter change with Motul 7100 10w40
  • Healtech GIPRO gear indicator with ATRE
  • Stomp Grips
  • factory carbon fiber tank nut protector
  • SV-R decals
My upcoming mods and to do list include:
  • coolant flush
  • Sargent seat (since the one off my 03 won't fit)
  • GB Racing engine protectors (since my stupid orange degreaser messed the paint on the engine covers)
  • CNC top yokes triple tree clamp (my GSXR clamp is cracked and I am going to be converting to handlebars)
  • handlebar conversion (see above)
  • carbon fiber front fender (current GSXR fender is cracked and carbon ones aren't much more than normal ones)
Whew! I only bought this thing a couple weeks ago and have already done more than I thought possible on it. Now I need to go ride it!

Cheers!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
All this work was sooooooooo much easier since all the parts came off of a bike that was already running and sorted. Things like the speed sensor and steering damper mount were minimal work since it was just take it off and put it on. And this was a useful exercise since I found a nice crack in my triple tree clamp I would never have noticed along with repacking the grease in the triple bearings and inspecting them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I swapped tanks with my other SV since I decided that it was in good enough shape for my taste and it had the Stomp Grips and a cool factory Suzuki tank protector. I also applied some SV-R decals made by Chris Kruzel from Drippin Wet which look really nice. I finished putting my other bike together and it is almost ready to list for sale, enjoy!

SV-R decal

Suzuki tank protector

Twins in more ways than one!

How far she has come!!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Changed my coolant last night:

Then cleaned up the rest of the bike as well as cleaned and lubed the chain this morning:

So as of now the only part I'm waiting for is the CNC Top Yokes GSXR handlebar conversion triple tree clamp. Then I'll have to order all the parts to do my handlebar conversion.

In addition to the handlebar conversion, I think my plan is going to be to start making a bunch of carbon fiber parts! I want to start by making the small plastic covers below the fuel tank (I see that someone makes those, but would probably be good to practice with) and a rear hugger based on an existing design, but with the chain guard part much shorter (I really don't like the look of the chain guard and I always wear boots). Along with these, finally I would like to emulate the idea of the Sharkskinz fairings, but in carbon, like this:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just finished a handlebar conversion on my SV with a 04-05 GSXR600 front end! It was a lot of rerouting and rethinking how everything would work together. Where I mounted the steering damper didn't help (in the lower area in front of the headtube), but a lot of zip ties later, I made it happen in a manner safe enough that I'd be comfortable taking it to the track (and I plan to!) Also have a clear Zero Gravity touring windscreen on order to replace my double bubble tinted screen.

I used the following parts:
- Galfer stainless brake lines. GSXR length, not really long enough, but I made them work, would definitely recommend longer ones
- CNC Top Yokes triple clamp for GSXR
- Renthal Streetfighter bars
- Motion Pro +3" throttle cable and Naked Clutch cable

During:

All done:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
After the handlebar conversion and Zero Gravity Sport Touring windscreen swap, the bike is done for the foreseeable future! Maybe some more carbon fiber parts, but for now I'm happy and will go ride it till the wheels fall off!

I have put about 3000 miles since I bought it in October of last year, so it doesn't sit around too much. A track day and many canyon runs are in its future as well. :rock: :vroom:

Here's a rundown of everything I've done to her so far:
  • GSXR front end
  • 2FastMoto Radial master cylinder
  • Galfer brake lines
  • M4 slip-on exhaust
  • Power Commander 3
  • ZX14R rear shock
  • GSXR rear wheel
  • 520 chain conversion with DID gold chain and Vortex sprockets with 16-43 gearing
  • Vortex rearsets
  • clutch switch override relay
  • Ohlins steering damper
  • Eastern Beaver upgraded headlight relay/wiring with Philips Vision Plus bulbs
  • STV plates removed
  • charcoal canister removal
  • PAIR removal
  • Vortex Racing fuel cap
  • Zero Gravity clear Sport touring windscreen
  • Iridium spark plugs
  • oil/filter change with Motul 7100 10w40
  • Healtech GIPRO gear indicator with ATRE
  • Stomp Grips
  • factory carbon fiber tank nut protector
  • SV-R decals
  • coolant flush
  • Sargent seat
  • GB Racing engine protectors
  • CNC top yokes triple tree clamp
  • handlebar conversion using Renthal Streetfighter bars with longer cables
  • carbon fiber front fender
  • RAM Phone Mount
  • Hardwired phone charger using Battery Tender adapter
  • Factory solo rear seat (although I always ride with the seat and a Cortech tailbag)
  • black painted rear footpegs
  • factory clear turn signal lenses with chrome/amber bulbs
Dat gap (at full lock):

As she sits now:

And here's how she looked when I picked her up in mid October of last year:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts