Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So only a couple corners from the office. Getting off the highway there is a free right (right turn into it's own lane). A lot of people stop at this corner and try and get into the left lane instead of continuing in the lane and then getting over. So the SUV in front of me starts to round the corner and really far over to the left, to the point that there was about 6 feet or more of space on the passenger side to the curb. This looked to me that they were going into the left lane, so I decided to go into this open space to continue on in the right lane. Just as I'm about even to the passenger side door they start coming over on me. Not a little bit either they were trying to close the door on me (at least that is how I felt about it) So I gun it up around them. I never looked back to see if they switched lanes or not. I know it was an illegal move, but seriously trying to cut someone off and risk injuring them to make sure they don't do it. Pretty lame.

·
MOTORADOR
10,967 Posts
Some peeps are just full of crap.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I don't see that being illegal- defensive driving isn't illegal and if I cop gave me **** for protecting my safety and avoiding a crash I'd happily take that to court.

I might also set him on fire :)

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
They very well could have just taken the turn wide and not noticed you next to them when they straightened out in the lane. I dont pull that maneuver unless I am sure they are stopped and waiting to move over. I do it often in merge lanes that people dont know how to use but I always make sure they stop first and stare at traffic like idiots rather than properly merging using the lane.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They very well could have just taken the turn wide and not noticed you next to them when they straightened out in the lane. I dont pull that maneuver unless I am sure they are stopped and waiting to move over. I do it often in merge lanes that people dont know how to use but I always make sure they stop first and stare at traffic like idiots rather than properly merging using the lane.
I thought that was a possibility and if that is the case I scared the crap out of them. And I feel bad..........ok I'm done now.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Glad you avoided trouble, but you should never have put yourself in that situation.

I try to never ride along side of anyone, especially in a turn. If someone decides at the last minute to go straight instead of turning (or, vice versa), drift from one lane to the next, change lanes without looking, or even specifically tries to cut me off -- I let them. Better cut off than run off the road.

·
Registered
723 Posts
You effed up. Ride defensively. I'm glad you are OK. You probably did scare some one who just wasn't driving very well. I'm not saying I haven't done similar stuff, and I have regretted it occassionally.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
So only a couple corners from the office. Getting off the highway there is a free right (right turn into it's own lane). A lot of people stop at this corner and try and get into the left lane instead of continuing in the lane and then getting over. So the SUV in front of me starts to round the corner and really far over to the left, to the point that there was about 6 feet or more of space on the passenger side to the curb. This looked to me that they were going into the left lane, so I decided to go into this open space to continue on in the right lane. Just as I'm about even to the passenger side door they start coming over on me. Not a little bit either they were trying to close the door on me (at least that is how I felt about it) So I gun it up around them. I never looked back to see if they switched lanes or not. I know it was an illegal move, but seriously trying to cut someone off and risk injuring them to make sure they don't do it. Pretty lame.
By the sounds of that it looks like they saw you and were purposely trying to goad you into making that move so that they could try to make you dump the bike. :naughty:

I've seen this done before to other bikers and I'm always suspicious of people when they try similar crap with me. I don't give them the chance to righteously nail me like that. :evil6:

·
Registered
818 Posts
As noted, rider error. Both in starting the pass, then in hanging out in the blind spot.

I saw nothing in your account to justify thinking that the cage intended to harm you. I strongly suspect that they just ran wide and you were in their blind spot when they did so.

May I recommend reading, then practicing the information in David L Hough's Proficient Motorcycling? :)

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As noted, rider error. Both in starting the pass, then in hanging out in the blind spot.

I saw nothing in your account to justify thinking that the cage intended to harm you. I strongly suspect that they just ran wide and you were in their blind spot when they did so.

May I recommend reading, then practicing the information in David L Hough's Proficient Motorcycling? :)
NO! ;D

·
Registered
760 Posts
Remind me never to post an "interesting commute" story, it always seems to degrade down to "You suck at riding :bruce:"

OP: glad you made it out unharmed.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yesterday after work i was in front of the rightmost of two left turn lanes and the car to left of me decided to come into my lane during the turn. I saw them coming over and added some throttle and they ended up missing my rear tire by mere inches. I turned and gave them a "wtf" gesture and they gave one right back to me! lol

For the next couple minutes i was kicking myself for not slowing down and giving them a piece of my mind but in hindsight I'm glad I didnt as nothing would have come from it.

I guess I was due for someone trying to kill me. Good reminder to expect the unexpected.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Did I read this correctly? Did you pass them (on the right) in the same lane that they were in?

I don't care about passing on the right. [akward squidly gang signs] There's so many people that get in the left lane and just putt putt along. But passing someone in their lane (if that is what you did), that was an interesting choice on your part.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Did I read this correctly? Did you pass them (on the right) in the same lane that they were in?

I don't care about passing on the right. [akward squidly gang signs] There's so many people that get in the left lane and just putt putt along. But passing someone in their lane (if that is what you did), that was an interesting choice on your part.
I think Lance meant that the driver had already begun to merge into the next left lane, as many drivers do at that intersection. Lance began to pass them even though they weren't fully out of that lane, and then he realized they weren't changing lanes at all but had simply run wide/weren't paying attention.

As has been mentioned, it's both an understandable assumption on Lance's part and a dangerous one.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
I think Lance meant that the driver had already begun to merge into the next left lane, as many drivers do at that intersection. Lance began to pass them even though they weren't fully out of that lane, and then he realized they weren't changing lanes at all but had simply run wide/weren't paying attention.

As has been mentioned, it's both an understandable assumption on Lance's part and a dangerous one.
Uh...OK. As the official Lance spokesman, what did Lance have for breakfast?
Does Lance take his coffee with cream and sugar?
If Lance was a wheelie, what kind of wheelie would Lance be?

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Uh...OK. As the official Lance spokesman, what did Lance have for breakfast?
Does Lance take his coffee with cream and sugar?
If Lance was a wheelie, what kind of wheelie would Lance be?
Seriously? If you don't think I read it right that's great. I was just trying to help you understand the situation since you were obviously questioning it. If I'm not right, he'll come by and say so. If I am, I saved his fingers a little bit of work. The last sentence wasn't directed at you either, that was my thought on the situation.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Datech was correct - and yes he is my official spokesman, I didn't really want it known but since it's out now, it's just not a legal inding spokesman so some interpretation may need to be used.

to answer VK

nothing
black
slow build up to fully erect with toe curling finish

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Datech was correct - and yes he is my official spokesman, I didn't really want it known but since it's out now, it's just not a legal inding spokesman so some interpretation may need to be used.

to answer VK

nothing
black
slow build up to fully erect with toe curling finish
IN YO FACE BRUCE! Just call me Rick Gorka...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts