Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got back tuesday night, did 2,100 miles with 7 days of riding (10 total for the trip) on my naked sv. I met one SV poster on the road, Mineral. That was cool. we ended up eating lunch with him and his buddy. The twisties just keep coming and coming and coming! At the end of the day I was actually ready to be done with the corners, not usually the case at all.

Like others have said, the bikes are deafening loud. TV people always say how loud they are but I never expected 1 bike could be loud enough that it hurt your ears. Insane loud. It was cool how different they all sounded too. You could tell who was coming around the corner just by listening. the KTM kinda sounded like a 2 stroke and the kawi's almost like a Buel with like 3 megaphones behind the pipe. The suzuki's screamed and the hondas and yamaha's sounded really mean and rumbly.

Can't really say I got to meet any riders like I did last year (meaning shake hands have a short conversation etc. walking alone you can?t take your pic with them) but I stood next to many GP guys and said good luck. Rossi, Tamada, Sete, Baylis, Max, Jerry Burgess, KR Sr., Hopper. I met Earl Hayden which I thought was cool. He was the only signature I got (wanted really) I?m not much for mobbing people for signatures or waiting in line but he was just all alone in the kawi pits and signed a poster for me.

I also met one of the 2 crash truck drivers (he stopped by my campsite on friday) and he invited me in to stand inside the fence with the corner workers on turn 5 for sat morning practice GP session. That was VERY cool standing inside the concrete wall with no fence, wall or people in front of me. I was standing next the crew filming the new Faster movie. Even the corner workers thought that was cool.

here are some pics:
Carmel Valley Road.

More Carmel Valley Road....you should get a trophy for surviving the thing..very fun though

hwy 1 corkscrew, not sure about the run off room though :)

nicky's hole shot lap 1

this is what it looks like standing on the inside of the wall on t5 :)

they let me stand right up next to the guy in the straw hat by the fence pole

faster crew

our campsite...this is what i call camping!

coming down the mountian to the ocean on lost coast hwy

the end of the lost coast hwy in humbolt park

this is what it looks like when you get up at 5am to get your spot on the fence.

·
Registered
6,316 Posts
Kool pics. :D I learned to drive on hiway 1 :D ,at 15,to drive grandma around. :D next time your around here,i'll take you to some real twisty roads. These guys, say only 90 miles of twistys? If there is a corner every 50' thats enough :lol:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We did 198 to happy camp (last year), 36, 96, 3, 128, Scotts Bar road, Sanomas (?) Bar rd, Mendecino to Ukiah (can't remember the name of the road, very good) legget to the coast, Lost cost rd, oakgrove grade (near napa)...and a crap load east and south of san fran.

sportbike paradise, and people from Cali (most anyway) pull over and let you by as soon as they see you. Except for the logger who tired to run me off the road. He pulled fully into my lane and I was in the gravel and at the last second he moves over so he's in the exact middle of the road and screams out the window like a psyco shaking his head and fist out the window "SLOW DOWN" I was on a straight section going about 45mph when I saw him. ?? That scared me a bit.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Sweet pics and nice write up.

So there's going to be another Faster movie? Were you able to ask the film crew that stuff?

Did it get cold at night?

What was the closest you got to the riders? What corner or straight section put you the closest as they went by?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Awesome trip report! Even better pics!! I'm soooo jealous.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i just moved out here about a month ago and pch 1 is some of the most amazing scenary i have ever seen. i take russian road into jenner and go up from there it is so gorgeous

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Vilrog said:
Sweet pics and nice write up.

So there's going to be another Faster movie? Were you able to ask the film crew that stuff?

Did it get cold at night?

What was the closest you got to the riders? What corner or straight section put you the closest as they went by?
I was there when they got there and started unloading their stuff. there are lots of people with video camers and huge cameras that look like pros so you don't really say anything cause there are so many, but these guys start unloading crates of stuff and then pull out a camera with film rather than video. So one of the corner workers asked and he said they are doing the new faster movie. It was so loud that you can't really have a conversation with people and they were busy so I didn't bother them. But I did hear first hand that is what they were doing.

it did get cold at night...windy too. in the 50's. in my tent I was toasty with normal summer gear but at times I wore my leather jacket and riding gloves cause I was cold by the fire watching on any sunday. :)

the closest you can get to the track is on the inside of 9 just past the bridge. that is all you can see and they go by so fast on the gas that you cant really notice anything that they are doing.

on the outside of 5 you get pretty close I could watch their hands and see when they were off the brakes and on the gas. you could mark the spots and see the faster riders on the gas and off the brakes in much different places than slower riders.

on the st8 beteween 3 and 4 (near the bridge) you can stnd about 10 feet from the track. you can see where in my sunrise pic.

this is a bad pic of Rossi, but it is in 9, just to the left out of view they are very close to you. to close to get a pic cause they go by so fast I had to get them further up the track. this pic has no zoom at all on it.

·
Registered
6,316 Posts
That pic is at lick obseveatory,2/3 of the way to the bay, area from the central valley :D mount hamelton rd. Start in patterson,Del porto canyon rd.26 miles..hamelton rd. up to lick,26miles hamelton rd. down to san jose30 miles :lol: Get gas and come back :lol:

·
Registered
6,316 Posts
jenners cool too. :D wife used to live over there....People that haven't been here,don't realise there are mt. roads from one end of the state to the other :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Great pics and write up.

If you're interested, I also posted some pics in the "Just Returned from MotoGP" thread.

·
Registered
23 Posts
doxiedog said:
jenners cool too. :D wife used to live over there....People that haven't been here,don't realise there are mt. roads from one end of the state to the other :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yea ive never seen any roads like it out there and the ocean is just fantastic. If you go to the town gualala take moutain view road i promise you wont be disappointed. it connects 1 and 128 and its pretty much a giant 27 mile roller coaster the whole entire way with giant redwoods.

M

·
0 Posts
punkjumper said:
We did 198 to happy camp (last year), 36, 96, 3, 128, Scotts Bar road, Sanomas (?) Bar rd, Mendecino to Ukiah (can't remember the name of the road, very good) legget to the coast, Lost cost rd, oakgrove grade (near napa)...and a crap load east and south of san fran.

sportbike paradise, and people from Cali (most anyway) pull over and let you by as soon as they see you. Except for the logger who tired to run me off the road. He pulled fully into my lane and I was in the gravel and at the last second he moves over so he's in the exact middle of the road and screams out the window like a psyco shaking his head and fist out the window "SLOW DOWN" I was on a straight section going about 45mph when I saw him. ?? That scared me a bit.
Hey dood!

Hwy 36 and that section to legget are distant memories now, after spending two dyas on the I5 all the way back to canada.
Ill never forget waving your freinds by only to realize they were two up on the FZ1. I could just barely keep up, and only for about 15 minutes before i realized they were too hot for me!
What a great weekend though, i ran into just about every rider i could name.
It was great riding with you guys!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
great photos...

I bet that ride along PCH highway 1 is great!!! I done it once and it was a blast!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts