Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

My first trackday

2K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  ZeroSpawn 
#1 ·
So I went to Calabogie motorsports park which can be considered a mini 'ring.
It was a beautifull day and a great track.

http://www.calabogiemotorsports.com/

So I went with my 07 SVS and since I drove 5 hours to get there I didnt want to push too hard but I still gave it enough to drag my knees and have a blast.

For anyone whos thinking of doing a track day and hasnt yet, DO IT!!!!

It was so much fun, did the morning with 3 others and an instructor then after lunch me and a guy with a gsxr 750 just took off and did our own thing.

For those of you in the US who are within a reasonable distance or just visiting Canada I definately suggest you check out this track. There are a few companies that run intructional and track days.

turn2.ca ( the guys I went with, they offer gear and bikes if needed); and
http://www.pro6cycle.com/

See less See more
#7 ·
Hmmm. You've got me very interested. I've had mine about a year and a half and have just over 5,000 miles on it.

But it's been mostly commuting... I'm not all that comfortable past 60 mph since I rarely take the highway and when I do it's always packed with cars. Did you have a lot of high-speed experience?

Sorry for the questions... you've really got my attention!

#10 ·
Basiclly my entire 3500km before going were highway commuting to work. I did go out a few times (maybe 2-3) with the sole intention of hittin up some on/off ramps at faster speeds and working on body position last summer. But I never dragged a knee or anything like that, especially since I have ballistic pants that have velcro for knee pucks but I never bought any yet.

So for my high speed experiance, well that depends on what you consider high speed, considering the SV cant really reach high speeds in my book. Maybe you mean fast acceleration. Basically anytime I have a little room to stretch safely (merging onto empty highway, backroads...) I definately go up to redline in a 2-3 gears.

Something that I never had alot of experiance with is braking. Basically on the road you never brake hard then turn hard. Braking hard is usually if there is an emergency, so it doesnt happen often. So try scrubbing off speed then turning sharply (in a controlled enviro of course).

#12 ·
Did my first day last weekend, at CMP in South Carolina. I had a bad wreck a month ago so I made this my first "sport" ride since the wreck. Like most will say, sport riding the street seems rediculous after being on a track. Chicken strips... say what? more like what part of you tire has been melted down the most.:D

#14 ·
My first track day was October 2007, at Infineon Raceway, 7 months after my left ACL reconstruction surgery. It was a blast. I've done 3 now and have a 4th scheduled for August. It's so nice to not worry about gravel, animals, cars pulling out in front of you or any traffic headed straight at you! I must be the only girl who takes pictures of her tires at the end of a track day!

#17 ·
I went to the Reg Pridmore School to learn the basics. Did his school twice, then the Z2 Women's VIP day at T-Hill. That was my 3rd time and I was (per my instructor) moderately haning off the bike and put my tires through a complete heat cycle. I'll post a couple of pics of the tires for you but, yes, it was pretty easy to catch on. I just wish I lived closer than a 5+ hour drive to the nearest track or I'd be there every weekend!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.