Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How's it going guys? I'm Justin and I just bought my first bike last week. It's an 02 sv650s. Has some scuffs in the plastics, and the speedo isn't working, but it's fun! So far I've ordered up the relay under the seat and the speed rotor to hopefully remedy that speedo issue. Plans for it are pretty simple, slip on exhaust, undertail, and full fairings. I Guess I'll be updating it's progress here. -Justin

·
Registered
421 Posts
Now get some gear and hit the track :thumbsup:

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'll get a little more seat time on the street before i go get my ass handed to me at the track :) Thanks for the support guys!
The track will help you more than anything. Its not a race, its there to help you improve body position, lines, throttle controlm braking, and dont forget its fun ;D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Spent yesterday trying to remedy that speedo issue. Replaced the relay under the seat, then moved on to the front wheel. I pulled the assembly apart to find the little four pronged rotor was in pieces as i predicted from reading up on this common problem. Awesome i thought to myself, easy fix and slapped the whole thing back together. Took it for a quick ride, still no speed signal. I played with the wires a little while riding and it popped on, now that it has the new rotor in the front wheel, and popped back off as soon as i let go of the wires. The connection is good under the tank/airbox so my only theory is that the pink wire is broken or pinched somewhere, i'll be looking into that this weekend once im off duty :)

edit: I did replace the four prong rotor.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
If the plastic rotor piece is broken I'd replace that. It is fairly common, because if you don't line it up right, it breaks, and since it's plastic it's hard to tell its happening. It needs the 4 little ears (which are what break off) or it won't work.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the plastic rotor piece is broken I'd replace that. It is fairly common, because if you don't line it up right, it breaks, and since it's plastic it's hard to tell its happening. It needs the 4 little ears (which are what break off) or it won't work.
It was broken and i did replace it, still having issues. Hopefully i'll get them sorted this weekend!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Double check the new speedo sensor rotor you installed. Mine broke within a week of replacing it and I had to replace it again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fixed the speedo issue, turned out to be a faulty wire. Thanks to anybody who offered insight! Might take the bike to Ocean City tomorrow or sunday to check out H2o, anybody in the area?

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
If you are that new to riding I would highly advise against taking a passenger already. It adds significantly to the required skill if anything goes wrong, and makes the consequences worse as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you are that new to riding I would highly advise against taking a passenger already. It adds significantly to the required skill if anything goes wrong, and makes the consequences worse as well.
I appreciate the concern and understand where it stems from, however it is notable to mention that while this is my first street bike, i have several years of experience on the dirt. While I understand that they are two very different things, it at least counts for motorcycle familiarity. As for the gf, i've had several talks with her on how her movements affect the bike etc etc, and have only taken a passenger on short rides thus far.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I have a friend who crashed with his GF on the back of his bike less than a month after he started riding, and she got reasonably hurt, which is why I said it. Dirt experience should absolutely help, though.

Hopefully both of you are wearing gear. In that picture you're certainly underdressed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Junkie- Sorry to hear about your friend, hope he and his gf are doing ok now. We have gotten some more gear, just need pants now, then maybe some newer helmets as the ones i have are hand-me downs.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I follow the three year rule with helmets. Just my 0.02

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I follow the three year rule with helmets. Just my 0.02
Yeah, they're my dads, he used one of them for like a season and then sold his gsxr, so they've been sitting, though the passenger one had only been worn maybe twice. I have my eye on a new one for each of us, just going to wait a couple paychecks.

·
Registered
421 Posts
EXO 500 are really good for the price. If you're planning on getting on the track then get one with a SNELL rating.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have a friend selling a full yoshi. PM is interested.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts