Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went on my first long distance ride this weekend. The weather was to good and my buddy just bought a new bike too so I wanted to go hang out with him some. I traveled Hwy 27 from Gainesville to Tallahassee FL. 280 miles round trip. The first 130 weren't bad but the last 60 miles really hurt. My legs were like jello went I got off at home. I missed the Florida/Georgia game as well as the Florida St./Maryland game. I was pleased with each result though. I recently bought a buell M2 flyscreen to put on and after that little trip I can't wait to get it and put it on. The wind was pretty brutal. I was going to take the interstate but that scared the piss out of me. It was nice to travel on the country roads it was quite peaceful. I have to learn how to stop and take breaks. I'm use to getting in the cage and getting from point A to point B as fast as possible without stops, I think that would have helped alot. All around I would say it was a successful trip and gave me some valuable experience.

·
Registered
571 Posts
long trips can be fun. sounds like you do need to learn to stop once in a while. it is even more important when you are not used to it.

when we are in a decent sized group we tend to stop every 50-60 miles because of the varying experience levels. sometimes they are a little closer if there is a real noob with us. but when me and some buddies took off for a week, we stopped every 90-100 miles. we'd just get into a groove and not stop until one of us needed to.

but you have to build up to that. it's like any sport really. you just slowly increase the mileage to the point that you want to be at. but taking breaks is important to fight off soreness/stiffness and fatigue. even 10-15 minutes off the bike can make a big difference in how you feel while riding.

but this trip was definitely a learning experience for you.

·
Registered
283 Posts
One of the first things I learned on my first long distance trips was how beat up tired I was.

My God!! Breaks, water, food, and even a different visor (if you start the day with a darkened visor) become incredibly important.

However, you get used to these as you ride longer and longer distances.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
+1 on taking breaks.

The long trips I've gone on (well...nothing REALLY long...but 300-400 miles in a day), I didn't try to push the fuel window, since I was out in the country...so if I saw a gas station at about 160 miles on a tank, I stopped for gas. Also always stop once more at about halfway between gas stops. So usually every 80 miles or so. Just don't let yourself get tired. Your body will tell you when it is time to stop. If you need to stop, you need to stop...don't push it, you will only end up making yourself much more exhausted at the end of the day.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Chase said:
I went on my first long distance ride this weekend.  The weather was to good and my buddy just bought a new bike too so I wanted to go hang out with him some.  I traveled Hwy 27 from Gainesville to Tallahassee FL. ....
Man you should have posted you were coing to Tally, I was out riding Sat and Sunday...missing the games to but didn't care about Florida (Go Noles :D). I was out on the back roads also all over and on US 27 for a short piece. Next time post a few days ahead of time. Did you take old US 27 over?? That is one long drug out road from Perry to Ocala and takes forever even on when I drove it on my 02 TA averaging about 90-100 all the way :D.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I'm from Tally so I'll post next time I'm going, I will probably be there for thanksgiving but probably bikeless. Yeah Old 27 was nice coming to Tally because I haven't driven it in a while and it was around noon, but coming home was around 5:30, 6:00 shade then sunset then dark and cool (won't say cold because it is still Florida)

I rode around out Chaires cross roads and out to Lake Miccosokee. My buddy just got a 98 Honda Shadow, different but he's a friend, we make a funny looking pair riding together. He was very surprised with the power of the SV But laughed that I had to shift so fast when I got on it from a stop.

I will defintely stop more on the next trip. Does anyone have any experience with the buell M2 flyscreen? I got a good deal on it, and I like the way it looks but how much should I expect it to really help?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
If I'm only going 400 miles or so, I ride without stopping for anything but gas, I maintain steady pace.

on longer trips, I stop about once an hour, 50-60 miles, take helmet off, drink fluids.  every 120 miles or so, I gotta get gas, I take the opportunity to take a 10 minute break grab a candy bar, more fluid, I usually drink flavored water or gator aid, occasionally a starbucks cappachino.  I stop to eat where I can sit down every 4-6 hours for 20 minutes to half hour

I never ride more than 1000-1250 miles then get 4-6 hours of sack time  

occasionally I will do some stretches & exercises while riding, traffic & conditions permitting

What I would consider my first "long distance" ride was 30 years ago on a CB125 S. I rode it to my parents house 200 miles away for a weekend, top speed on that bike was about 65-70, maybe 75 on a downgrade but on steep upgrades I was only able to keep up with the trucks in the trucklanes,  I only went on highway for one exit and got off, highway was not the place to be with that bike

Somehow I have always been able to schedule my trips so I am not in heavy traffic, at worse, in opposite direction of heavy traffic.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have been going out Miccosokee Rd and that area if I am riding after work because it has the least amount of traffic. I made a round trip today, down tram, up 59, down 90, right on crump, up centerville, back down centerville into Killearn, then across to meridian and down to miller landing then bac down meridian and across to riggins (where I live :D). I think I put about 100 miles on it today.

The only buddy I have to ride with right now has a gixxer 1000 so I am trying to get it broke in so I can stay up half way decent when he decides to open it up :D, Yeah the evenings do tend to get a little chilly. I threw the liner in my jacket and had a long sleeve shirt underneath, sidi boots and street pants...still gets a little nippy when sun sets but much better than 90deg weather like it was a month ago. Reminded me of riding my motorcross bike with all my gear on and 100 deg weather...ok not quite that bad lol.

shoot a personal message if you ride over again and I will meet you guys and go riding if your not too wore out from the trip over :p

·
King of D'bags
3,579 Posts
You're all pussies. (Except RandyO ::)) I've done 600 miles days. Sure, you're tired but it's not that bad.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
gahdzila said:
+1 on taking breaks.

The long trips I've gone on (well...nothing REALLY long...but 300-400 miles in a day), I didn't try to push the fuel window, since I was out in the country...so if I saw a gas station at about 160 miles on a tank, I stopped for gas. Also always stop once more at about halfway between gas stops. So usually every 80 miles or so. Just don't let yourself get tired. Your body will tell you when it is time to stop. If you need to stop, you need to stop...don't push it, you will only end up making yourself much more exhausted at the end of the day.
Ha! At 160 miles, I had better be looking for a gas station. I'd be on fumes.... ;D

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
arimichael said:
You're all pussies. (Except RandyO ::)) I've done 600 miles days. Sure, you're tired but it's not that bad.
ya beat me to it, 280 a long ride??? come on that's just getting going. If you wear loose clothing that flaps in the wind you will get more fatiged than if you wear a riding suit of leather or nylon. It just kinda beats you up. My longest in a day was 1000miles 20 hours. Yea I was tired after that one.  :p

·
Registered
21 Posts
RandyO said:
If I'm only going 400 miles or so, I ride without stopping for anything but gas, I maintain steady pace.

on longer trips, I stop about once an hour, 50-60 miles, take helmet off, drink fluids.  every 120 miles or so, I gotta get gas, I take the opportunity to take a 10 minute break grab a candy bar, more fluid, I usually drink flavored water or gator aid, occasionally a starbucks cappachino.  I stop to eat where I can sit down every 4-6 hours for 20 minutes to half hour

I never ride more than 1000-1250 miles then get 4-6 hours of sack time  

occasionally I will do some stretches & exercises while riding, traffic & conditions permitting

What I would consider my first "long distance" ride was 30 years ago on a CB125 S. I rode it to my parents house 200 miles away for a weekend, top speed on that bike was about 65-70, maybe 75 on a downgrade but on steep upgrades I was only able to keep up with the trucks in the trucklanes,  I only went on highway for one exit and got off, highway was not the place to be with that bike

Somehow I have always been able to schedule my trips so I am not in heavy traffic, at worse, in opposite direction of heavy traffic.
listen to this man.... he truly knows about distance riding on an SV  ;D

I do 122 miles a day commuting on the SV plus silly weekend mileage.  Ive just started a relationship with someone who lives in Edingburgh... given Im about as far south in the UK as you can get the SV is in for upping from 50k miles a year to probably 75k miles.... and when doing those distances breaks every hour, eat, drink fluid and rest and get your concentration back, calm down from the muppets driving on the motorway though I doubt you guys have so much problem with heavy traffic as we do here.  

and randyo, you forgot a key ingredient to comfort.... aside from regular breaks you really need comfy underwear too.  the difference that can make is amazing...  :-[ ;D

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Comfy underwear is a must. Most people don't believe me when I tell them this. They think I just like wearing funny lookin shorts. You really can ride farther with a good set of riding shorts. ::)

·
Registered
629 Posts
I put this on another post...Baby Powder also makes a nice comfy...dry..and rub free rash zone in the underpants also ;D

·
Registered
286 Posts
Jimmie said:
Comfy underwear is a must. Most people don't believe me when I tell them this. They think I just like wearing funny lookin shorts. You really can ride farther with a good set of riding shorts. ::)
Big +1. I went from having a wicked sore ass from a 250 mile day to having a refreshed ass on a 500-600 mile day thanks to bike riding shorts. I picked up a pair with padding from EMS, together with some gold bond, and no more monkey butt.

But if you're going to be doing distance on a bike, stopping every so often is key. Whatever you do, try not to just sit down for extended periods of time though. It's much much better to be up and walking around, keeping your muscles warm and active, than having them be inactive and tighten up. When I do 500 mile days of twisties, I usually only stop when I need gas, and once midday for lunch (almost always coincides with lunch).

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I just did 900 miles in three days the weekend before last. And the majority of it was in the twisties. Its definitely a good idea to take breaks every 100 miles or so. At the very least its a good excuse to stop and take photos of your trip! You'll be glad you did :)

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
re: pushing the bike at 160 miles ;D

hmmm...I routinely get 50 mpg. Fuel light almost never comes on before 150 miles on the trip meter, sometimes 170.

Anyway, whatever mileage you get...I just meant I don't try to push the fuel window just to get a little further down the road. If I'm remotely close to needing gas, and I pass a station, and I'm tired, I stop and buy gas and take a break.

·
King of D'bags
3,579 Posts
Believe or not, I've actually managed to break the 200 mile barrier on a single tankful. Granted, it was 90% expressways with a moderate throttle hand (for me ::)) and I was within a gnat's ass of walking, I've nonetheless done it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts