Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My horn fell off yesterday. I see where the connector piece is but does anyone know where the horn mounts? The horn fell while I was riding and I thought it was a piece of debris. I have to buy a new horn but want to know where to mount it.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
in front of the radiator

N

·
0 Posts
Sounds like you lost the horn and the bracket, yes? The bracket screws into a threaded hole on the bottom of the steering head, visible only from below (at least it does on my 1G).

:)

·
Registered
836 Posts
My horn fell off too...it was my fault...I forgot I only put the bolt back on finger tight.

I suggest buying Dual Fiamm horns from a local auto parts store....that's some real noise right there.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Ben_JamminVFCC said:
My horn fell off too...it was my fault...I forgot I only put the bolt back on finger tight.

remind me never to have you work on my bike. ;)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gahdzila said:
well, if you have to buy another horn, dont buy another crap stock horn...buy some aftermarket Fiamms from the local auto parts place.  Oreilly's here has them in stock, not too expensive.  Mega loud.
The auto store didn't have Fiamms. Can I use a standard 12volt car horn?

N

·
0 Posts
camhops said:
The auto store didn't have Fiamms.  Can I use a standard 12volt car horn?
Any old 12V horn will work. BUT...bottom of the line el cheapo horns are $10, while Fiamm Highway Blasters are $20 tops. To me it's worth the extra $ for a slight performance margin. Call around -Fiamm is the name in horn and should be commonly available.

BTW, unless you're installing dual horns, buy the low tone horn (they sell high and low for dual horns); in my experience in penetrates the fog better...

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
my MSF teacher mentioned that you can replace horns on bike and if we are gonna do it, get the ones that sound like MAC truck.

another thing, never ever press the horn when riding someone's bike esp if that person likes to drag race.

·
Registered
114 Posts
nc_sv650 said:
Any old 12V horn will work. BUT...bottom of the line el cheapo horns are $10, while Fiamm Highway Blasters are $20 tops. To me it's worth the extra $ for a slight performance margin. Call around -Fiamm is the name in horn and should be commonly available.

BTW, unless you're installing dual horns, buy the low tone horn (they sell high and low for dual horns); in my experience in penetrates the fog better...

This to me is your best bet, I have the Fiamm Freeway Blaster, bought from Pep Boys and it is a simple plug in and bolt on product. It is much louder and more piercing than the stock horn. Took me 10 minutes to install. Thanks, Mike.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I replaced the whimpy horn on my '99 Nissan Altima with dual hi/lo FIAMM's and they made a HUGE difference. I hadn't thought to do that to the SV. Hmmmm... 8)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One more question. When the horn fell off I noticed the connector is still there. Can I just strip the terminals on teh connecotor and hook them up to the new horn. I know this is a silly question but I want to make sure.

N

·
0 Posts
If the connector is still intact it'll plug right into the new horn without modifications. The new horn will probably come with connectors; you can strip and install those without a problem.

BTW, the horn is polarity sensitive (it's just a solenoid connected to a diaphragm), so read the installation instructions. The black/blue wire is connected to the positive (+) terminal, while orange/green is ground (-).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts