Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided several years ago I wanted a motorcycle, so I went to a dealership and got worked up for a CBR600F4I. The only problem was that I was rejected because I had no credit. (I was 18.) I gave up for several years, and a few months ago, I decided I was going to work 60 hours a week if I could so I could save up for a motorcycle.

Fast foward to today. I bought my SV650s with cash last wednesday. I think it's a good size bike for my first bike, considering I'm 261 lbs and 6'2". It's an absolutely beautiful bike, and I've been riding it every chance I get. I haven't ventured too far out of my own neighborhood, other than my frightening ride home on the first day across albuquerque on the freeway during rush hour traffic. I'm afraid to get into too much traffic considering I have no idea what traffic looks like behind me. The mirrors on the sv650s are totally worthless...

This friday I get paid again, and I'll get mirror extenders or bar end mirrors and maybe helibars too.

The bike already has a SBK exhaust that sits pretty close to the tail, and a fender eliminator kit, and a solo seat cover, and a paint matched lower fairing that didn't come installed, but I have most of the brackets and such to put it on if I decide to, however I kinda like the naked look.

I missed belonging to an enthusiasts forum. I used to be a moderator at LOST KJ (jeep liberty enthusiasts), and before that, a moderator at NECO (new edge Cougar organization.) There is such a wealth of information at forums like this.

Anyways... Hi everybody... :hello:

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
:needpics:

·
Registered
522 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Hopefully you'll find your stay here enjoyable. I'm sure your first ride was an experience....btw, you can let go of the grips now. ;)

Welcome and smart move on saving your money so you could pay cash for your first bike.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Welcome fellow Albquerqueian. You will find a wealth of knowledge on this site. If you go to the regional forums and click the southwest forum, we have a "Anyone from New Mexico" thread. Comprised mostly of people from ABQ but we get some visitors from as far south as Las Cruces. As a matter of fact, we are going to try and organize and run this Sunday. If you have the time off, you are more then welcome to come. Nothing fast or squidish, just good 'ol fun (details TBD).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's some much needed pics. The bike was already a bit modified when I got it. At first, i was not happy about that. I wanted to do all these things, because the project is half the fun. But now that I have the bike, the mods are looking better and better, especially since they are exactly the things I probably would do anyways.

Fender eliminator kit. I have no idea what brand it is though.

Sylvania silverstar ultras. installed them a couple hours ago.

Butt pic...

A closer shot of the solo cowl. You cant tell in the pic, but it is annoyingly barely, slightly off color. It looks a bit green when put up against the bike.

Oh, and the person I bought the bike from gave me a set of lower fairings, with all the parts for installation. Maybe I'll put it on or maybe I'll sell it for modification money.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I took the ridercourse, but it's been like 4 years since I took it, and I didn't ride a motorcycle once during that time, so I'm thinking of taking it again.

I already had a scare going downhill with a stoplight at the bottom of the hill. I was going like 45mph, and there was a police officer at the intersection. The light turned yellow and I made the decision to stop and applied the brakes hard. I didn't put enough brakes on the front, and too much on the rear. My rear tire locked up and the back end started sliding out sideways. I thought fast, and let off both brakes smoothly and the bike lined up again, then I braked properly. Smoke was everywhere. I thought I was going to be dumped into the middle of an intersection, but luckily I got a learning opportunity without the harsh lesson.

SV Mania: I'd definately like to go riding, but first I need to find a big empty parking lot on the west side and practice evasive and braking maneuvers. My confidence level is a zero right now too because I cant see behind me at all. I'm a big guy and all I can see in the mirrors is my shoulders and elbows. Cars won't give me any room for learning either. Every single time I ride out of my neighborhood, immediately somebody is riding my @$$. It doesn't matter if I'm going 50 in a 40, they just don't give motorcycles any breathing room. It's usually a kid in a sports car, and I think they see my sport bike and start thinking competitively. :angry5:

Anyways, if you guys are going on sunday, I think that's a bit soon for me to venture out with my skill level. Everyone drives like a maniac here on the westside, and I'm guilty of it too when I'm in my car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts