Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
F

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gel seats run around $110 from onieda...and corbins are just shy of 200. i am big, 6 ft 3 in, and 270lbs. i guess i have a bigg butt too. ;) does the corbin offer more surface area to better coddle my gluteus maximus, or should i stick with the jel seat? anyone own the corbin?

thanks
Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
The corbin comes with very firm, supportive foam. If you were sitting for 1-2 minutes, the squishy gel seat would be more comfy. If you are going on longer rides, the corbin is awesome... flat enough to let you move around and not squishy so you don't get pressure points. Worth the extra $$, and it doesn't fill up with water like the gel.
 
F

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is the corbin a completely different seat or do you have to remove some of the attachment hardware from the stock seat to put the corbin on the bike?

thanks,
joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,069 Posts
falcon said:
is the corbin a completely different seat or do you have to remove some of the attachment hardware from the stock seat to put the corbin on the bike?

thanks,
joe
Bolts right up, no mods necessary
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just put on my cobin and it is one of the best things I have done, I dont know why I waited so long.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,557 Posts
Lippy has a first-gen with the gel seat and from what I could tell, didn't feel a whole lot of difference vs. stock and therefore doesn't think he got value for the money.

I have a Sargent and love it. The Corbin is also good. The Sargent is a little flatter than the Corbin (first-gen) Regardless of generation, either one will bolt right up and be a MAJOR improvement over the stock seat. Of that I can guarantee.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,048 Posts
Don't even think of the gel seat. It'll add some ounce of longer riding with out pain/monkey butt, but not much. The Corbin or Sargent would be better for a long distance ride.

I did 500 miles down to Alcoa, TN for the Rally last Thursday (an 8 hour ride). We did tank to tank riding (150 miles before even thinking of stopping) I was fine on my seat until around 100 to 120 miles. But after moving a little bit I was fine. I could stand it, just needed to change pressure points.

On my way back from Fontana Village (a 9.5 hour ride now) and I was good until 125 or 130 miles before it was burning. But I needed to move some how to change the pressure points. The limiting factor was my knees on the way home.

I have the sargent on a naked 2000 SV with a little Buell screen. It's the best money spent. My stock seat is terrible after a 1/2 hour in the saddle. Long rides on the stocker consited of 100 miles a day...

On the 03 and up the gel seat might be better, but for first gen.... Corbin or Sargent is worth the money if you do long days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
I have a corbin I installed on my 03 Naked. I have had it on for about 2k miles now. It is much better then stock but to be honest after hearing all the great things about it I was expecting better performance. I rode about 1400 miles over 4 days this past weekend and after about an hour and a half the corbin starts to get uncomfortable. The shape of it feels like it was designed more for the S model since it is most comfortable when I am sitting in a more sporty position with weight on my wrist.

I guess I was expecting there to be no discomfort, is this unreasonable? The SV is my first streetbike no I have no past experiance to draw on. I was thinking about buying the sargent and Gel and see which one works best for me. Anyone had extended rides on the 03 gel seat? Any news on when sargent will finally be releasing their 03 seat?

The corbin website mentions a break in period.... Do you think 2k miles is enough to consider it broken in? Anyone have a sheepskin pad on their seat for long rides? The seat situation is frustrating I really wish suzuki would have put some more thought into the stock one.

THANKS!
SAM
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sammyj18 said:
The corbin website mentions a break in period.... Do you think 2k miles is enough to consider it broken in? Anyone have a sheepskin pad on their seat for long rides? The seat situation is frustrating I really wish suzuki would have put some more thought into the stock one.

THANKS!
SAM
Im using a sheepskin on my 03 I posted a pic in this thread http://www.sport-touring.net/cgi-bin/msgboard/ikonboard.cgi?s=ba63a6f5d294c6e0108b08b551d3a181;act=ST;f=3;t=17095 It does help, I just ordered a gel seat so I will give that one a try.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,333 Posts
I guess I don't understand this one either..

what an after market seat? what is wrong with stock seat..... if you get munkee butt and want to ride longer, change your underwear, guaranteed it will be more effective than an aftermarket seat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
RandyO said:
I guess I don't understand this one either..

what an after market seat? what is wrong with stock seat..... if you get munkee butt and want to ride longer, change your underwear, guaranteed it will be more effective than an aftermarket seat.
+1... but(t)... Randy. I agree that the most comfortable rides I've been on had me wearing padded bike shorts. I know some brands are make for motorcycle riders. That said, the stock seat leaves quite a bit to be desired, and the corbin & Sargent seats offer firmer & flatter surfaces. They also don't pitch your balls into the seats the way that the stocker does. That alone is worth 100, 200, 500... whatever it takes :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
687 Posts
sammyj18 said:
I have a corbin I installed on my 03 Naked. I have had it on for about 2k miles now. It is much better then stock but to be honest after hearing all the great things about it I was expecting better performance. I rode about 1400 miles over 4 days this past weekend and after about an hour and a half the corbin starts to get uncomfortable. The shape of it feels like it was designed more for the S model since it is most comfortable when I am sitting in a more sporty position with weight on my wrist.

I guess I was expecting there to be no discomfort, is this unreasonable? The SV is my first streetbike no I have no past experiance to draw on. I was thinking about buying the sargent and Gel and see which one works best for me. Anyone had extended rides on the 03 gel seat? Any news on when sargent will finally be releasing their 03 seat?

The corbin website mentions a break in period.... Do you think 2k miles is enough to consider it broken in? Anyone have a sheepskin pad on their seat for long rides? The seat situation is frustrating I really wish suzuki would have put some more thought into the stock one.

THANKS!
SAM
I agree with you I don't get it all the money we shell out and now I have to shell out more so my butt wont hurt or my wrist :roll: I took my stock seat to someone who does car seats and had them do it for me cost about $50 for my seat and the passenger seat too I ride two up a fair amount an my girl is small 4'11" :) I like it so far my butt doesn't hurt as much still hurts some but much better then before I just around and it's fine I'm 6'1"190 if that means anything 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
The '03 gell seat works fine for me on long distance rides - I'm 5'11 / 180 lbs. I also lowered my pegs and found more butt comfort in the process, not to mention my old hockey player knees thanked me...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
RandyO said:
if you get munkee butt and want to ride longer, change your underwear, guaranteed it will be more effective than an aftermarket seat.
Thats a good idea... I gotta try it out :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,048 Posts
The biggest thing with monkey butt is the loose clothing you are wearing. jeans under riding pants are the worst for long distances. On my ride to and from the gap I wore spandex shorts with a chamois sewn into the seat. IT was broad flat and man did it help out. Best money I spent out there.

But the underwear change is a good thing too! :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
gel seats

I agree with RandyO. Aftermarket seats are a big rip off. Got back from a 4 corner ride of the US a few weeks ago. The total ride was 12,285 miles and I did it on a stock seat 650 naked. I am 66 years old and weigh 180lbs. The guy who made the ride with me stopped in California and had a custom seat made at Rocky Mayer seats. It was a big rip off for over $500. What is wrong with the stock seat?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Re: gel seats

texkayaker said:
The total ride was 12,285 miles and I did it on a stock seat 650 naked.
Wow ! Now thats an iron butt ! :shock:
Seriously, that ride must have been a lot of fun..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
687 Posts
Re: gel seats

Mike said:
texkayaker said:
What is wrong with the stock seat?
Too narrow in the front, and way too soft.

You prolly got a fat ass and would be comfy on any seat. :D
:lol: hehehehehe
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top