Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys (and gals)...i just did my first oil change on an '02 SV650. it has 6333 miles and the last change before i purchased it over the summer was done at 3200 miles. i put a bit too much oil so that it reads slightly above the "F" line after running it for a mile or two around the block. is this bad? do i have to drain it so it's between F and L, or can i leave it slightly above F? thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thejimdaddy said:
drain some out, are you checking it with the bike off of the side stand?? as in vertical
yes, it's vertical when i check it. i'll drain some out tomorrow. now, what's the easiest/best/least messy way to do this? do i just slowly open up the plug until oil starts to dribble out? thanks for the replies.

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
kugino said:
yes, it's vertical when i  check it.  i'll drain some out tomorrow.  now, what's the easiest/best/least messy way to do this?  do i just slowly open up the plug until oil starts to dribble out?  thanks for the replies.
that's probably the best bet, loosen it till it dribbles out then tighten and check, continue till the level is correct,

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I agree with thejimdaddy. Overfilling can lead to hard/clunky shifting and cause oil blowback into the airbox, not to mention worse.

If it were mine, I would not even start the bike until I had drained out the excess and at least gotten the cold level to the halfway point between "F" and "L". Consult your trusty owner's manual for the recommended level and adjust accordingly... HTH

·
Registered
449 Posts
I say your fine. I fill my '02 to the top of glass and have never had any issues whatsoever. Racers fill it to the top of the glass to keep the heat of the engine down during a race. Now I'm no racer (yet :D ) but it does help during the hotter states in the summer.

Grav.

G

·
Drain it. Too high is bad. Too low is bad. That's why they have 2 little lines. You don' t have to be 'FULL'. You do have to not be more than full.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Make sure you're checking the oil level with the bike perfectly vertical on flat ground. If you have the bike held vertical by a rear stand it will be tilted forward slightly (since the rear wheel is in the air), and you can't accurately check the oil level with the bike like that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Instead of draining through the sump plug it might be easier to just loosen the oil filter a turn or two (only if you've just replaced that as well, otherwise it'll be a bastard to loosen) That way you have a more manageable dribble instead of what could be a torrent of oil if you undo the sump plug to much.

Alternatively i've found a syringe with a small pipe on the end can suck small amounts back outta the filler cap, that should be suitable for the amount you need to get rid of.

G

·
rabbit said:
Instead of draining through the sump plug it might be easier to just loosen the oil filter a turn or two (only if you've just replaced that as well, otherwise it'll be a bastard to loosen) That way you have a more manageable dribble instead of what could be a torrent of oil if you undo the sump plug to much.

Alternatively i've found a syringe with a small pipe on the end can suck small amounts back outta the filler cap, that should be suitable for the amount you need to get rid of.
That's a good idea - the oil filter draining - thank you!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Get a fluid evacuator and suck it out!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Quote from: toddpnewton on December 12, 2005, 11:18:25 AM
You don' t have to be 'FULL'. You do have to not be more than full.

fafaforza said:
So YOU're the one that writes those double-negative, all-of-the-above-except type questions on the SAT!! Blast you!

All hail mighty logic! The only way to maintain any sanity... ;D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts