Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 2008 SV650S with about 1200 miles. I was riding today and stopped at a friends for a bit. His driveway is angled so I parked near the bottom as to avoid a steep incline on the kickstand (of course it was leaning slightly more on the stand than normal but nothing that should even be close to a problem).

I walked out to start the bike and the oil icon on the digital screen was illuminated. So basically, I parked the bike and now it wont start because of the oil icon. (When I sit on the bike and read the oil gauge near my right knee its right at full so...)

Anyone have any ideas? Why won't it start? It still makes all the normal sounds and sights when i turn the key except the oil icon is now on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried holding the throttle while starting and still no luck. The engine just wont turn when I push the start button.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Does the engine turn over? Or does it do nothing?

If nothing, then you have one of the safety factors keeping it from starting. Kickstand down, in gear, clutch not pulled. If all of those are not the factor, then look for the clutch safety switch which is a little plug on the bottom of the clutch perch. It may have come unplugged.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
...or it's in gear and the stand down... don't ask,,,

·
Registered
784 Posts
I'll be derned. I can't believe this happened to me days after responding to this thread. The only difference is mine will NOT start no matter what!

1. Key on (all lights on, fuel pump runs, nothing unusual)
2. Neutral
3. Kickstand up
4. Engine switch on
5. Clutch in
6. Clutch switch connected
7. Throttle WIDE OPEN
8. Fuse panel under rear seat has 100% good fuses.
9. I hit the start button and nothing happens (except the headlight going out like it normally does).

It DOES roll start and run, just nothing when I hit the start button.

What am I missing? What's broke? TIA!

·
Super Moderator
8,604 Posts
A faulty clutch switch fits your symptoms exactly. Try unplugging the connector from the switch an do a temporary jumper with a paper clip.

The ground for the starter relay passes through the clutch switch.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
I'll be derned. I can't believe this happened to me days after responding to this thread. The only difference is mine will NOT start no matter what!

1. Key on (all lights on, fuel pump runs, nothing unusual)
2. Neutral
3. Kickstand up
4. Engine switch on
5. Clutch in
6. Clutch switch connected
7. Throttle WIDE OPEN
8. Fuse panel under rear seat has 100% good fuses.
9. I hit the start button and nothing happens (except the headlight going out like it normally does).

It DOES roll start and run, just nothing when I hit the start button.

What am I missing? What's broke? TIA!

battery

·
Registered
784 Posts
OK, no start after work. After several unsuccessful attempts at roll starting down the parking deck ramp (would have been worthy of a FAIL poster) I kept the start button down and wiggled the clutch in and out and found the right spot to complete the circuit. DOH! New clutch switch to be ordered.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts