Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help diagnosing my buddy's carbs that I work on.
This is the set-up:
Stock exhaust
150 MJ
17.5 pilot jet
2 1/2 turns on AF
Snokel removed from OEM filter.
Added fuel filter to gas line.

I must of cleaned his carbs 3x with carb clean and compressed air.
Everytime after the clean it would start right up, idle fine and run well that one day. After a week or 2 of NO ridin, just sitting (work sucks) and then starting her up again... It runs like crap. The bike would start with the choke, back fire a little, and die. It will turn over again with choke but will not stay running with it. Messing with the idle screw does nothing.

I'm at wits end. I'm guessing the jet set up won't work with the stock exhaust or
Something is clogged again. Thing is, she runs great right after the cleaning.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
You might try to close up the snorkel with some duct tape and go down on the main jet closer to 140. I don't know how much extra air is entering due to the enlarged snorkel, but 150 seems rather large. This would at least eliminate the jetting/snorkel change if there is no change in running. Then you could move on to the above suggestion or other carb issue.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I just let my bike sit for 3 weeks without running - and now it won't idle - so it isn't just you. I used to have an Aprilia RS 250 that I would use two weekends a year and let it sit with Sta-bil in the fuel the rest of the time and it would always run perfectly ...SV...not so much.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, i have an sv too and it runs great with the exact same setup except i have a slip-on.

His bike ran well with the airbox off, so i asked him to try to start the bike without the airbox on and see if that does the trick. I hoping it does so if that is the case... get a slip-on or go smaller jets. Those carbs are super clean!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts