Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks goes to Zuki for explaining how to do this mod.

I also installed the Clear Alternative tail light at the same time.

Anyway, what I did was take off the fender, cut it with a hacksaw so that it was as flush as possible with the undertail's plastic. I then took the L bracket off the fender that was holding the plate on and reused it and the license plate light. I just drilled a couple of holes in the undertail to mount that bracket. I also had to use a couple of extenders in order to fit the plate and the light directly underneath the tail light.

All in all it went fairly well. There is a bit of a gap between the cut fender and the tail light but nothing you really notice unless you are a foot away looking directly at it. It didn't cost me a dime so that is the key here ;). If anyone wants a better explanation let me know. Total time for both mods was about 6.5 hours yesterday with no problems to speak of thankfully.

Anyway, onto the pics...

Before

The fender, and the top of it that I cut off and put back on the bike so there wouldn't be a huge gap.

Big job taking off the entire tail section...

You can see the sawed off fender in this pic as well as how I mounted the plate.

The end result. You can see how it isn't exactly flush with the rest of the bike.

Next step, high mount exhaust! ;)

Just as a note, I corrected the angle of the plate after those pics were taken. It was pointing too far up so it was kinda hard to see. Also gonna take those reflectors off.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
much better than that ugly fender

·
Registered
166 Posts
Awesome! I keep wondering why they keep making them with the shovel on them when everyone whacks them off pronto.

Helloooooooooooooo? Suuuuuuzuuuuukiiiiii? :)

Looks great man.

·
Registered
485 Posts
They have to make them like that for safety purpouses.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I did that same job without tearing the whole ass end of the bike all apart. ;)

Looks great and nice work.

So they sell black 650s now eh? I was gonna paint mine black but if they are selling black now no point in that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mr. Black said:
I did that same job without tearing the whole ass end of the bike all apart. ;)

Looks great and nice work.

So they sell black 650s now eh? I was gonna paint mine black but if they are selling black now no point in that.
Haha, well I wish I knew how you did that, would have saved me some time. Regardless it was interesting to see how the bike is pieced together.

It is more of a really dark grey colour btw, and sold in Canada and Europe. So drive up to Vancouver and buy one ;).

·
Registered
326 Posts
Thanks jeff for the color info.

Dark grey, regaurdless it is a good looking bike. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tpirocz said:
looks good. how do you like the CA tail light?
So far so good. The old tail light was a little brighter but the new one is growing on me. Fairly easy to see the signals. I didn't even bother putting the resistors in to slow down the signal speed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That looks awesome man. I know what you mean about taking that back fender off pronto..I cut mine down the first night I had it. I've been looking into doing one of the DIY fender eliminators but I wasnt impressed with any of the ones I've seen, but yours looks real good. I might have to give something a try. Thanks for sharing :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.