Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I was riding and was suddenly unable to shift because my gear shifter fell off and was hanging off.

Somehow it came off the rear set mount as a whole including the bolt and cir clip.

How am I supposed to tighten the screw to the rear set? The shifter fits to the screw| bolt thing, tightly enough with the cir clip still intact. Also something like this is scary, I lubed the gearshifter the other day, do you think this caused it to loosen and fall off?

Thanks. Mnk.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So should I remove the cir clip and shifter from the bolt and the use a wrench to mount the bolt first and then reinstall the shifter and cir clip?

Theres like no grip to the bolt, cos its all greasy.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Happened the same thing to me, I used a thin set pliers, and tighten it pretty well, haven't moved since.

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
It's happened to a lot of people. Wipe it off and put a little blue loctite on the threads before you reinstall it.

You don't need to grease the shift linkage though.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Ah, yet another "my gear shifter fell off" thread. ;)

Basic motorcycle maintenance requires you to periodically go over your entire bike and tighten bolts. Vibration and movement will cause them to loosen.

Using blue loctite does help, as long as you thoroughly clean the hardware first. You don't need to remove the circlip. The rod has reverse-threading on one end so if you spin it with both ends threaded properly, it will screw in. Adjust it to the shifter pedal height desired and tighten down with the nuts.

·
Registered
86 Posts
This happened to me twice and a constant problem for me keeping it from coming loose. I used red loctite. It's a "permanent" thread lock alternative to the blue.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
It happened to one of our guys in a ride. there's a thin wrench in your tool box. Use it. Just turn the thing in until it's back in place. I can't remember the size of the wrench. But if you look in there, you'll know which on it is. After that incident, I inspected my bike and sure enough, for some reason(probably vibration), they come out on their own.

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
Blue Loc-Tite the threads (after you get them cleaned up). Make sure you don't tweak or twist the c-clip or it will work it's way off repeatedly; keep it straight by using snap ring pliers for removal and installation.

In the winter, the highway dept. uses LOTS of salt on the road, so, at least for me, it makes sense to lube the shifter pivot, because it will rust like crazy if you don't.

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
had my shifter fall off like this twice in a week and today i put some loc-tite on it but i didn't find the wrench mentioned in the bike tool-kit, closest thing in there was a 17mm wrench which didnt really fit, and a pair of plyers that were very crappy and barely did the job.

theres def not a piece in that kit that is 'made' for putting that shifter back in place.

after tighting it down all i could with the bolt i tried to tighten the outside of ti where the pin is and got it a little bit tighter there.

hope she sticks good!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
the tool pouch wrench on my 08 was not thin enough, after this happen to me I found a pair of Snap Ring Pliers at Harbor Freight that were thin enough to keep in the tool pouch that way if it happens again I can just pul the snap ring and have more room to access the hex part of the shift peg pivot point.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I just had this happen the other day...luckily mine was just very loose and didn't actually fall off. I recommend removing the circlip and cleaning everything off well. Put a little blue loc-tite on there when you put it back together. I put mine back on snugly with a deep socket personally. If you have it... they recommend moly paste for lubricating the shifter on the peg. Moly paste is actually pretty amazing stuff...worth having even if you don't continue to have this issue. Moly paste contains a solid particle similar to graphite that will protect metal parts where liquid lubricants have trouble staying. I did a few basic tests of oil vs. moly paste vs. suzuki super grease not too long ago. The moly paste lubricates and protects surfaces from abrasion MUCH better than mobil 1, or suzuki super grease.

I don't understand why j-dog would recommend not greasing the shift linkage. It was the peg that the shifter attached to on the rearset that fell out, right? Maybe he just meant to not grease the threaded part?

Anyhow...you have my two cents.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Can someone post a link to a resource where I can see how to tighten the assembly? Just got the bike this weekend, and the wobbling shifter is pretty scary. Tried to do a search, some people pointed out the problem being the shifter bushing becoming worn. Is this the issue, or can play be mitigated by simply tightening some screws?

·
Registered
7 Posts
this happen to me today going 120km/h....my friend point down at the shifter and told me it was hanging. turn off the bike on the side of the highway and managed to tighten it back...however the snap ring and shaft are garbage now because i turn the outside shaft with a pair of pliers. have to order a new shifter. it was either to save the shifter and call a tow truck or to force it back in and ride it home and order a new part. scary feeling lol

·
Registered
97 Posts
Can someone post a link to a resource where I can see how to tighten the assembly? Just got the bike this weekend, and the wobbling shifter is pretty scary. Tried to do a search, some people pointed out the problem being the shifter bushing becoming worn. Is this the issue, or can play be mitigated by simply tightening some screws?

I got my bike last weekend and had the same problem. For me, it turned out to be a crappy aftermarket shifter that the PO had put on. It had some crappy adaptor/bushing that broke and made it all wobbly and loose. Check your shifter against a parts diagram just in case. I ended up getting an OEM one and it worked for me!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I actually took mine and cut a slot for a flathead screwdriver using an angle grinder and a file. Every few days or so I take a look at it and tighten her up.

Honestly my next step might be to hit it with a little tack weld on the TIG, something I could knock off with a grinder should I ever need to purposely take it off.

·
Super Moderator
8,127 Posts
I actually took mine and cut a slot for a flathead screwdriver using an angle grinder and a file. Every few days or so I take a look at it and tighten her up.
i realize you JUST registered, but it's probably not the most meaningful thing to resurrect a 10 year old thread

·
Registered
2 Posts
i realize you JUST registered, but it's probably not the most meaningful thing to resurrect a 10 year old thread
Haha yeah wow, I didn't even look at the date stamps. Well, let it be known that if you google "gear selector keeps falling off sv650" this is the thread you'll get.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts