Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

21 - 40 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I did, but a rear drive is simpler and more efficient. At my power level 4000W (About 5 horsepower), I don't have any issues with traction, except when I give it too much throttle mid corner (too much torque), I've lost the rear a few times but I manage to recover after the rear snakes a bit.

With the motor I'm looking to double the power output 8000w, straight line traction should be no problem, its when I'm leaned over that I have to be careful about sending too much torque to the rear.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Did this need to be licensed / plated?

and can you recharge off of a 110V plug or do you need the special charger I saw earlier in the thread.
Technically it's still a bicycle so it doesn't have to registered or insured. It's virtually quiet and looks like a bicycle unless you look at it up close.

It charges off a 110v plug. It takes me only 20mins to charge since I have a 1300w charging system.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
New motor came, basically a electric scooter motor mounted on a bicycle. 60mph, and capable of 10,000w power. Its going to be a monster.

The idea is to own a bike thats lightweight (under 100lbs), full suspension, full hydraulic disc brakes, fully electric so it costs pennies to charge, instant torque and power delivery, ability to carry on a bike rack (so its portable), quiet compared to gas vehicles so it doesn't attract attention, I can take it off-roading and on bike trails, the ability to hit 40-60mph on long stretches of road, most importantly the ability to pull away from cars that try to harass me, not to mention the acceleration and power from a electric motor can embarrass most cars.

I still pedal, even though my legs put out only 100-300 watts, the motor easily puts out 3800watts. I extend my range by pedalling.

In electrical terms 750watts = 1 horsepower. In the videos my motor is putting out about 4.5 horsepower since its only 85% efficient. Not bad compared to a gas motor which is about 35% efficient. The beautiful of a electric motor is not the horsepower but the massive amount of torque that it generates. Instant torque, you can pulled back then you hit the throttle, no lag, no waiting. Roughly 135Nm of torque from a stop.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
You should it rides like a lightweight motorcycle, and much easier to ride.

Low sided my fiancees electric bike today. Aggressive riding with high speed, too much lean angle and slippery surface, rear tire slid out. Skinny tires too.
The mirror took most of the impact, no damage to the bike and batteries. Good thing I was wearing gloves and helmet. Going to put a wider rear tire.

Here bike is lightweight 50lbs loaded, and 38mph top speed at 63 volts 3000 Watt power. It absolutely screams like a RC motor at high speed.

Heres what it sounds like

·
Registered
442 Posts
As a 2-month owner of a Zero FX 5.7, I love your electric bike and laughed heartily at the videos.

My SV650 has been mainly parked since I got the Zero. I took it out two times; the first time to compare it with the Zero, and the second time to keep the battery alive. The Zero has pretty much killed my desire to ride the SV (it being gas-powered has made me lose interest... not to mention the engine characteristic of the Zero is simply better than the SV). I'm keeping it around mainly as a backup in case something happens to the Zero. Now, actually, I'm looking into selling the SV to fund a ... electric bicycle. Been perusing http://electricbikereview.com and was very happy to find this thread. :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
So was the total build around $1300k?? (Minus the bike)
Yes that's about how much the electrical components cost not including the bike. You can certainly spend less but you won't go as fast. My first build cost me $700, and it topped out at 30mph.

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
Yes that's about how much the electrical components cost not including the bike. You can certainly spend less but you won't go as fast. My first build cost me $700, and it topped out at 30mph.
30mph seems plenty to me.

How important are the suspension and disc brakes? I have a hybrid bike that I would love to convert to electric, but it has no suspension and has rim brakes.

21 - 40 of 135 Posts