Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

my accident and safety drivers class for the ticket

2K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  novakane 
#1 ·
OK, was about 11am on a hot day in June, I followed a car into the median in my old jobs work truck, there was 1 car infront of me, a Toyota Highlander or whatever. The coast is clear so she starts to go, so I start to go; she changes her mind and stops, I also stop but I hit her at a speed that was so incredibly slow I can't believe I caused damage. I could have done WAY MORE damage with a single punch to her bumper but whatever, it was my own fault so I got a ticket for like, 80 bux and I signed up for the class to get the points erased from my record.

This Saturday I went to the class for it, I was running a lil behind so I took the bike so I could make up the time. During the beginning everybody, sigh, stands and says their name, wtf happened and how much the ticket was. I was the ONLY PERSON who #1 - had a story that didn't exceed 2 minutes and #2 admitted I was entirely at fault for the ticket. Half of the class was old as hell, and the other half were complete morons. The old people that were there told stories that made me sooooo frigging scared to be on the road with my bike, talking about switching over 3 lanes to goto Albertsons like they "always do" and somebody doesn't stop for them, yadda yadda.

So we leave the class, I follow this old ass'd woman around the parking lot to the stop sign and we're waiting for the cars to clear so we can jump on the main road. She comes INCHES, INCHES!!!!!!! of getting soooo owned by an SUV, I couldn't believe wtf I had just seen. We're out of the safety class no more than 5 minutes and this bitch is at it again. Which leads me to the conclusion; after a certain age old people need to have their vision/senses checked ATLEAST once a year.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying old people are the only ones that drive bad but that would be a good place to start, no?

See less See more
G
#3 ·
you should just take the online safety class, it counts the same in this state. If you have not had a ticket after several years you should have 'positive' points. I got a reckless(speeding ticket) and ended up with only 1 point(+5 minus the 6 from the ticket), and took the class for a +4 :p

#4 ·
i was going to take it online, that was the plan but i heard a rumor that they weren't turning in the certificates in time and people were getting in trouble :-X but i mean who doesnt like to sit in a classroom on early saturday morning for, what feels like, eternity

#14 ·
i agree, old people are scary on the road! we made my grandma stop driving because she got in two accidents (her fault) and claimed she didnt know what happened. so ya, no keys for you granny. but as far as makin mandatory vision, hearing tests for driving purposes, its "unconstitutional". they tried something like that here in michigan and it was shot down big time. they claimed age discrimination. WTF?

#17 ·
novakane said:
One girl was there for the 5th year in a row *last allowed time in ones lifetime* and she was 22. Can you say dumbass?
Must be a Florida thing. I've taken def. driving at least 6 or 7 times. I'm pretty consistent and once every two years getting a ticket. No accidents, though. I'm from Texas, by the way. I have a CLEEEEEEAN record, too.

#18 ·
I have been almost side swiped at least a half dozen times by gray haired people that don't look or can't see and I see them do the that wrong lane turn across 2 or 3 lanes all the time... I just come to expect that any person with gray/blue hair and can barely see over the wheel is just an accident waiting to happen and I avoid them like the plague by passing or somehow putting distance between them.

I think after 50... people should have to have the eye test and do a driving (not written test) every other year at least to keep license. When I get old and if told I can't drive... so be it. ;)

#20 ·
My dear grandmother was one of those stubborn people who continued to drive up to her 90s. She lost her license and still drove (when she could get away with it.) We took away her keys and she still drove. We finally had to sell her car to get her to stop driving. Between the time that she lost her license (at around age 82) to the time we finally sold her car (age 91) she had caused more than 8 serious accidents.

Fortunately, most of those were single vehicle. One time she completely trashed her carport trying to back the car in. And the last accident she had was major. She ran a stopsign and T-boned a little Chevy Caprice literally tearing it in half and sending a lady to the hospital with internal injuries. I was afraid they were going to lock her up, but we agreed to sell her car and not allow her to buy another one. That was enough for the cops and the lady luckily.

Another thing that bothers me is that insurance companies will keep insuring really old people--even give them huge senior citizen discounts--when they have no business being on the road. Sometimes when they don't even have a license---like my grandmother. I mean it was lucky that she dd have insurance, but she shouldn't have since she didn't have a license.

#21 ·
Novadesigns said:
Sometimes when they don't even have a license---like my grandmother. I mean it was lucky that she dd have insurance, but she shouldn't have since she didn't have a license.
yeah... that is totally wrong... its like saying "even though you are not legal to drive... we support you even if you still want to drive"

I am afraid my grandfather is going to have accident one day and doubt he will give up driving himself either. He pulls out in front of traffic sometimes and barely escapes getting hit because he creeps off the line and doesn't judge distnce well. I still remember the day he took a corner on wet pavement once while I was with him (off camber corner that turn back a bit making suspension light) and he spun the car around nearly missing car waiting to turn on road we came off of. He actually took his hands off the wheel. Then when we stopped... he just grabbed wheel and turned car in right direction and took off like nothing happened and said to me "I meant to do that" ::)

#25 ·
my experience is that younger drivers are the ones that are dangerous, they think they can drive better, they think they have faster reactions that allows them to follow to close, drive too fast and do things other than drive while they are driving

#26 ·
AlexJ said:
Everyone, regardless of age should have to retake their driving test every 5 years.
i like that idea alex. it would be kinda a pain in the ass for most people, but it would rid the problem of discrimination and all that. and hey, insurance would most likely go down down down.

but what exactly is this "class" thing you took? ill do almost anything to get a few points off my record.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.