Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

My first post of shame

3K views 29 replies 22 participants last post by  gulliamo 
#1 ·
So I went and got new tires put on today, nothing fancy because I figure that i won't be doing that much twisty stuff in MN. So I got them put on and on my way out of the lot I was making a mental note to go easy on new tires and not 2 sec later as I make a right turn I am on the ground. Walked it back feeling like an idiot as a group of 4 ******** heckle me while they walk back to their apartments with cases of beer. The guys from the shop came out and looked at it and the damage was very minor. The guys at the shop think I stopped in some oil because my shoes were super slick and I almost fell over waking through the shop. One question I have is: Can I chop down the inside end of my exhaust and cut off the damaged part? Is there anyone who would do this for a few bucks for me?

See less See more
#3 ·
did I hear framesliders?

It sucks you fell but is not that big...So how are we supposed to handle new tires? so far 2 ppl fell with new tires already.

#19 ·
When I bought my tires the guy told me take it easy on acceleration for the first 100 miles, and do alot of side to side (slaloming) mtion to wear off the first layer. A few of people i know (myself not included) will burn out on a new rear tire just to get rid of that first layer of rubber.

#4 ·
I was actually thinking about starting a thread about making it naked, about 2 months after I bought it and put on the fairing I started developing a taste for the naked. How much would it cost to buy the parts to make it a stock looking naked?

And I feel like an idiot for not having frame sliders, I bought them when I got the bike and then had to take them off when I put the lowers on the following week. I have been waiting for the custom ones that someone on the board was offering to make but haven't had the extra cash (moving across the country on Monday and starting a new commission only career)

#11 ·
I think you might have hit some oil or antifreeze or something. Lots of people get new tires without falling down. Maybe the tires were coated with soap from mounting. There has to be an explanation besides just the tires being new.

#13 ·
A couple things here.

screw the bike - most important thing is your OK. Trust me I know - bikes are cheap by comparison.

second if your tires have oil on them, even new, get rid of them they are junk.

third, yes the can, can be chopped - its been done I've done it - not a big deal.

fourth - sorry about the crash - probably preventable but still as long as your ok thats all that matters.

take some aspirin and hype it up at work :)

#14 ·
Honestly I'm not hurt at all, I was even in semi squid gear because I couldn't find the box that my wife packed my jackets in. So I was wearing a dress shirt, pants and shoes. I couldn't have been going more then 3 MPH when I hit, I rolled on my back and popped up. Didn't even tear the shirt.

I am not sure if there is oil on the tires. Would I be able to see it?

Also what is the set of damaged fairings worth? If I sold all of the plastics on it would I get enough to do a naked swap? What exactly do I need for this?

#16 ·
I think those 4 ******** were SVR members laughing at you for not having motosliders on your bike.

You can chop that can easy. You just need a drill, hacksaw, pry bar, new rivets, rivet tool, and hammer. If you don't mind riding up to the cold mountains, I can help you with the exhaust.

EDIT: if you do the naked swap you should hook me up with your headlamp. ;)

#20 ·
From my favorite MC safety site comes this bit of new-tire wisdom:

"Once again I heard well intentioned experienced riders only partially explain to some newbies that they needed to be careful after putting new tires on their bikes. They were told that this was because the new tires do not have as much traction on them until they are scuffed up a little.

It is not that I dispute that fact - new tires do provide less traction until the new-tire coating is worn off of them. But that is not the whole story and if no more is said about them an inexperienced rider could do something very foolish and dangerous if they rely simply on that information.

They could, for example, scuff the new tires using an abrasive just after mounting them and then take off to tackle some twisties. Lower traction would not, then, be a significant problem. But that is a far cry from saying that the new tires would be safely usable in stress situations as a result.

ALL new tires grow during the first hundred miles or so of use. It is absolutely essential that you allow them to do so before putting them to a stress test such as attempting to aggressively navigate a set of twisties. Why? Because it is the process of growing that results in a tight and secure bead to rim seating. If you put the tires to undue stress before their beads have seated to the wheel rims there is a possibility that you will experience a catastrophic loss of air while heeled over in a turn.

Rather than using an abrasive to convert a new tire into a used one, better by far to ride on them for a hundred miles or so. Besides, it's more fun doing it that way."

#26 ·
From my favorite MC safety site comes this bit of new-tire wisdom:

ALL new tires grow during the first hundred miles or so of use. It is absolutely essential that you allow them to do so before putting them to a stress test such as attempting to aggressively navigate a set of twisties. Why? Because it is the process of growing that results in a tight and secure bead to rim seating. If you put the tires to undue stress before their beads have seated to the wheel rims there is a possibility that you will experience a catastrophic loss of air while heeled over in a turn.

Rather than using an abrasive to convert a new tire into a used one, better by far to ride on them for a hundred miles or so. Besides, it's more fun doing it that way."
If this were true, wouldn't we have more of a problem with racers putting on a qualifier and getting 2-3 laps out of it? What about club racers who put on a set a weekend?

#21 ·
The good folks at SportRider and Pirelli have a different opinion:

"First off, Knoche quickly dispatched the old wives' tale that the surface of the tire needs to be scuffed or roughed up to offer grip. "Maybe it's coming from the old days when people were spraying mold release on the tread when the molds were maybe not that precise," Knoche speculates, "and the machinery was not that precise. But nowadays molds are typically coated with Teflon or other surface treatments. The release you put in there (in the sidewall area only, not the tread) is for like baking a cake, you know, so that it fills all the little corners and today that is done more mechanically than by spraying. The sidewall is important because you have all the engraving in the sidewall [with tire size, inflation pressure and certifications] and that you want to look nicely on your tire, so that's why we still spray the mold release there."

The next myth we see perpetuated nearly every time we watch the warm-up lap to a race. Riders begin weaving back and forth in apparent attempt to scuff the tread surface (which we've already discounted) and generate heat. The reality is that, according to every tire engineer that I've asked, there are far more effective ways of generating heat in a tire that are also much safer. Rather than weaving back and forth-which does little in the way of generating heat but does put you at risk asking for cornering grip from tires before they're up to temperature-you're far better off using strong acceleration and braking forces, and using them while upright, not leaned over! Acceleration and braking forces impart far more flex to the tire carcass, which is what generates the heat that then transfers to the tread compound as well (you often see Formula 1 cars weaving violently back and forth because automobile tires operate on a horizontal plane, so they have and use significant sidewall flex to generate heat).

All I can say is that you should trust the educated opinion of tire engineers over the old habits and superstitions of even the best racers. That said, I still-out of habit-occasionally catch myself weaving out of the pits on fresh rubber before chastising myself and then applying heavy yet smooth acceleration and braking forces into the tire while keeping the bike relatively upright."

#22 ·
Holy Crap, when did this happen. I think I saw you riding yesterday around lunch time when I was going back to work. That sucks, but I hope you make a better bike out of it. Crashing is a great excuse to modify. (as if one is needed) And good luck going back to MN, you'll have more green and trees and water and **** like that. (but I'll think about you next time I'm riding in January. :)

#23 ·
Ya you saw me on the way to drop it off for the tires and then it happend at about 6pm, be VERY careful if you are going out of the west entrance to Sierra Cycles. I am almost positive I stopped in some kind of a puddle because I had to take a soapy rag and clean the bottoms of my dress shoes after I nearly fell on my ass 3 times this morning (they are slick as ice). I saw you riding about 2 weeks ago and yours looks good just that tiny dent in the tank is all I noticed. If your free this weekend I could always use some help loading the moving truck :).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.